PDA

View Full Version : Core moulds

GRUMPA
03-14-2013, 01:49 PM
I remember some time back about someone taking a LEE 6 cavity mould and using pins that slide up and down so the user can use the same mould but have the ability to change the final weight. I have tried to search for that post but most importantly I trying to locate someone that offers them for sale, any leads?

And this is for the 38cal cores.

Lizard333
03-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Just thinking out loud here. Remember, I do BBQ and shoot. I am NOT a machinist. Or in your case a precision grinder.

What if you drilled the holes all the way through the mould and placed steel rods in the holes held in place by set screws in the side of mold. Adjusting the plugs up or down would decrease or increase the weight.

You could cast a few different weights at one time.

GRUMPA
03-14-2013, 03:35 PM
It's not that I can't it's a matter of the equipment I'm used to using to do it with. Well that and getting the right tools for the job thats cost and use 1 time like reamers ($30 including shipping) and the pins, what I would call locator pins and such. I just figured if someone had all the stuff and does it already by the time I figured in tool cost and such I just might break even if it was available.

TomE
03-14-2013, 04:44 PM
I think this is the link that you want. [URL="http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?172450-Core-Mold"]
I currently have one on order from u.p. north.

Tom

GRUMPA
03-14-2013, 08:10 PM
I looked at that link, although very close the threaded pins/rods with the special little end caps look a bit out of my league. The one I saw the rods were hardened pins that pretty much slid up and down adjust the core length and held in place with set screws.

runfiverun
03-14-2013, 10:06 PM
matt they don't have to be perfect just smaller than the core sizer [squirt die]
and slightly heavier than the core you want.
2grs 5 grs don't matter really.
you could use the same drill for the holes and the pins.
the set screws and tap would be the biggest cost [plus the trip to town]

midnight
03-15-2013, 12:05 PM
I bought a blank Lee 6cav block and screwed a žin Aluminum plate on the bottom of one of the halves to thread the adjustment pins into but lost interest when I got RCE's HydraSwage & lead extrusion dies. It's a lot easier to cast some large billets & extrude the wire.

Bob

GRUMPA
03-15-2013, 01:10 PM
matt they don't have to be perfect just smaller than the core sizer [squirt die]
and slightly heavier than the core you want.
2grs 5 grs don't matter really.
you could use the same drill for the holes and the pins.
the set screws and tap would be the biggest cost [plus the trip to town]

It's just the way I am, I don't do the " OH!! that'll be OK" type thing. If and when I can get to it I'll dive into it a bit closer, I'm known for over engineering a project to the max, and I do have taps and such so that's not a concern. When I get around to actually casting the cores I do them with 1.gr or they just don't get done, and yes I do have ways of adjusting them so the depth on all of the pins are within .001 as far as location goes.

I'm just fussy (anal) what can I say.

runfiverun
03-15-2013, 10:00 PM
I want perfect too,but for cores I want workable/
I figure nice that's the job of the squirt die.
I look at them like ww's they ain't so good going in but real nice when coming out.

Sliver Shooter
03-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Midnight, where can one get a blank Lee mold

midnight
03-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Titan Reloading had them about 6 mos ago. At that time you couldn't even get them from Lee. I was going to put a thin piece of paper between the mold halves and clamp them together. Then drill a small pilot hole down through the mold and through the quarter inch Aluminum plate I screwed to the bottom of one of the mold halves. The idea was that the bit would follow the paper and cut equally in each half of the mold. The remove the bottom plate and bore for the dia core you want. I used bolts with the head cut off for the adjustment pins and threaded the bottom plate to match whatever bolt I used. I used a drill press and a file to turn the bolt shanks to the slip fit dia. Got a new milling machine today so now I can do it right.

Bob