PDA

View Full Version : Lee Load-Master, .45 ACP

LarryM
08-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Looking at going progressive for loading .45 ACP and maybe later adding .357 Mag. Thinking about the Lee Load-Master but I've never done more than look at pictures of the thing. Any feedback from owners/users woudl be appreciated.

Larry

:Fire: :castmine:

Crash_Corrigan
08-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Save your money and get a Dillon 550 instead. I had a Lee Load Master. I worked for 3 years to get it to produce good boolits. It always hung up with the priming. I cannot tell you how many rounds ended up w/o a primer! i threw it out....did not sell it...threw it out...it is a piece of crap.

mtgrs737
08-17-2007, 03:54 PM
+1 on the Dillon 550B, you are never sorry you bought qualitly in the long run!

Dale53
08-17-2007, 04:20 PM
I like and use a number of Lee products but the "Loadmaster" is not one of them.

I think that the Lee turret press is one of the outstanding items out there for the money. I have had one and have run thousands of loads through it. The new Classic Turret is even better. Get a four hole turret (if you are in the market for a turret press) and you'll be happy.

However, for a real Progressive Press (technically, I guess it is a "near" progressive as it does not have auto advance) I can recommend, without reservation, the Dillon 550B. I use my Lee turret when I want to work up a load (it is quicker and easier to change calibers for a small run). When I want to run quantity, however, I definitely go to the Dillon, whether it is a .32 S&W Long, a .44 magnum, or a .375 H&H Magnum and nearly everything inbetween.

When I am doing quantity for my handguns, I load them in 1000 round batches. I can do that on the Dillon in two hours or so. By actual timing, I loaded 500 in under an hour but I had help with my son keeping the primer tubes loaded. It is easy to do 1000 in a couple of hours or so WHEN YOU HAVE LEARNED HOW. I just load at my own pace and do NOT try to press it. That is not something you want to do when reloading. Pay attention to sounds as well as effort. When you get a rhythm going and something "screws up" there will be a change in effort or sound. Pay attention to these and you'll have fewer possible problems.

I love a good progressive press but you DO have to pay attention to avoid potential problems. If you are pretty good mechanically, and have loaded a good bit with a conventional press, you should be good to go. If you lack mechanical ability you should reconsider and perhaps stay with a single stage press.

FWIW
Dale53

dromia
08-17-2007, 04:21 PM
You may want to read this to help you make a decision.

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

I have the Hornady L-n-L AP been running it now for over two years on rifle ammo and it hasn't missed a beat.

DanM
08-17-2007, 06:00 PM
You have to be a mechanic to keep a Loadmaster running, and a magician to keep it running perfectly. Lee does have great customer support, and they have always replaced any part I broke at no charge. But things do break. Mine is running well now, only 3-4 inverted primers per 100 rounds. This is with every trick in the book applied....

NuJudge
08-17-2007, 06:17 PM
I do the size/deprime and prime separately, then let the press do the rest. No problems at all.

CDD

dragonrider
08-17-2007, 06:32 PM
I had a Loadmaster, and my experience with it was similar to Crash Corrigans. Only took six months for me though. Sold for half what I paid for it just to get it GONE. Would have hammered it into a shapeless lump and sent it to Dillon along with a check for a 550 but this fellow begged me to sell it to him. He won't talk to me now. [smilie=1:

Ben
08-17-2007, 08:14 PM
NuJudge:

I do the same....I deprime and reprime as a separate operation. I like the idea of a clean primer pocket. I fill the feed tubes with cases that are already sized & primed. No problems with my LoadMaster. I think it is a good progressive. I'd buy another one.
I have a good friend that is a seasoned reloader. He has several Dillions, he has had his fair share of problems with them, when he calls the company for customer support it isn't there.............By the way, he recently purchased a Lee Load Master. He likes his.

Ben

S.R.Custom
08-17-2007, 09:43 PM
NuJudge:

I do the same....I deprime and reprime as a separate operation. I like the idea of a clean primer pocket. I fill the feed tubes with cases that are already sized & primed.

Same here. Doing a case sizinge operation in the same pull as everything else disguises the "feel" of the other things goin on, and I make fewer mistakes if the cases are done seperately and are ready to go...

And, as others have stated, the primer mechanism is junk.

