PDA

View Full Version : My brass is being held hostage in WI!!!

Adam10mm
08-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Got 2K 40S&W brass off a guy here.

Certified letter today from the PO in Oak Creek, WI says they are holding my package.

States mystery substance was coming out of package. Must have opened in transit. Opened package to inspect it. Noticed "bullet casings for a small firearm" with "remnants of burned gunpowder". Can't forward to my PO box because it is now considered to be hazardous and is too dangerous to ship it air or ground.

Said I or my agent can pick it up in person within 3days of letter's receipt or I can have them destroy it for a fee. Yeah right. Some ****** that loads 40S&W is going to get 2K brass for free and I'm out $35!!

I am beyond pissed!!

Called the "HazMat squad" leader from planet Vulcan and left a nice message on his VM detailing the handling properties of gun powder and its residue after is has been burned.

Specifically mentioned DO NOT DESTROY. Told him whoever made the call to hold said package should go back to HazMat school and get retrained. Forwarded Hodgdon's Customer Care number to discuss with said Federal ****** Leader the properties of BURNED gunpowder and its benigne state. Told him to drop it off at FedEx or UPS and have them handle it and I'll pay him back the $20 HM fee they charge.

If this doesn't work, does someone in Oak Creek want to pick it up, repackage it, and mail it to me? How bout $20 for your troubles?

Lee
08-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck.
I can't begin to imagine what might have "leaked" out.
It's all just more proof that inmates are running the asylum.
I'd request photographic evidence.
Run the whole 10 yards on them a$$holes.

Sorry, I'm not even involved, and I hate to get sucker-punched like that.....Lee;-)

Jim
08-18-2007, 01:13 AM
Jeeesh, that makes me feel bad for ya'. The ground at our club is littered with .40S&W brass and I just put a Taurus .40 on lay away 'cause the brass is so available. Sure sorry to hear you had a first hand experience with government intelligence.

NuJudge
08-18-2007, 03:52 AM
Call your Members of Congress. You have one in the US House
http://www.house.gov/
and two in the US Senate
http://www.senate.gov/

I understand your being angry, but be polite. Call their District office. Give your name and address, tell them that you bought some inert already-been-fired cases, and someone from the US Postal Service first damaged your package, then decided that anything related to ammunition had to be hazardous.

Ask that they intervene to prevent further destruction of your property. Ask for an explanation of who damaged and how your property was damaged. Ask for what training US Postal Service employees are given to help them differentiate inert items such as your property, from other related things. Ask for compensation for damage to your property.

CDD

LarryM
08-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Ask for compensation for damage to your property.

Got to disagree with that! Do not ASK, DEMAND.

S.R.Custom
08-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Ask the post office why you are being held responsible for what is quite obviously the sender's problem, and suggest to them that the mystery substance is dirt from where the little buggers were scooped up off the ground.

Not that you'll get anywhere. Postal employees are intentionally not trained in the reality and legality of firearms and firearm related shipments. Quite the contrary, they are minimally instructed about some things, not at all about most things, and taught to act hysterical and refer you to a (ever absent) supervisor, who only seems to be more versed in the art of hysteria...

That said, the $35 is not worth your time. File a missing package claim and forget about it, and know that for the next six months stupid people will be tearing their hair out and getting really nervous about nothing at all. http://fordsix.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif

kenjuudo
08-18-2007, 09:55 AM
I just recieved a package of brass that had burst open, it was retaped, and a sticker put on it that said NO AIR SHIPMENT, arrived a week after another box sent on the same day.

I think each Mail Nazi makes his/her own rules as they go......

jim

Dale53
08-18-2007, 10:25 AM
A lot of these mail problems could be easily avoided by proper packaging. I have been the recipient of packages that run the extreme from "more protection than the space shuttle gets" to almost no protection at all. One thing I will tell you, the better it is packaged the less problems you will have.

Dale53

VTDW
08-18-2007, 10:37 AM
A lot of these mail problems could be easily avoided by proper packaging. I have been the recipient of packages that run the extreme from "more protection than the space shuttle gets" to almost no protection at all. One thing I will tell you, the better it is packaged the less problems you will have.

Dale53

AMEN!!! One fella I purchase lead from builds a wooden box that fits perfectly in a flat rate USPS box. I love it as they run rough-shod over the flat rate packages.

DanM
08-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Guys....It has always been illegal to ship fired brass via US mail. Check the regs. We just do it anyway and DON'T TALK ABOUT IT....

