PDA

View Full Version : User name?

dudits
03-14-2013, 09:58 AM
hello all,
i am hopelessly addicted to this forum and do not plan on going anywhere.
so i figured i would start this thread to get to know yall a little bit

i would like to know how yall got the username/handle ya got?

i will start
i have a english mastiff. his name is dudley. i call him dudits alot like the character from the stephen king novel dreamcatcher.
when signing up i was thinking of what to call myself and my dudley tried to climb up on my lap.
seemed like as good a name as any

Reload3006
03-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Years ago I started hanging out in an online chat room on AOL the great outdoors. When I first signed up for aol I was going through a lot of different things and all were already in use by someone else. So Aol computer generated me a name. Which as far as I was concerned gave out too much online info on me. So after a few months hanging out there in the Great Outdoors chat room I decided that I wanted to promote reloading and my favorite cartridge that I hand load was the 30-06 so Reload3006 and I have used it since.

Swamp Man
03-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Well my user name comes from the fact that I'm from the swamps of Fl. When I was younger I stayed in the swamps so much people that knew me from seeing me near the swamps and lakes referred to me as the swamp man. Most of them didn't know my name but everyone knew who the swamp man was even our game officers referred to me as the swamp man. Later online a friend of mine that was a drummer started calling me Swampy now the band and many of the fans call me Swampy. I was going to use Swampy here but it was already being used. I'm fairly well known online by many as Swampy the Swamp Monster.

SlippShodd
03-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Funny, I've been thinking about starting a thread with this topic for about a week.
A college buddy and I have had a running joke for over 3 decades describing the gyppo-types we've encountered in our respective industries as the proud owner-operators of "Slipshod Plumbing and Electrical," "Slipshod Auto Repair and Home Canning Supplies," etc. Truth in advertising, y'know? When another friend of mine asked me to cast up some uncommon boolits for his bear loads years back (GCed .429s in pure linotype), as a gag I ginned up a label for the boolit box and SlippShodd Shooters' Supply, A Division of FlyByNite Industries was born. The extra consonants let folks know they are dealing with the elite of the dregs. This wholly ficticious company is supported with a logo and business cards that I keep hidden from my real customers, but has served a lot of purposes for a lot of laughs over the years. SlippShodd has been used on a couple other forums and as a user name for several sites. I usually find it's available for use when I sign up somewhere.

mike

bbs70
03-14-2013, 11:14 AM
BBS70,
No not BBs like in BB gun.
My wife came up with BBS70 because it is the first initial of our first names and the S is the first inital of our last name.
The 70 is the year we were married.
I guess she thought it was romantic?

Calamity Jake
03-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Try this. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?72354-Explain-your-avatar-and-name

dudits
03-14-2013, 11:39 AM
yeah i noticed it about 30 seconds after i posted this. i put my glasses on and there it was

dudits
03-14-2013, 11:46 AM
any mods please feel free to delete this :)

41 mag fan
03-14-2013, 04:54 PM
<------I think the name says it all

Bill*
03-14-2013, 05:04 PM
I just made mine up, signed...Roger* :kidding:

Threepersons
03-14-2013, 05:51 PM
I got my name from old Tom Threepersons, Meet him in 1963. I was 21
and Tom was 76.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-14-2013, 05:54 PM
See post 176
the link takes you right to that post.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?72354-Explain-your-avatar-and-name&p=1300879&highlight=JonB_in_Glencoe#post1300879

stormspotter
03-14-2013, 06:15 PM
As the username says, I'm a "Stormspotter". I'm a member of our local Emergency Management Agency and have been spotting for 18 years. Getting ready for number 19. Stay safe and remember to "keep an eye to the sky".

Reverend Al
03-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Well, the "Reverend Al" and "Temperance Tilly" have been involved in Cowboy Action Shooting, plus performed in a good friend's recreated Wild West Show so it kind of stuck! "Temperance Tilly" (aka Laurie) is in the centre of the photo in the white dress and the "Reverend Al" (aka Allen) is second from the far right ...

quilbilly
03-14-2013, 06:33 PM
When you live in Quilcene long enough, you become a Quilbilly.

