PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Super Blackhawk 5.5" barrel

Gunor
03-14-2013, 10:52 PM
There 44 with the 5.5 barrel.

Am I really give that much up compared to the longer barreled.

I don't plan any 'hell' burner types of loads

The gun is in the case for $365

Thanks

Silver Jack Hammer
03-15-2013, 12:40 AM
Buy it. You'll like the 5.5 inch barrel. Later on when you find a 7 1/2" real cheap you can buy that one too. It's said even Wyatt Earp liked the shorter barrel. I actually shoot the shorter barrel better fast and up close, Elmer Keith said older fellas with not so young eyes shoot better guns with shorter sighting radius. And no, the difference in velocity isn't that great.

Shuz
03-15-2013, 10:40 AM
To answer your original question, what you "give up" with a 5.5" bbl is a shorter sighting radius(front to rear sight) and about 100 fps in velocity compared to a 7.5" revolver. I actually prefer my 5.5" Ruger to either my 7.5" or my 4-5/8" Rugers. I especially like the looks of the fluted cylinder.

NVScouter
03-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Buy it! You cant own just one anyways.

The longer barrels are great for shooting but the 5.5 flavor are a bit more friendly to cary. For under $400 you cant go wrong.

I think your losing closer to 150fps but that curve will depend on powder and boolit choice really. Blackhawk CAN be loaded really strong but most folks do go to max anyways so its a wash if you really want that extras FPS.

MT Gianni
03-15-2013, 07:27 PM
What you gain in pack-a-bility far out WEIGHS the loss of velocity.

Lead Fred
03-15-2013, 07:33 PM
What you gain in pack-a-bility far out WEIGHS the loss of velocity.

I'm thinkin Harry would disagree

Ragnarok
03-15-2013, 08:40 PM
I would buy it. I have a 7.5 inch SBH and it's a handfull for sure...I bet you'd never miss a couple inches of barrel!!

Hogdaddy
03-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Sounds like a good deal,, I'd buy it ; )
H/D

Gunor
03-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Actually I touched it today.

Nice shape - been in a holster and a little discoloration in other places. Can't tell too well - was not shot very much at all. Little or no discoloration on the face the cylinder.

So I am thinking about how to get past the wife.....trading a rifle for it or....

Gun shop owner would take a layaway.....

Anybody want a MAS 45 or 49.... Oh sorry wrong sub forum.....

FLINTNFIRE
03-16-2013, 12:51 AM
I have picked up several 4 5/8 blackhawks last year or so and $375 was average price , I would buy it as was previously said you can not just own one , have had longer barrel and liked them to , would like a 5.5 ,buy it shoot it have fun.

khmer6
03-16-2013, 01:15 AM
Here in az, that would be a decent deal. Cheapest I find a ruger 44 used is 475. :mad:

Biggfoot44
03-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Get it. The 5.5 will have different balance , and somewhat more vel than 4 5/8 , still be comfortable to carry. And in my case , the squareback triggergaurd hammers the knuckle on my finger painfully.

Ragnarok
03-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Get it. The 5.5 will have different balance , and somewhat more vel than 4 5/8 , still be comfortable to carry. And in my case , the squareback triggergaurd hammers the knuckle on my finger painfully.

That's your 'bumper finger'...why they made the square-back guard..so your middle finger takes all the recoil. Bill Ruger was a man ahead of his time...and sore middle fingers make for a more polite society..;-)

FLINTNFIRE
03-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Never thought of the middle finger /polite society connection before , too funny , they have always beat my finger with full power loads ,but a smith and wesson model 29 with 8 3/8 barrel I have does the same with the wood finger groove grips , still love to shoot them both.

44man
03-18-2013, 09:14 AM
I stay with 7-1/2" and my SBH is an old 10", or is it 10-!/2", don't remember. But I shot IHMSA and now I hunt so it is a primary gun, not a carry.
5.5" would be nice and the price is right. I just don't like smaller for my uses. I have always felt around 6" is as low as I would go.
The .44 does not need to be shot past the velocity it is accurate because it kills animals, plain and simple. As long as it reaches accuracy and spin, it is as good as it gets. No need for 1500 fps.
Put Pachmeyer grips on it to save your knuckle.