Bullshop
08-18-2007, 11:54 AM
DanM
How about if that brass has been deprimed and cleaned? Just seems weard to me that you cant ship fired brass but you can ship primed brass.
Sign of the times?
BIC/BS

Scrounger
08-18-2007, 12:45 PM
DanM
How about if that brass has been deprimed and cleaned? Just seems weard to me that you cant ship fired brass but you can ship primed brass.
Sign of the times?
BIC/BS

I don't believe there is a rule against shipping brass, I've shipped and received a lot through USPS. Some Nervous Nellie just over-reacted to the unknown substance, not likely powder, coming from the package. Once again, the key is to wrap and seal securely anything you ship. Don't use the $4.05 Flat Rate Pack for anything that is bulky or weighs more than 2 or 3 pounds. Even the $9 pack has its' limitations, personally I wouldn't put more than 40# in it, and every seam must be taped; the contents need to be confined so it doesn't roll around or shift back and forth, that will destroy a cardboard box. The heavier it is, the more likely it will be dropped. These aren't USPS rules, just common sense things I do myself, and I haven't had any problems yet.

DanM
08-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Here is a link to the regs: http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/Pub52/pub52a1.pdf What I understand is that whole loaded ammo is OK. New or new looking unprimed brass is OK. Primed brass, either new or spent primed brass is a no-no. The regs are difficult to understand, no surprise there, and your local postmaster can pretty much do what he wants. My point is that this should be handled softly and quietly. The USPS is very aware of hazardous materials now, with good reason. No sense in stirring up the anti's or a government agency over a small point that we cannot win. The brass should have been better packed, then nothing would have been said. If we make a stink about this, they will just stiffen the regs and crack down on all ammo shipments. We don't want to see this on the 6:00 news....

Scrounger
08-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Guys....It has always been illegal to ship fired brass via US mail. Check the regs. We just do it anyway and DON'T TALK ABOUT IT....

Not to argue with you, but that is news to me, and I don't want to break any rules. Do you have a reference to that regulation?

Edward429451
08-18-2007, 01:26 PM
<Guys....It has always been illegal to ship fired brass via US mail. Check the regs. We just do it anyway and DON'T TALK ABOUT IT....>

Yeah, that's news to me. Last week I was shipping out some 30/06 brass for a trade and had it in a freezer baggie in an untaped flat rate box. Taped the bottom and forgot to support the open side and when I flipped it over, the baggie slipped out onto the floor and spent 30/06 brass went everywhere on the floor right inside the PO. I got lotsa laughs and lotsa help picking it up from other customers in line. I went ahead and shipped it with no sign of the nazis behind the counter getting excited...

??

Scrounger
08-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I followed your regulations link and you are correct. There are a lot of people breaking that rule, even quoting USPS shipping rates on EBAY. So, if you're going to break that rule, seal it in plastic and package it well.

DanM
08-18-2007, 02:11 PM
I followed your regulations link and you are correct. There are a lot of people breaking that rule, even quoting USPS shipping rates on EBAY. So, if you're going to break that rule, seal it in plastic and package it well.

Yeah, a little scary to think about how many times we and others have broken this rule. Myself included. See what I mean about the 6:00 news? The antis have jumped on smaller stuff than this. I don't know how we should handle this, but maybe this whole thread should be deleated. Then again maybe I am just being paranoid....

KYCaster
08-18-2007, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE=DanM;213384]Here is a link to the regs: http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/Pub52/pub52a1.pdf What I understand is that whole loaded ammo is OK. New or new looking unprimed brass is OK. Primed brass, either new or spent primed brass is a no-no.

From the link you provided, pages 117, 118, 119, 130, 131....all catagories of "ammunition", "cartridges" and "cases" are prohibited.

I went through this about a year ago trying to ship five boxes of rifle ammo to another member here. Called the USPS help line and the nice lady looked it up, quoted the regs and e-mailed me the link so I could verify it. Fedex said they would ship it at a special hazardous rate for ammo...minimum $80.00.

UPS requires a hazmat sticker....Small Arms Ammunition...ORM-D. And it must be taken to a UPS office, not a "pack-n-ship" store. Shipping cost was about 12 bucks for a three pound package.

And be prepared to spend an hour or so dealing with the friendly, intelligent counter persons. You'll have to speak to at least three levels of supervisors before somebody decides to call the help line.(the same one I called for info) And answer all the pertinant questions, like ( I'm not making these up )

"Why do you want to ship this stuff?"...Ans..."Cause I have it and somebody in Oklahoma wants it."