LeadRecycler
03-14-2013, 06:35 PM
I think it's obvious...

twotoescharlie
03-14-2013, 06:36 PM
me and a lawnmower in 1967, self exsplainotory.

TTC

Love Life
03-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Just a general love of life as it is lived. Being a sour puss is not my style. Oh, and Ayn Rand may have had a little influence on me...

Often I have wondered if people thought I was referring to...you know...a love life.

Nope. Just a general love of still being around and enjoying what the world presents me.

repawn
03-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Pawn was my screen name back in the 80s on BBSs (played a lot of chess back then) - went in the Navy - came out 8 years later - Pawn was pretty well taken everywhere - so became repawn.

plmitch
03-14-2013, 09:06 PM
It was my stage name when I was dancing to pay my way through college.

472x1B/A
03-14-2013, 10:39 PM
It was issued to me by the U S Air Force in 1970.

Blanket
03-15-2013, 08:41 AM
I am part Indian and my buddies call me the blanket ***

Cactus Farmer
03-15-2013, 08:48 AM
I live in the desert part of Texas and seem to grow cactus better than anything. My wife hates them so around the house they go away. Dig 'em up and move 'em to a more secluded place. They are tasty by the way. The prickley pear fruit (called a tuna) make a wonderful jam/jelly. We have mesquite here too and it's my choice for BBQ fuel. The beans look like green beans and are eatable when VERY young. Then as the get bigger there is a sugary pulp between the seed and husk. Again very good jelly. Ever eat snake? Tastes like chicken/or lizard.

kartooo
03-15-2013, 08:51 AM
my Grandaughter was born with a cleft lip and palate.
she couldn't talk right at 1st and named me Kartooo.
a few operations later she is like new, 11 yrs later she still calls me Kartooo.
i like it, it's unique

shdwlkr
03-15-2013, 10:43 AM
shdwlkr refers to those that walked off the battle fields of Vietnam never to be heard from again.
In Native American which I am part it means one who is always in the shadows and that is me I have no desire to be seen as anything but what I am an individual, lover of the republic and conservative in my political views.

Goatwhiskers
03-15-2013, 12:31 PM
If you saw my ugly face and encountered my hard headed attitude toward most humans and liberals in particular you would understand. GW

Trey45
03-15-2013, 12:35 PM
My name is Trey, 45 is my favorite pistol caliber.

hiram1
03-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Me being a mason .tells it all.
Kings 7 21

popper
03-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Just what popped into my pea brain when I had to provide a user name.

texasnative46
03-15-2013, 05:57 PM
In my case, it's simple: I was born in TX in 1946.

yours, tn46

crappie-hunter
03-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Beside hunting, casting, reloading, and shooting,I am addicted to Crappie fishing as they are called in Pa. So the name is crappie-hunter

clintsfolly
03-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Get a 49 Wilys Jeepster and joined my first forum for the jeepster. Needed a user name and the wife said Clintsfolly and it stuck!! Clint

Harter66
03-15-2013, 11:33 PM
Mines a perversion of the European deer hunter and my sir name, a red stag being a Hart,and me arriving in 66'.

elginrunner
03-16-2013, 01:24 AM
I have a 52' and 53 elgin outboard motors... 8-)

Vulcan Bob
03-16-2013, 01:26 AM
My name has nothing to do with Star Trek. When I bought my first cruiser style motorcycle a Kawasaki Vulcan Classic my buddys wife started calling me Vulcan Bob and it sorta stuck. Wish I had bought my Harley first!

