PDA

View Full Version : what containers to go with?

elginrunner
03-14-2013, 11:28 PM
So I was just thinking, with the different lubes that may be required for high pressure, low pressure, and experimental lubes. What the heck am I going to stored this melted mess in?? The wife and I aren't coffee drinkers, and I know her tupperware is going to be off limits... I thought about pouring into silicone muffin pan then just putting away in zip loc bags... but I would like to hear from you guys...

runfiverun
03-14-2013, 11:49 PM
i have zip-lock baggies,pete cups with lids,styrofoam cups with lids,coffee mugs with a baggie and rubber band lids,bowls,more pete cups,smaller pete cups,some just wrapped in waxed paper.
and some just sitting on a cookie sheet right now.

repawn
03-14-2013, 11:50 PM
I currently use old mason jars - cheap and almost everyone has them.
To my family members, sorry about not returning the jars - the jams and pickles were delicious though. :)

357maximum
03-14-2013, 11:52 PM
I use mini loafs and zipper bags....just make sure you label the bag and put a paper label inside the bag that coincides with your notes in your lube/shooting folders. The lube I use the most of (MML) is stored as mini-loafs in 50 cal ammo cans along with my cute little pan to melt it in...I just leave the lube left over in the pan to cool and put it back in the can.....all you have to do is keep it dust free......whatever works for you is the best system available.

elginrunner
03-15-2013, 12:09 AM
I currently use old mason jars - cheap and almost everyone has them.
To my family members, sorry about not returning the jars - the jams and pickles were delicious though. :)

NO WAY, my wife is an avid canner, that would be worse than the tupperware...

repawn
03-15-2013, 01:00 AM
NO WAY, my wife is an avid canner, that would be worse than the tupperware...

Ha - I understand. I use all sorts of jars in the shop - basically anything with a lid is washed when empty and reused. Those mason jars are hard to beat though ;)

Lead Fred
03-15-2013, 04:05 AM
Lube stays in its pans, until used up, then refilled.
for traveling, my wife gave me these round containers with a screw on lid. Made by Glad

Wal'
03-15-2013, 05:31 AM
Try dumpster diving the neighbours bins after dark on collection night. :twisted: :lol:

elginrunner
03-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Try dumpster diving the neighbours bins after dark on collection night. :twisted: :lol:

Sounds like your not familiar with rural Arkansas are ya :wink:

crawfobj
03-15-2013, 11:38 AM
I keep mine in the packaging it comes in from Lars. I just started filling my new (to me) Star with molten lube. I took a 1/2 lb steel coffee can and melted lube sticks in it in a small bean pot of boiling water. (The pot is also used for casting stuff and is dedicated to the garage.)

The great thing about this is that I just put the lid back on the can until the next time I need a refill.

pull the trigger
03-15-2013, 08:21 PM
I use peanut butter, mayo, any plastic jar because they do not break when I drop them. I tumble lube in a peanut butter jar, and keep loaded ammo in them too.

wv109323
03-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Use the "West Virginia Tupperware"- Butter bowls , Sour Cream containers, Whipped Cream.

btroj
03-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Small test batches go in a ziplock bag. Larger amounts go into a plastic box with a snug fitting lid.

Wal'
03-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Sounds like your not familiar with rural Arkansas are ya :wink:

Nah.......not familiar with Arkansas......but think I have a fair idea what the result would be. :lol:

Jeff Houck
03-16-2013, 11:39 AM
you can use most anything as long as it has a bottom!
Jeff

badge176
03-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Just never pour molten lube into those gladware containers unless you want a lubed garage floor...and YES, that IS how I figured it out! If you can't hold a bare finger in it for a 15 count, then It's TOO HOT!

Jailer
03-16-2013, 05:13 PM
I thought about pouring into silicone muffin pan then just putting away in zip loc bags... but I would like to hear from you guys...

That's exactly what I do. Get the freezer bags and you can write on the label area with a ball point pen what they are.

fredj338
03-17-2013, 09:14 PM
When I do make lube, I pour it into 1" sticks & just plastic bag em.

John Allen
03-17-2013, 09:21 PM
I use mason jars they are $10.00 or so for 9 at Walmart.

Bullet Caster
03-17-2013, 10:12 PM
I've got several tins w/lids from the wifey when she used to work at CVS. The tins are about 5" in dia. and about an inch and a half tall. They were used to store film test strips for the photo machine at CVS. Sure do make nice ranch dip tins. When the level drops below the lube grooves I add more to it. Works great. BC

9-toes
03-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Been using plastic shoe boxes I found at Walmart. They stack real nice and you can see what's in them.