"Do you know the person you're shipping this to?"....Ans..."No."

"How many calivers (not a typo) are in there?"...This one was obviously a repeat of the person on the help line. Ans..."22." Then the clerk said into the phone, "OK, it's less than 50."

And my favorite, "How do you know that the guy you're shipping this to won't use it to kill himself?"

So with a little patience it can be done legally.

Jerry

alamogunr
08-18-2007, 09:18 PM
OK! The regulations say NO once fired brass w/spent primers. Right? I've just received 4 packages in the last week. No question what was in them. They rattled loud enough to wake the dead. I guess there will be fewer infractions now that Ebay no longer permits auctions of brass, bullets, etc. Since that is the only thing I bought on Ebay, besides books, I guess I can close my account. As a side note, in past years I picked up some real gems in the gun book line. Glad I did. They will probably take those off next.

John

redneckdan
08-18-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm a firm beleiver in the application of duct tape to flat rate boxes. Montana charlie can bear testimant to the mess we went through shipping lead to montana.

Adam, I have .40 brass for you if you want it.

JesterGrin_1
08-18-2007, 10:04 PM
With my humble .02 it is not the fault of the shipper but the person that boxed it up and had it shipped. It should have been packaged correctly to avoid all of the problems that have come to pass.

So if you can not get the package from the shipper then you should get your funds back for not getting the product that you were sent.

mike in co
08-18-2007, 10:15 PM
ok i just read these regs. the first thing i notice....if its on the list it is restricted or banned.( the inverese, if its not on thelist, it is not restricted, so ok)
since i did not see, it must be ok.

but i did not see empty cases with spent primer listed.....

someone care to tell me page and line,

thanks
mike

Shiloh
08-18-2007, 10:39 PM
I just recieved a package of brass that had burst open, it was retaped, and a sticker put on it that said NO AIR SHIPMENT, arrived a week after another box sent on the same day.

jim

I think you are correct on this. What fun is discretionary authority if it can't be applied
indiscriminately?? :roll:

Shiloh

KYCaster
08-18-2007, 11:17 PM
ok i just read these regs. the first thing i notice....if its on the list it is restricted or banned.( the inverese, if its not on thelist, it is not restricted, so ok)
since i did not see, it must be ok.

but i did not see empty cases with spent primer listed.....

someone care to tell me page and line,

thanks
mike

Look at post #18 for page nos. Every line with "ammunition", "cartridges" or "cases" said either "prohibited" or referred to another item listed as "prohibited".

It doesn't get much clearer than that. I agree that many prohibited items have been sent thruogh USPS without problems, but what is the penalty? I haven't researched that. If there is a legal alternative, (UPS) why not use it and avoid any potential problems.

A company I used to work for tried to ship about 200lbs. of a flamable solid from Pittsburgh to Louisville on Fedex. When it got to their hub in Memphis, somebody cought the error and wouldn't put on another plane for the trip to L'ville. I was the guy that had to make the six hour drive to Memphis at the end of my shift and the six hour drive back. (that's what happens in a department with five chiefs and one Indian) I got back just in time for my next shift and they expected me to put in another eight hours. That's one of the reasons I don't work for that company any more.

My point is, save yourself some headaches and do it right. You never know what's going to happen to your package between here and there, and if you're wrong to start with, you have no way of winning when there's a problem.

Jerry

mike in co
08-18-2007, 11:32 PM
what is listed is cases,cartridge/s, empty with primer........
but no listed for a spent primer...aka used /inert primer.
my point is that things on the listed are restricted,
things NOT on the list are NOT restricted.

mike in co
08-20-2007, 01:50 PM
you are reading the regs"wrong"
the list is stuff that is banned or controlled,
IF NOT ON THE LIST, ITS NOT BANNED OR CONTROLLED.

i have looked at the list, there is no listing for
brass with what use to be a primer,
( once it is fired, it aint a primer any more)
i see nothing in these rules preventing anyone from shipping once fired brass.

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

KYCaster
08-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Mike, I took another look and it seems you're right. Cases, cartridge, with primer are mentioned, as are Cases, combustible, without primer....not the same as Cases, cartridge, without primer which is not mentioned.

I stand corrected.
Jerry

Adam10mm
08-21-2007, 12:20 AM
UPDATE

Short version:
I won. Brass is back en route via Air Mail.