facetious
03-16-2013, 04:47 AM
Hello my name is Chuck and I am a boolit caster.
I never intended to be one, but you know how it goes, first you are just popping a few .22's. No big deal, but then before long you are shooting 20ga's, not a lot and you tell your self hey it's not like you are doing 3" 12ga's like the older guy's.
By then it was the late 70's and a lot of guy's were doing powder. Black Powder! I had to try it. I started building a ML kit in my parents basement. My dad told me not to be messing with that stuff, but I didn't listen. I played with it for a few year's not knowing it was a gateway powder.
I had been shooting a Ruger Single Six for wile and popping a lot of .22's. I was just looking a round when the dealer handed it to me, let me hold it in my hand, let me touch it. A Ruger Black Hawk .357. All hopped up on Skeeter Skelton stories and a wallet full of rent money I lost control, it went home with me. When I got home reality raised it's ugly head, I didn't have the money for ammo.
I had been shooting with a guy name Joe. He had the good stuff, .357's, .44's and a .30 carbine. All Black Hawk's. When I showed him my new toy he just stood there and laughed at me. What the ? He told me that I would never learn to shoot it, that I didn't make the kind of money it would take.
He took me over to his place and showed me his reloading stuff and it wasn't long till I had a press of my own . I hadn't been loading long and was getting a lot of leading. I asked him for some help, that's when I found out he was a boolit caster. I had heard of guy's like him but had never met one. He started showing me how to melt lead and pour it in to mould's. It wasn't long and I had a place where I could cast . I had become one of those guy's with my own Boolit lab.
And so it has come to this, lurking on the Internet looking for other's like me, looking for someone to talk to who knew Bullseye from 2400 and knew casting had nothing to do with fishing.
When my wife got a new laptop she gave me her old one to play with. She said I should learn how to do more then surf. So here I am, can't type, can't spell and she wore most of the letter's off the key's and I do not know what I am doing. She told me I should have a Internet name and suggested "Old Fat and Ugly". (he is) But then one day at work when trying to be helpful someone asked if I was trying to be facetious, I said I don't have to try, I am facetious!
So here I am being facetious.

Facetious.

Wife read my post and added her ( input)

farmallcrew
03-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Farmall, duh RED TRACTOR. crew, is for my 97 F-250 crew cab pickup with a 7.3 International Powerstroke motor.

Ive aways been a Red Tractor guy and a Ford guy, so im glad Ford and International Navstar came together for an IH truck!!!!

gmsharps
03-16-2013, 09:12 AM
My initials and always had a fondness for the sharps Rifles even own a couple of them now.

Sasquatch-1
03-16-2013, 09:26 AM
I got the nickname when I was working Narcotics in D. C. We were in one of the heavy heroin and crack selling areas and a guy we just locked up looked at me and said S**T, that guy looks like Sasquatch. The name stuck. Te number one is because someone who doesn't participate in the forum had Sasquatch.

LUBEDUDE
03-16-2013, 02:31 PM
i got the nickname when i was working narcotics in d. C. We were in one of the heavy heroin and crack selling areas and a guy we just locked up looked at me and said s**t, that guy looks like sasquatch. The name stuck. Te number one is because someone who doesn't participate in the forum had sasquatch.

roflmao!

HangFireW8
03-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Years ago I had an antigun boss who was internet savvy (rare back then) and I decided it was time to use hobby forums more anonymously. Around that time I had a hang fire with steel case surplus 8mm ammo. The nom de plum hangfire was already taken most places so I added the reminder to "wait".

LUBEDUDE
03-16-2013, 02:40 PM
At the time I registered, my mind went blank, this is the first name that popped in my mind.

alamogunr
03-16-2013, 02:40 PM
I was signing up for the first forum I wanted to be a part of. I think it was the old Sixgunner.com. Is usual, I was drawing a blank. All I could think of on the spur of the moment was a combination of the town of my residence and something involving guns. Hokey as it is, I'm stuck with it.

