PDA

View Full Version : Houston we have a problem

Brett Ross
03-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Hi, all I have a 69/71 Vetterli , I just converted to CF. I used the pin carrier method. I got it all together a few nights ago and fired off a few primers ,100% popped. As, I am waiting on Dies, the test was done with primers only in some pulled down Privi lebels cases. My problem is while fitting my home made firing pin, I notice the machinist had , for some reason, started off with a bit oversized drill bit, than after approximately 1/32 depth change to the proper sized bit for my firing pin. I did not think much of it, well that is until last night. I remembered reading in different "how too instructions" to be careful not to countersink the pin hole. This got me thinking "why" and the reason I came up with and confirmed by further reading was, Primer puncture. Now finally to my question. What is the Max diameter of a firing pin, for a LRP. I am now at .084 and think I could clean the hole up .100 will that be too big?
Tony

enfield
03-15-2013, 05:48 PM
that sounds quite large, I used a piece of 1/16 ( .0625 ) stainless steel for a pin. if you use .10 you may want to turn down the tip of it where it comes out of the bolt face. as far as the brass goes, I used .348 win brass cut to 1.5" and pushed it about 3/8" into a 7.62x54 die to neck it down and then another die (I cant remember wich one right now) just to pinch it another couple thou. and they chambered and held a 44 boolit sized down to about .423 very nicely.

Nobade
03-15-2013, 08:59 PM
I would drill and tap the bolt for a set screw, then Loctite that in and drill the correct size hole in it. Face it off flush with the bolt face and polish lightly. This is how I do Remington bolts and it works well to get the right size hole and center it on the bolt. Don't tap all the way through so the screw jams into the threads. That and the Loctite and it won't come loose.

I use 8mm Lebel cases, cut off at 1.6 inches. Fireform, then never need dies. Since the neck is tapered, just cut the case at whatever length it needs to be to fit the boolit you want to shoot. I use .425" boolits paper patched to .433", but every one of those rifles is different it seems.

-Nobade

Brett Ross
03-16-2013, 06:24 PM
No blade, is this somting you would be willing to do? , for price of coures. I think it me be a bit above my skill level and I do not trust to take it back the the guy that messed it up in the first place.
Tony

Nobade
03-16-2013, 09:11 PM
No blade, is this somting you would be willing to do? , for price of coures. I think it me be a bit above my skill level and I do not trust to take it back the the guy that messed it up in the first place.
Tony

PM inbound...

-Nobade

Brett Ross
03-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Nobade, I when ahead and reformed 4 lebel cases and looked at the primers for problems , all looked ok. I then loaded these four cases with 12 grains of unique along with the 310 grain lee cast boolit, they fired great. I am having issues with loading this boolit to run through the mag as the boolit runs into the rifleing at 2.20" and I have to shorten them up, any suggestions on a different boolit.

Nobade
03-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Glad to hear it is working! You might check Accurate mold's site, he has two different boolits made just for the Vetterli.

-Nobade

Brett Ross
03-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Yea, it would have been fun to shoot, if not for the blizzard occurring at the time (spring my @@@ ). I will scout around the site for some boolits to try. I don't mind paying for a custom mold if I know it will work for my rifle.