PDA

View Full Version : Size fresh boolits?

Bisbee
03-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Is it advisable to let freshly cast boolits cure for a day or two before sizing and lubing? I’m not sure so I thought I would ask the experts. Thanks..

Screwbolts
03-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Bisbee: I prefer to check and size them as soon as possible, many of my Boolitz are water dropped and it will effect there hardness by waiting. Every time you work a metal it effects its structure changing its characteristics some.

Others will explain it much better than I have

fecmech
03-15-2013, 07:45 PM
No expert here, just a lazy caster. They size easier(they are softer) right after they've been cast. Also as poster above stated, water dropped bullets get hard quick and can be hard on your sizer.

johnho
03-15-2013, 08:11 PM
I get bored sometimes now that I am retired so I go out in garage and cast about 35 pounds whenever I can. I just store them in boxes labeled with the bullet and pounds and wrap the boxes with duct tape as I had one pop out on me once. Little buggers all over the place. I just store them raw for some later date. Now have about 800 pounds of the darn things and still adding. It's an addiction.

runfiverun
03-15-2013, 08:25 PM
for air cooled I just make them until the bucket is full then make something else and store them.
i'll go through and lube a bucket every now and then,or do 4-5 buckets in a week.

Hyphenated
03-15-2013, 10:07 PM
The rate at which your alloy 'cures' is based on it's composition. Some benefit more than others with time. Air cooled WW's should rest 10-14 days to full hardness. Some experts say wait the two weeks...others say you can size them the next day. Everybody's got an opinion.

WHITETAIL
03-16-2013, 12:22 PM
I don't know because I just fill the bucket
up with what ever I am out of and load as needed.
Which could be along while between loadings.:cbpour:

rexherring
03-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Never had a problem with sizing soon after making them. I just did a bunch of Lee 125 RNFP for my .38 yesterday and have never had a problem with sizing or loading diameter changes.