Hickory
03-16-2013, 02:56 PM
I've been called Hickory for over 50 years by friends & family.
Don't know how it started or why, but it's what I answer to.

gspgundog
03-16-2013, 02:57 PM
For my money the best all round gun dog is the German Shorthaired Pointer so the handle just kind of fit

TXGunNut
03-16-2013, 03:22 PM
I started using TXGunNut over on TFL a few years back and kept getting referred to this site by other members. Seemed rather unique over there, surprised it wasn't taken over here. Lots of "nuts" are CB members so I felt at home almost immediately. I'm not really crazy, of course.:veryconfu

sav300
03-17-2013, 07:23 AM
I lucked onto a Savage 99 in 300savage and the same vintage as me,so

oldarkie
03-17-2013, 10:28 AM
i was born just outside of keo arkansas in 1948 so im a arkie and kinda old.

10x
03-17-2013, 10:51 AM
10 in the x ring, preferably cast.....
10x - an acceptable score....

LUBEDUDE
03-17-2013, 06:46 PM
i was born just outside of keo arkansas in 1948 so im a arkie and kinda old.

I'm glad to have read this.

I'm not trying to be funny, before, I thought your handle was OL'Darkie. I'm sure I'm not alone.

You may want to put a capital "A" on arkire

Thanks

canon6
03-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Mine is a radio call sign,from the SE Asia war games.Doug

Bullet Caster
03-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Well, I guess my "handle" is self expanatory. When I first joined Castboolits, I didn't realize that the misspelled boolits was a norm for the site, so I chose Bullet Caster since this is what I planned to do. Cast boolits. The membership straightened me out on what was a bullet (commercial) and a boolit (cast from a mould by yourself). I've changed my Avatar several times. Then I thought about the state dog of Tennessee, which is a blue tick hound. And then this beautiful blue tick hound showed up at our house and was scared to death. It took over 6 months to finally gain his trust. He's definitely a rescue that someone had beaten previously. He'd probably make a good hunting dog except he's afraid of his own shadow and definitely gun shy. Too bad. But he is a good dog and I love him. BC

JeffinNZ
03-18-2013, 04:54 AM
Not a lot of thought went into mine.

Fishman
03-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Well SuperAwesomeMan was already taken. :)

Mine has been the same forever on many forums. It is a contraction of what I work on (Fish) and who I am (Man). In some cases the name has been taken, so I've added my location as well (Tx).

Everyone should have an alter-ego!

10x
03-18-2013, 07:48 AM

However it is still very well thought out, to the point, memorable, and a reflection of where you are.
Pretty good handle for not thinking about it much!

selmerfan
03-18-2013, 08:42 AM
selmerfan - In addition to my myriad of other hobbies, talents, and gainful employment activities, I hold an undergrad degree in Music Education with saxophone emphasis. I happen to prefer Selmer saxophones, though strangely all of my current private sax students play on Yamahas! Oh well, they still play well - one tenor player is auditioning for all-state band auditions tomorrow....

oldarkie
03-18-2013, 10:27 AM
thanks for the heads up lubedude,trying to add a picture to clear up the misconseption.

jmort
03-18-2013, 10:33 AM
^ I read it wrong as well, but I figured to each his own, and thought it possible there was some "privilege" for you to be "Ol'Darkie."

RayinNH
03-18-2013, 10:49 AM

I resemble that remark :)

firefly1957
03-18-2013, 06:53 PM
My CB handle was Firefly so you can probably guess the rest. If you look though the old threads you will find there is another about this somewhere.

dudits
03-18-2013, 07:06 PM
i read ol'darkie as well!
i have a tube of darkie toothpaste

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/234333/

cajun shooter
03-19-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm really a SASS shooter and should have maybe used my handle from there as it goes back to my teen days.
I've always had a love for motorcycles. I threw my paper route from a Cushman Husky. I was selling some Indian parts to a new kid in the neighborhood and he asked, how do I know you are giving me a good deal. My best friend spoke up and stated , David always gives everyone a "Fairshake". That name was used by most of my friends through the years.
I then joined this site as my first forum I ever became a member of after having my first PC in 2007. I thought about using my cowboy handle but decided to use Cajun Shooter as a way to let everyone know where I was from. It also would tell those who know how I lived.
On all other forums that I have signed onto I use my SASS handle of Fairshake.
It also tells what type of person I am and how I try to live my life. Later David