PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Reloading tools you would hate to do without, and why???

Blanket
03-15-2013, 07:25 PM
I thought this might spark some thought as well as share what really works great old or new. Mine to start off with are a Redding number 7 C-frame press, have had since I was a kid but the really great thing about it is 1 stroke of the handle either up or down moves the ram thru a full cycle of up and down. Makes sizing and belling pistol brass or seating bullets on all calibers half the work. 2nd is a powder trickler also Redding and the reason is it's weighted base. The 3rd is a plain old Lee old round primer tool, just wish you still get parts. So what is yours???? Russ

Lead Fred
03-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Kinetic Hammer

I'd not be a perfectionist without it

1bluehorse
03-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Easy answer...everything I have on the bench...reason...I don't want to go back to a Lee Loader...EVER..

Hogdaddy
03-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Easy answer...everything I have on the bench...reason...I don't want to go back to a Lee Loader...EVER..

I even got a few of them on the bench,, I use parts out of em every now and again ; )
H/D

dragon813gt
03-15-2013, 08:48 PM
RCBS Chargemaster. I hate trickling powder by hand. And the powder measures can be finicky. Set it once and let it do it's thing.

The tools that I really couldn't do without are any that don't require power or batteries to work. You never know. Which is why I have Lee Loaders for important cartridges.

novalty
03-15-2013, 08:49 PM
RCBS Automatic Bench Primer. Have arthritis, and it it seats primers easily and allows you to feel them seat.

53caddy
03-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Lee universal decapping die. I would be useless without it while cleaning brass.

Bullshop
03-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Something as simple as my deburring tool. Its been in constant use for nearly 35 years.

marlin39a
03-15-2013, 09:18 PM
My Dandy Products, Omega, 2 Speed, Electric Powder Trickler. Makes hand weighed charges fast. $67.00 at Midway, and worth every penny.

bear67
03-15-2013, 09:21 PM
My old ugly Herters press that I started with in 1959--It was in the stuff stolen last weekend, Darnit.

dtknowles
03-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Press, dies, scale. Make or model does not matter much.

btroj
03-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Dillon 550B and Harrell powder measure.
While other tools will do everything they do the other tools are not as much of a joy to use.

wv109323
03-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Star Loader in .45 ACP
Star Loader in .38 Special
Star Lubri-Sizers
If you don't know I could not explain it to you.

ultramag
03-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Power accessories for case prep.....would really hate to go back to doing all that the old way again.

yooper
03-15-2013, 11:29 PM
My old-style Lee priming tools with the screw-in shell holders. I've been using them for years, and really prefer priming off-press. I can do my priming in the living room, chatting with the wife, scratching the dog and half watching the useless TV programming. That way, TV watching isn't a complete loss as I'm getting something worthwhile done. I load on a single stage A2 press, so priming independently doesn't interrupt the flow of a progressive press.
yooper

oldfart1956
03-16-2013, 12:17 AM
This website. Seriously. Audie....

Kevin Rohrer
03-16-2013, 12:23 AM
I would hate to be w/o my Vernier calipers. Prior to owning one, I didn't even know what one was; now I use it everyday I reload.

Blanket
03-16-2013, 01:47 AM
Some good honest answers, Let's hear some more. Lubed up some 44 Keith bullets on one of my stars after I posted this would hate to do without one.

Huntducks
03-16-2013, 03:13 AM
Everything i now own.

What should be asked is what would you like to own.

Lloyd Smale
03-16-2013, 06:59 AM
550 dillon, a electronic scale and dispensor, dillon press mounted case trimmer.

M-Tecs
03-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Dillion 1050 and Giraud case trimmer http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

LUBEDUDE
03-16-2013, 01:54 PM
It ALL has a purpose.

jmort
03-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Hand primer and powder dippers. Between the two, the dippers. Safest way to charge a case, no moving parts and static volume.

375supermag
03-16-2013, 09:35 PM
I have three tools that I would truly hate to be without.
Powder scale, RCBS bench-mounted APS priming system and .45ACP profile crimp die.
I am also quite attached to my electric powered RCBS Case-Mate case prep tool.
Someday, I will probably buy a new powder measure, but it will never replace my Lil Dandy pistol powder measure.

I plan to upgrade to a progressive press one day, but I firmly believe that my RockChucker will still be cranking out ammunition for my grandson after my son is done with it. It will always be bolted to my bench.

Reverend Recoil
03-16-2013, 10:47 PM
I would hate to be without this little gadget. It is a right-angle prism mounted in an adjustable frame to make reading beam scales quicker and more precise.

The Handy View is a new item by Dandy Products, created to enable the reloader to view the beam scale alignment marks without bending over in an uncomfortable position. It is a portable prism that makes it much easier for the reloader to view the tip of the beam scale, when the scale is on the benchtop.

http://www.omegapowdertrickler.com/

DanAKAL
03-16-2013, 10:49 PM
I need all of my tools and some I don't even have yet. But the one tool that would really cramp my style if it were missing is my humble shop vac. There are just some things a shop vac can do that nothing else can.

Dan

wallenba
03-16-2013, 10:49 PM
My RCBS case prep center. It takes a lot of the work out of prepping new cases and does it quicker.

r1kk1
03-17-2013, 10:10 AM
JDS Quick Measure and RCBS ChargeMaster. Two of the finest powder measures I know.
4D die company for my indulgence in wildcats. Now it's CH4D.
550b.
P/W 375c shotshell press.
Wilson trimmer and dies.
K&M primer seater with gauge and neck turner.
Tempilaq heat indicating fluid.