Long version:
I got a hold the the Postal Inspector assigned to the Oak Creek PO at 10th St. Explained the situation. Said he would handle it promptly. USPS HazMat guy called me this evening finally. Was very apologetic. Said sorry about two dozen times in a four minute conversation. Seriously, the guy was sorry.

The box opened up on the sorting machine, brass went everywhere. Employees tried to pick as many up and unjam the machine. Noticed a substance, call HM just to be sure. Ok, safety first, I applaud that. They took it out of mainstream to further investigate. Following protocol. I have no problem with that. The HM dude thought the burnt powder was still HM and prohibited to ship, so he sent me a letter.

Turns out the PI called Hodgdon Powder company which in turn informed him of the properties and danger level of burnt gunpowder. He told the HM guy to box the brass up and get it to me ASA f-in P and be quick about it.

HM dude calls me and says sorry a bunch of times and says the package will be air mailed from Oak Creek. PI calls me couple minutes after HM dude to make sure he called. PI give me his home number to call in case something else happens.

All is well.

PI also said, after I asked him, as long as the primers that are in the cases are spent it is ok to ship.

mike in co
08-21-2007, 01:45 AM
yes a win win situtation....we know its legal, and you are getting your brass.

thanks
all

mike

charger 1
08-21-2007, 04:13 AM
DanM
Sign of the times?
BIC/BS

Yet I get brass accross the border from buffalo arms into canada. And as we speak I await a 50 cal barrel from Douglas. Man they zig and zag dont they

Lloyd Smale
08-21-2007, 06:56 AM
Ive got to agree with jestergrin on this. If i sold you brass it would be my reponsiblity until it was recieved by you and if it didnt make it there whether it was my fault or not id be responsible for taking care of the problem or refunding your money.

Bullshop Junior
08-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord! He still performs miracles!
And the meek shall inherit the earth.
BIC/BS

versifier
08-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Obviously the meek have a few regs to memorize. I'm glad the hostage situation worked out. From now on I'll bag the brass inside the shipping box and seriously consider UPS for the next lot. What a f.ing nightmare.

mike in co
08-21-2007, 06:48 PM
i ship a fair amount of brass.
i use the square'r of the two flat rate boxes. frb1
i do not over load.
i double bag the contents.
i seal all seams with tape.
i ship flate rate with del confirmation.
( supposedly the post office is starting to enforce thier own rule that del confirmation means you hand the package to a person....not leave it laying about.)

AZ Pete
08-21-2007, 07:12 PM
i ship a fair amount of brass.
i use the square'r of the two flat rate boxes. frb1
i do not over load.
i double bag the contents.
i seal all seams with tape.
i ship flate rate with del confirmation.
( supposedly the post office is starting to enforce thier own rule that del confirmation means you hand the package to a person....not leave it laying about.)

Mike, I sure hope USPS starts that. I have had about 95% success with them. But, when they have failed, like not clocking in packages that have tracking numbers, or treating Priority Mail as Parcel Post, they generally say "yawn, that is not a guarenteed service". The last problem I had was a rifle shipped to Montana, Priority Mail. It arrived on time, but the carrier never clocked it in as received in MT or delivered to the address, until a week later when I had confirmed delivery to the recipient by phone and complained to the Post Master.
I generally prefer USPS, but their service is only as good as each employee makes it.

jdhenry
08-23-2007, 04:58 PM
I bought brass from "Mike in co" a couple of weeks ago, and he does a great job of sealing it all up:) I couldn't just tear it open. Had to get the chain saw out :) lol.

rbwillnj
08-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Actually, if I have read the regs correctly, sized and deprimmed cartridges should not be prohibited. they are not combustable (page 131)

shotstring
08-24-2007, 03:07 AM
This is all kind of strange to me. Hazmat normally only applies to combustables - namely powder and primers in our case. I just recieved a flat rate package through the post office with 6,000 fired 9mm cases....well 5,000 anyway. The box had broken open and left a trail of 9mm brass from California to probably half way to Florida. My mail carrier left me her mail tub along with my package as it's bottom was covered with a layer of 9mm brass. She said she would pick up the tub the next day. Sounds different than your experience, sadly.

Adam10mm
08-24-2007, 11:06 PM
There was burnt powder that leaked out of the box. They thought it was unburnt gunpowder. Being a HM material, they took appropriate cautions.

9.3X62AL
08-25-2007, 01:20 AM
Funny this thread happens when it does........