TheGrimReaper
03-18-2013, 11:13 AM
365.00.....yea, i'd get it.

992B
03-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Sounds like a good buy to me!! About 10 years ago I found a decent old model Super Blackhawk with a 7-1/2" barrel. Sent it to SSK for cutting barrel to 5", remount front sight and cut the forcing cone to 11 degrees. Can't think of a place I would fear walking with that chunk of iron and some 240 grain cast with 20 grains of 2400 pushing the bullet along. Best 44 mag I've ever owned!! Gary

Gunor
03-18-2013, 10:22 PM
I put a 1/3 down today - so it will be mine. Played with it little more. The cylinder pin was a little hard to get moving/out - wasn't too grungy - cylinder spun freely.

So I am going to put a few BP revolvers up and see if I can generate enough $.

Question: What Lee mold would you recommend? PB and maybe slow is fine for now.

Probably get a sizing die for my 450.

I have shot and loaded for 44 before with a Rossi and Desert Eagle, but only with j-bullets. As I am getting a little better with casting.......so looking for a cheap bullet mold - and Lee DC should work for now.

Thanks

Geoff in Oregon

44man
03-19-2013, 09:05 AM
The .44 is not too picky and will shoot best with 240 gr and up. You can shoot lighter but I never got the best accuracy until 240.
Kind of hard to find a PB but Lee shows a few. You can shoot a PB as fast as the gun is capable of, just make them a little harder. Just water drop WW boolits for faster.
When you get the gun, clean the cylinder pin and hole. Then put a little STP on it and the ratchet in the back. Don't shoot dry. A little will get on the front bushing and STP will cushion cylinder recoil.
Once all is working you might never have to clean the bore unless you have rust worries but the pin should be kept clean and lubed.
Enjoy your new gun, it will do anything you want. If you hunt deer with it, just use a boolit with a decent meplat.

blackpowder man
03-21-2013, 11:26 AM
If you go with a Lee mold you would be have better results with one of the 430 molds. The 430-240 tumble lube swc shot good out of a 7 1/2", 4 5/8", and a 5 1/2". All of the super blackhawks I have owned like .432 diameter bullets. This limits factory mold selection a bit. That Lee mold I mentioned will drop a big enough bullet from wheel weights or you'll need to go with an oversize mold from NOE or similar. That is a great gun you're getting.

Gunor
03-22-2013, 01:29 AM
Was looking at the Lee TL 240 - 6 gang mold. I wish I could mike the throats. But nice to know some has used this bullet to good effect (blackpowder man)

There does not seems to be much in stock for the 2 cav mold for Lee - so the 6 bangers isn't too bad

Gunor
04-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Got my pistol from the LGS.
Got my 6 cavity TL430 mold.
Really nice to cast 6 bullets at a time. TL, sized, and TL again.
Loaded 30 rounds with 6 grs of Bullseye.
I touch off later today or tomorrow. Seems to rain a lot around here.....

Cleaned the pistol. Still have a sticking base pin - just seating it the last 1/4" or so - kind of sticks. And yes I cleaned out the holes. Cannot really tell, but I don't think that the pistol has a 100 rds, if that - I'll see after my first 100 rds. Pistol has been carried, really not to much holster wear.

And I really like the feel and balanced. Compared to my Ruger BH .357.

Sized @ .430 - just kissed the bottom band.....

Geoff

Rodfac
04-07-2013, 08:26 AM
That 5.5" barrel is infinitely more comfortable to use and to carry than the longer 6.5" and 7.5" barrels...be it in a deer stand (or climbing into one), sitting a tractor, 4x4, car, truck, anything that moves that you don't have to saddle first, is far more comfortable with a shorter barreled hand gun. It's a matter of the damned thing pushing up off your waist and sticking you in the ribs. If you pack your short gun in a shoulder rig, it too has a limit, and I'd bet that long 7.5" barrel is a problem even there. A cross the chest rig, some call it a tanker rig, would pack the longer barrels more effectively too.