Take care

r1kk1

hiram1
03-17-2013, 03:00 PM
My dillons they work well for me.

captbligh
03-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Lyman case prep center. Comes with all the attachments unlike some others. I did replace the primer pocket cleaner with an RCBS wire pocket cleaner - works much better and fits the threads on the Lyman case prep.

Texantothecore
03-18-2013, 11:11 AM

My Lee Classic Loader. I love that tool.

Oddly enough.

Kent Fowler
03-18-2013, 01:28 PM
My old-style Lee priming tools with the screw-in shell holders. I've been using them for years, and really prefer priming off-press. I can do my priming in the living room, chatting with the wife, scratching the dog and half watching the useless TV programming. That way, TV watching isn't a complete loss as I'm getting something worthwhile done. I load on a single stage A2 press, so priming independently doesn't interrupt the flow of a progressive press.
yooper

That old Lee priming tool was a goodie. Had one in .357 and it was smooth as silk. Didn't have the long travel like my RCBS does. A good friend of mine borrowed it then unfortunately died in a hunting accident and I never got it back. Seems like I saw an extra shell holder for it a while back. Just can't remember where.

TheCelt
03-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Press mounted Lee Auto-Prime II, makes primer seating a breeze!!!!

yooper
03-18-2013, 07:19 PM
What an interesting thread! Members loading with everything from the oldest hand tools to the newest progressive presses and measuring powders with everything from measuring scoops to electronic scales. And, if carefully done, each method can yield perfectly safe and accurate ammo. What a great and fascinating hobby! I'm also certain that it could be a money saver if we didn't have to get more odds and ends of equipment, whether it's the latest and greatest or unearthing an ancient press or tool that we "just have to have". :kidding:
yooper

429421Cowboy
03-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Assuming we figure that a press and dies of some sort or a Lee Loader (which are so satisfying to load on, i have taken to collecting them as i can now), scales, manuals and such are pretty much NEED to have loading tools, i take this thread to mean other things. For me, I loaded rifle so long without a trickler, when i finally got a used one somebody had already filled with lead, now i would hate to go back to using an empty case to trickle! I also have just gotten a case cleaner and have really come to appreciate that as well, the little things are what makes loading a little easier for me, the basics are all we really *need* but a few extras like primer pocket cleaners, loading blocks and other things are what make it nice!

HangFireW8
03-18-2013, 10:49 PM
I could make do with most any press, but I couldn't reload without my RCBS Casemaster and Redding Type S Full Length dies. It would mean going back to the bad old days of poor groups and unexplained flyers.

USMC87
03-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Dillon 550b,Rockchucker, Rcbs charge master scale dispenser, Rcbs case prep center,Rcbs power trimmer, And my radio to play the gospel while I load.

Kull
03-18-2013, 11:39 PM
Air compressor.

Wilkie
03-18-2013, 11:48 PM
My little black book with all the loads for cast and j-words I've ever done. And my Chrony. I love that tool!

gandydancer
03-18-2013, 11:54 PM
My Lee hand priming tools.

MT Chambers
03-19-2013, 02:40 AM
My Co-ax press and one of my Star sizers.

TheDoctor
03-19-2013, 08:59 AM
My Lee universal decapping dies, and my RCBS Power Trim Pro w/ 3 way cutter. Oh, and my rockchucker.

EDG
03-19-2013, 01:22 PM
The Stony Point headspace gage gadget that attached to my calipers.
My 60 year old Brown & Sharpe micrometer
My el cheapo Chinese calipers from Midway
My half dozen Lee hand priming tools with screw in shell holders
Forster trimmer
AMT/Lyman Auto scale which will accurately dispense any extruded powder
My little 8oz DoAll dead blow soft faced hammer

itry
03-19-2013, 08:28 PM
My guns. Sometimes they are on the bench. Without them there would be no spent brass to reload, to shoot, to reload. HAH!
itry

tinsnips
03-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Co-Ax press ,Star sizer,and this forum

TuxAir
04-19-2013, 02:49 AM
My homemade ergo handle and homemade press riser for my Lee classic turret press. Makes for comfortable lengthy reloading sessions.

Reverend Al
04-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Everything I have for my reloading bench is all good equipment and does a good job when called upon, but I'm sure glad that I have a couple of tapered expanding rods that are perfect for making little mouthed cases into BIG mouth cases when reforming brass to other calibres. Makes for a lot less stressful fire-forming with a lot less split cases!
:-)

Infidel
04-19-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure. Too much pooh accumulates on the benches. I know I have 4 presses bolted down....somewhere in there! It's all the stuff I'm currently tinkering on. Last week it was all clean! But, it is all useful and precious stuff. Face it guys, we are all hoarders!!

W.R.Buchanan
04-19-2013, 12:10 PM
On my reloading bench the most used tool is my RockChucker press. I would have to have it or something like it to continue.

As far as my shop goes the most valuable machine in it is my Air compressor. I am an avid supporter of blowing stuff off machines and then blowing it into piles. much more effective than sweeping.

An AC was the first electric powered machine I bought, right after I built my first knife grinder. I quickly realized that blowing out the shop was a better way to clean than trying to sweep up literally pounds of grinding dust which landed in every nook and cranny.

I can't operate with out one and I have a back up in case my big one goes down. :mrgreen:

Randy

km101
04-19-2013, 07:19 PM
The 3rd is a plain old Lee old round primer tool, just wish you still get parts. So what is yours???? Russ

Yes, Lee really messed up when they quit making this one! Thankfully I have enough spare parts to keep my two running for a long time.

nvald1982
05-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Progressive press! learned on my friends single stage press after awhile I purchased lnl progressive a lot better. after my friend tried my press out, he ended up buying lnl progressive!