PDA

View Full Version : Lube Warmer?

Jimmydaux
08-17-2007, 08:21 PM
hey for all you reloading professionals out there, realistically how useful is a lube warmer? There was one in the reloading lot I purchased but I dont know if i want to use it if I dont have to.

hivoltfl
08-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Depends on the lube you use, hard lubes require heat to soften them up enough to flow through the sizer, soft lubes generally dont need heat unless its cold where your using it, I have found for my shooting that the softest lube I can get by with works best for handguns and target loads, for my higher velocity rifle rounds I use a harder lube, I live in a warm (hot) climate and really like Lars45 2500 for my handguns and his Carnuba Red for my rifles, the 2500 does not need heat the Carnuba Red needs just a little if its under 90 where I use it.

Rick

Jimmydaux
08-17-2007, 10:22 PM
ok so a lube warmer is for a bullet lubricator and not for case lube? See there I go again being very under edumicated.

hivoltfl
08-18-2007, 11:02 AM
yep its for bullet lube, I know of no case lube that needs to be warmed, that dont mean theres not one out there, I just dont know about it.

Rick

Ohio Rusty
08-18-2007, 01:35 PM
I use one of those little round plug-in cup warmers you have on your desk for keeping your coffee warm.
I have a small stainless steel cup on that cup warmer and after a short while, it warms enough to melt my 50/50 Johnsons Paste Wax/Beeswax lube.
Ohio Rusty

Lee W
08-18-2007, 03:59 PM
I use Rooster Zambini in a Star. It will not start moving until 107F. I run at 112F using a PID control.

rbstern
08-21-2007, 09:09 PM
I use a homemade warmer with my RCBS press, using LARS Red. It distributed more evenly with the warmer.

My homemade unit is a 18 volt wall wart power supply feeding a half dozen 1 watt resistors in parallel. The resistors are under the press, in a shallow cutout in the wood mounting plate under the press.

JeffinNZ
08-22-2007, 12:21 AM
I just bought a new Lyman 4500 with a heater as though the lube I use is "soft" in my sub antarctic garage in the winter even it does not flow so well. Not any more though with the new heater. Makes a big difference.

bmblong
08-22-2007, 05:19 AM
I got the idea off the forum, but I use a heat lamp over my lubrisizer. Works like a champ.

Jimmydaux
08-22-2007, 10:08 AM
hey guys, ive got a lube warmet that I wont be using for a while. Its gonna take a bit to get to where Im casting for my rifle and pistol. If anyone wants it you can have it for the cost of shipping.