As to velocity loss...one old gouge published by Lyman, implied that you lose 25 fps for each inch of barrel lopped off. Not really that much when you come right down to it... Another oft quoted bromide is that that add'l 2" of barrel made an enormous difference in sighting....that's not what I've found comparing my 4-5/8" barreled guns vs my 6.5" Ruger BH's and one 7.5" SAA Colt. That 4-5/8" balances just about perfectly in my hand (it's one of the newer all steel framed Flat Tops in .44 Special). It's a far better gun in that regard than any of the 6.5", aluminum framed BH's.

HTH's Rod

Gibbs44
04-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Enjoy, I imagine you'll be happy with it. Give us an update when you've had the chance to sling some lead.

44man
04-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Short barrels make sighting harder because a click will move POI more. I used the 10-1/2" Ruger for IHMSA because a click was 1", 2", 3" and 4", 50 to 200 meters.
Next when hunting, I can shoot a shot at deer with the longer barrel without getting my ears blasted. I have started to wear muffs but it is hard to hear deer coming.
I use a shoulder holster and also a sling on the butt so when walking the gun hangs at my hand. Keeps the gun from falling from a tree stand too if I snooze.
I am not concerned with a velocity loss from a shorter barrel, only what I said above and no matter what, it is far easier then lugging a rifle. Even the huge 45-70 shown on my avitar is easy.

Tatume
04-07-2013, 09:28 AM
What people say about losing 100 fps or so with a two-inch shorter barrel is usually about right, but not always. Each gun is an individual, and sometimes they surprise you. I have seen shorter barrels shoot faster than longer ones, with ammo out of the same box. You never know until you check.

P.s., I think you'll be glad you bought the revolver.

Gunor
04-07-2013, 08:00 PM

6 grains Bullseye and TL430-240 @ 15 yards.

I did push the one to the bottom.

And yes the target is wet, shooter too.

Got to work on the base pin - back out. The cross pin spring can be adjusted more.

And adjust the sights

So now I need to cast some more. And actually practice.......

That was fun.

Geoff in Oregon

taco650
04-07-2013, 08:18 PM

6 grains Bullseye and TL430-240 @ 15 yards.

I did push the one to the bottom.

And yes the target is wet, shooter too.

Got to work on the base pin - back out. The cross pin spring can be adjusted more.

And adjust the sights

So now I need to cast some more. And actually practice.......

That was fun.

Geoff in Oregon

That looks pretty good to me. Try it at 25 yards next time. Might go a up a bit on powder, like half a grain or more just to see how it effects accuracy.

257X50
04-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Cutting a couple of inches off of a 7 1/2" barrel often helps newer shooters.

Gunor
04-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Cutting a couple of inches off of a 7 1/2" barrel often helps newer shooters.

I would think a shorter sight radius would magnify any aiming errors. I did notice the sight moved more than I thought they might.

I going to have to bench it, before testing any accuracy testing. My aiming is below par, for any large number of shots.

Geoff in Oregon

257X50
04-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Has more to do with balance.

Had to agree with the shop owner where I worked.

Worked for me. Lol

Shuz
04-08-2013, 10:05 AM
You have a nice revolver there! Enjoy your new toy!

44man
04-08-2013, 10:27 AM
The light line at the sides of the sights are more critical with a short barrel. A thousandths on an inch can't be seen as well but that is not the problem. Even if you see it, a thousandths will move POI more.
As you shorten the barrel the less the movement must be and the smallest change will put those shots out.
Guns feel good of course but can you shoot as well? Balance means nothing because the ability to hold and see a thousandths is gone.
It really is true that the smallest movement with a short barrel is much worse then a long barrel. Even with a scope or red dot, a click will move POI a lot more.
Now Gunor, you barrel is NOT that short and will be fine. Just a little more per click.
I do like longer but around 6" is just fine.
I just have personal limits for hunting. Deer is my game.

257X50
04-08-2013, 05:07 PM
What I meant with balance is that it's hard to learn to shoot with a 10" barrel.

5 1/2 to 6" is a nicer balance than a 7 1/2.

Moat hunters I know use 7 1/2", but they aren't new to six-guns either.

Gibbs44
04-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Nice looking revolver. I definitely would have picked that one up for that price. Any new gun/load takes some getting used to. Just have fun with it.