A few months back, a poster here said that he was shipping some boolit samples my way. Nothing arrived, and I wondered what happened.

Yesterday afternoon's mail included a notification of Certified Letter for pick up. Odd, methinks. Maybe I missed a mailed subpoena, and the D.A.'s Office is getting froggy. Who knows. Marie mentioned that just before we moved, we received a crudely assembled letter with text about "ammunition", and to call somebody. She threw it out, probably thinking it was from Midway or Graf's, and that I had over-spent on components already that month. She said the text was in black, so that ruled out Buckshot--he either calls by phone or writes in purple crayon.

I get me hence to the USPO this morning, and it's from the Postal Inspector in Pittsburgh, PA. So, THAT is where the subpoenas wound up.

Not exactly. It seems he has a "letter" addressed to "Deputy Al", lacking return address. He believes it contains "bullets", and is requesting permission from me to open the "letter" and have the contents destroyed. Its text says I "am not in any trouble", and that he has made many attempts to contact me--and that this was his second letter. The Certified Mail was in my full name, so he did at least a little legwork. The letter is undersigned "Brian Plants--USPI--Dangerous Mail Investigations--Pittsburgh, PA". I was able to leave a voice maill message this morning, which got no call-back by 5 P.M. EDT. It's probably Federal Friday.

Two things emerge from what I know so far--1) Marie needs to morph out of "English teacher mode" at home, and not flunk letters on the basis of composition quality. 2) When we send samples to one another, a return address is a good idea. Lack of same attracts attention, and is a "danger sign" to common carrier and USPS folks. It doesn't sound like the package came apart.

I'll share what I learn after speaking with the USPI.

9.3X62AL
08-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Just got off the phone with USPI Plants, and all is well.

There is NO PROHIBITION on sending castings through the mail. What occurred was a processing machine choked on the letter, and when a handler cleared the machine--she noticed what felt to her like ammunition in the envelope--so she set it aside and called USPI. The absence of return address caused a little concern, also.

His recommendations were to use strong packaging and guard against contents shifting as best possible, and include a return address. The addressee being "Deputy Al" in combination with no return address and ammunition contents was initially viewed as a possible threat letter, defused somewhat by the long distance from PA to CA--but it did cross their minds. Thankfully, a Postal Inspector with common sense handled the matter--so all is well.

WE need to be mindful of things like Unabomber, the mailed powder/poison bit at the Congressional mail site, and similar mail-related threats when we send anything through our Postal Service. How these guys and gals move all the material they process every day is truly a miracle to me. Their overall reliability is so routine that we take it for granted--but a lot of work is involved, so let's not contribute to their difficulty by taking short-cuts on parcel integrity.

jonk
08-28-2007, 09:31 AM
The regs list cases, cartridges, empty with primer. Ok so primed brass is a no no. I would contest that once fired brass is no longer under this definition as the primer is gone- burnt up. What is left is just a brass shell that used to contain priming compound, much as the case once contained gunpowder. Or a cigarette already smoked is no longer a cigarette, just a filter. Remove the priming compound from a primer, what's left?

Scrounger
08-28-2007, 09:41 AM
The regs list cases, cartridges, empty with primer. Ok so primed brass is a no no. I would contest that once fired brass is no longer under this definition as the primer is gone- burnt up. What is left is just a brass shell that used to contain priming compound, much as the case once contained gunpowder. Or a cigarette already smoked is no longer a cigarette, just a filter. Remove the priming compound from a primer, what's left?

See post #28 this thread. This is a dead horse.

bear
08-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Hey,
First, I just got a couple of thousand 9mm rnds of brass today via Post Office and the box was almost demolished, Thank goodness the shipper put the brass in zip lock bags of 250 each.
I cannot believe how crazy things are getting with reloading components. My local supplier which has been one of the biggest sellers in U.S.( Widners) is low or out of almost everything. No lead shot, almost no reloading dies, very limited supplies of powder and almost no selections of major bullets, and forget bulk quanities.
Ebay just banned gun "Parts" and related items. Brass and Hulls went off overnight and the other stuff is dwindling down.
I can't even locate a set of 9mm dies at a decent price. Is this a form of "Back Door Gun Control" going on ?
Our local paper last week reported that it was due to the war, causing a shortage, then states that all military ammo was obtained from a private company outside Oklohoma City. I don't remember a shortage during the Vietnam War or Desert Storm. They used to have 10 minuet "free fire" periods to get rid of surplus in Viet Nam they had so much it was considered outdated.
Well thats just my two cents worth.
Bear

Dale53
08-29-2007, 01:07 AM
bear;
War caused shortages have a long history in this country. I can remember ammo shortages of all types in WW II (I was but a small lad).

