PDA

View Full Version : Monotpye / ww mixtures?

apapro
03-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Hey all...... Been snooping around here for a bit, gaining a wealth of knowledge. Thanks

I have a question maybe some of you can answer. I just bought 220 lbs of linotype and 100 lbs of monotype from a local guy here in Saskatchewan. Does anyone have a blend (ie: 4 lbs / 1 lbs) to mix the monotype with clip on ww??

I want to run the linotype in my Shiloh sharps .45-70 and my 1886 Win. .45-90 and I have been told that the monotype is much harder (30-40%). I would like to mix the mono and ww to get a metal that would be in the same / close to the same Bhn as linotype.

Anyone have any information they would be willing to share??

Thanks

Charlie Two Tracks
03-16-2013, 08:37 AM
If you follow this link, you can download an alloy calculator. It is very handy and you can plug in your materials until you get an alloy you want. Quite a nice tool to have.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?105952-Lead-alloy-calculators

runfiverun
03-16-2013, 06:22 PM
holy hard..........man.
I don't even run high velocity boolits close to that alloy.

Defcon-One
03-17-2013, 07:48 PM
I agree that Linotype is a bit hard for even rifle use. I shoot gas checked Lyman #2 in my rifles with great success. It makes the Linotype and Monotype last a lot longer and uses up the other softer metals, too.

To get pretty close to Linotype with COWW and Monotype just mix them 50/50. The same amount of each in the pot will get you about 11% on the Antimony which is only 1 point off of Linotype and the Tin will only be 0.63% higher than Linotype.

Your gun will never notice the minor difference.

apapro
03-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the reply guys......I'll give the 50/50 a go and see what the bullets cast out as far as hardness goes. Looking to make the COWW a little harder for the sharps, and 1886......just want to savour the amount of lino / mono and make it last awhile!!!