44man
04-09-2013, 10:42 AM
What I meant with balance is that it's hard to learn to shoot with a 10" barrel.

5 1/2 to 6" is a nicer balance than a 7 1/2.

Moat hunters I know use 7 1/2", but they aren't new to six-guns either.
You are 100% right there. The barrel will droop out on you off hand. It is funny how a few ounces out there will defeat a guy.
I had to defeat the gun, not easy but it works. Even the huge 10" 45-70 BFR has been easy off hand. It might have helped with the long .44 more then anything.
It is like shooting heavy loads all the time to prepare for hunting or long range. Shooting a .22 will not prepare you for a real thumper.
You can be an expert with the .22 or .38 but when I hand you my .500 I assure you, you are done. Now get used to the .500 and the .44 is sooooo easy.
You can do it, my confidence is in you. You CAN shoot a long barrel.
I told this story before. My friends son was scared to death of my .500, he is a BIG boy. He shoots good, even the .454. I showed him how easy it shoots with one hand so he finally took it. He went nuts busting pop cans at 50 yards every shot. He wants one now big time.
Don't go backwards, move ahead because you will do good. If you buy a .475 or .500, never look for .38 recoil. If you buy a 7-1/2" gun, don't cut it, you will master it.

Gunor
04-09-2013, 11:28 AM
My thoughts:
1. I wanted a 44 mag, just to have a large bore, that can be loaded with hell burners. Just because. Everyone should have a magnum....
2. Best fun, I have had with a revolver, is shooting my K-14 with a Borman Rib. It shots WC cutters into nice little groups. The few times I have been to a formal range with the gun, it was fun to watch other's reactions. I have the same fun shooting my IPSC Gold cup - little loads and small groups.
3. I am thinking the same idea, with the new Ruger - lighter loads and smaller groups. I got the Dillon conversion, and a 6 gang mold - just have to get some brass - and load a large batch up.

Again, it is fun to shot groups

Geoff in Oregon

taco650
04-09-2013, 02:28 PM
I just traded for a 7.5" Super Blackhawk. Been shooting a 6" Dan Wesson 44 for almost 25 years. The only thing I don't like about the Super Blackhawk is the square back trigger guard. Otherwise, its a great gun and feels a few ounces lighter than the Dan Wesson. I've always liked the stock grip on the Dan Wesson and have shot all manner of loads from it and never felt the need to change. After checking into converting the Ruger to a Bisley grip frame, I've decided to buy an aftermarket grip instead cuz' the price of the conversion is too much $$$. The longer barrel isn't an issue except when packing the gun around. It came with a Uncle Mikes shoulder rig which will be comfortable and secure enough to go hunting.

257X50
04-09-2013, 08:51 PM
44MAN;

I see what you mean. If you don't try. You never will.

Doing it is the only way.

Some folks are only happy if they can do it NOW.

Thinking back. The folks we cut the barrels off are most likely still shooting short barrels. Missing a chance to shoot better with a 7 1/2".

I pack a 5 1/2" but love shooting the 7 1/2.

Your point is well made.

kidmma
04-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Great pick up!

44man
04-11-2013, 09:30 AM
I love all guns. I don't care what the barrel length is. A packing or back up can be anything as long as it protects you.
My length choice has always been for long range and hunting. My eyes are not what they were so open sights no longer work for deer. I shake more so a scope is also out plus they are too dark in the mornings and evenings. The Ultra Dot saves me.
I just grew to love the longer barrels from years of shooting IHMSA and shooting revolvers to 500 meters for fun.
When I go down to shoot with a revolver, my first targets are off hand water bottles at 100 yards, when the shakes start, I go to sandbags. I can no longer hold steady for as many shots.
Short barrels feel good to me but I will never be able to shoot as far and a light gun drives me nuts, I need weight to damp out shakes.
I have a 2X scope on my Mark II because the first was destroyed on my .475, the replacement will never go on a real gun! I shot it yesterday and it was crazy. I never seen cross hairs go nuts like that.

jasent
04-12-2013, 02:08 AM
Love my sbh 10.5". But at that price id buy it. The Hogue or pack Meyer grips really save the knuckle!