During the Korean War ALL component supplies were halted. the major manufacturers completely stopped selling primers to the civilian market. In fact, CCI was created to supply the demand for primers at that time.

It is really pretty much too late to lay in a supply of primers. I was talking to a large Cincinnati Dealer and he stated that ALL of his suppliers are out of primers. No one he normally deals with has ANY. He further stated that prices were going through the roof. He has been warned that component prices will rise 20% in September and then another 20% rise in the months after. Doesn't look real good. I hope that the shortages are short lived.

Dale53

15meter
02-27-2023, 09:22 AM
bear;
War caused shortages have a long history in this country. I can remember ammo shortages of all types in WW II (I was but a small lad).

During the Korean War ALL component supplies were halted. the major manufacturers completely stopped selling primers to the civilian market. In fact, CCI was created to supply the demand for primers at that time.

It is really pretty much too late to lay in a supply of primers. I was talking to a large Cincinnati Dealer and he stated that ALL of his suppliers are out of primers. No one he normally deals with has ANY. He further stated that prices were going through the roof. He has been warned that component prices will rise 20% in September and then another 20% rise in the months after. Doesn't look real good. I hope that the shortages are short lived.

Dale53

And history repeats itself.

farmbif
02-27-2023, 04:11 PM
try getting brass out of customs coming from another country. if sent from an individual it will cost you more in lawyers fees than it could possibly be worth but if its a corporation the can send it into the country by the container full no questions asked. something is seriously wrong with the systems that are in place by theses govt organizations. big companies can do whatever they want but individuals rights are stomped on every chance they get.

Bmi48219
02-28-2023, 01:11 PM

Never heard that before and the two PO managers at the post offices I’ve shipped from must not of either. I’ve shipped a lot of brass, both dirty and deprimed & cleaned. Alway double boxed and 100% wrapped with reinforced tape. I believe one time someone said there had been slight leakage when they received.
I gave up on LFRBs years ago after I had shipped two (one with 60+ lbs of 45 acp and one with a like amount of 5.56) to a member out west. Bagged, Double boxed and fully wrapped. He found a notice in his mail that they were being held at the receiving PO and he could pick them up but had to pay an additional $90 each is third class postage because the boxes were no longer ‘as-new’ square. He went to the PO and sent me pictures, the once square boxes looked like pillows. He rightly refused the shipment. I went to my PO and the manager contacted the receiving PO manager and made them return both to the Florida PO where I picked them up, no charge. Individual PO managers have a lot of discretion on what they’ll ship / accept.
For double boxing both Amazon and Walmart ship in boxes that will fit snug inside a USPS MFRB.

rbuck351
03-01-2023, 02:31 AM
I have shipped several med flat rate boxes of brass through usps without issue. I build a box from 1/2" osb that just fits inside the flat rate box. All joints except the top are glued and screwed and the top is screwed on after filled. I then tape a paper on top of the osb box with my return address and a note saying "If you are reading this note you have destroyed a flat rate box. Please forward to ............" So far no issues. I have got a couple of comments about having to use a screwdriver to open the box but no complaints.

For small flat rate boxes I seal brass or boolits in zip lock bags and then wrap tightly with the tape with fiber in it. If there is any free space , I fill that tightly with crumpled paper. Then the box has several wraps of the same tape. So far no problems. There must be some postal workers that use packages to play football by the looks of some I have received.

GunsandCoffee
03-01-2023, 10:58 AM
Old thread, but still good information.

mdi
03-01-2023, 01:58 PM
Hmmm. I hope the OP had gotten his brass. Kinda a long wait for "imprisoned" parcel, a 16 year sentence?

Frosty Boolit
03-01-2023, 05:04 PM
I've never shipped shell casings, only machine parts and crafting supplies.

Shanghai Jack
03-01-2023, 07:20 PM

jim

Exactly - I had a run in with the local post maven who wouldn't follow her own written rules on a firearm shipment. Call the postmaster and he threatened to have me removed from the post office for asking him to read his own regulations. I told him it would look good for him dragging a disabled veteran from the post office. Finally ended up writing both congressmen - postmaster seems to have been transferred.