Marc2
08-17-2007, 11:51 PM
I know it may deny some of you great pleasure but if anyone is unhappy with their Loadmaster and wants to smash it, burn it, smelt it, shoot it, turn it into a boat anchor, or otherwise dispose of it, send it to me first. I have kind of a home for orphaned Loadmasters.

Marc

Pepe Ray
08-18-2007, 12:44 AM
I'll second that, Marc2. I'll admit that there is a learning curve but all of my hangups have been my own fault. Usually inattention.
If some one wants to get rid of an Loadmaster contact
Pepe Ray

Jim
08-18-2007, 01:05 AM
I've been using Lee products for many years and still continue to buy their products. That is, everything that DOESN'T HAVE MOVING PARTS! I don't know what the problem is with Lee, but they can't seem to make anything with moving parts that won't fall apart. The only thing I've heard of lately from Lee with moving parts that seems to be holding up is their Classic Cast press.

Dan H
08-18-2007, 01:10 AM
I load for 38 and 45 ACP and have 2 bolted to my bench for each brass holder.
For the price they're worth it.
Tried and true. Keep the powder measure off to the side so I can fill the case, and then seat and crimp. No chance for double charge.
I never need to use a FCD for 38 LWC.
Always use the FCD for 45 ACP.
FCD's aren't much
Never dissatisfied.
Best product for value

Dan H
08-18-2007, 01:20 AM
Sorry folks,

I only have single station presses, and misspoke.

I've got more time than money so they're worth it.

redbear705
08-18-2007, 06:24 AM
I too have a Loadmaster (which I bought used).

I size,deprime on a single stage then hand prime as this gives me a chance to final inspect the case before wasting a primer,powder and bullet.

There are several vid's on Youtube.com that have very helpful info on set up and maintenance so check them out if you are having troubles.

As to the case feeder...ya gotta keep yer eye on it for doubles and inverted cases and the powder measure will have bridging with small charges of flake powders (titegroup is one) but over all I like the Loadmaster.

When I bought it used I was having issues with the casting that holds the case loader bar..the casting had a crack in it. I called Lee they said to send it in.....they replaced it no charge! They have a customer for life....but I got to find a way to make Titegroup work for the small charges for 9mm.....:)

By the way, the four hole turret press has no issues with the bridging of flake powders because it rotates during the indexing and the powder gets a chance to shake and fall into the cavity.

JR

DanM
08-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Maybe I was a little too tough in my first post. My Loadmaster has fed my habit, and kept me shooting for over 10 years. It has some sterling qualities, especially the ease of caliber change. Tool heads are cheap, and I keep seven or eight ready with dies pre set. With same sized primers, a caliber change takes only 3-4 minutes. Maybe 10 minutes tops if you are changing primer size. I have heard that other brands take much longer. The powder measure is tops. Drops a very consistant charge and bells the case mouth at the same time. I have the double set of disks, and sometimes fine tune loads with a 6-32, or 8-32 allen screw. Mostly that is not nessessary. No problems with titegroup in .45acp, and I use WSF or blue dot in 9x19, so no worries there either. Only powder that gave me trouble was AA9 which is like slick dust and can squeeze by the disk. Still drops good charges though. Another cool thing is the case feeder. Holds 84-.45acp cases. Mine has given little trouble, none with proper adjustment. Primer feed is another story. I have studied the system ad nauseum, and with all adjustments and tricks applied, it still inverts the occasional primer. The main trick is to use a decap only die in the first hole, and put the sizer in the second hole without the pin. That holds the case firmly in place during priming, and eliminates most priming problems. Just don't have the mojo to get it perfect. I can understand what you guys are saying about priming on a single, but that seems counter productive to me. I use my LM for the whole process, and toss the odd badly primed round. Having said that, I have heard Dillon owners complain about the same problem. Oh yeah, I also like having 5 stations. The extra hole for a factory crimp die. Now I would consider the Hornaday LNL or Dillon 650 if I had the dough. The LM does make me a lot of good ammo though, so I will probably keep it....

Ben
08-18-2007, 11:40 AM
As to my own Lee Load Master, I could never get the case slider to work automatically. That's fine however, when I move the press through a complete cycle, I just take my right hand and move the case slider with a quick move and a fresh case is in position. If you don't remember to do that .......no danger will occur because the powder measure on the Lee LM can't be actuated without a fresh case being in positon.

I don't consider ( although I've already said I like mine and would buy another one ) the Lee LM the ultimate progressive reloader on the market by any stretch of the imagination.

I do feel that for the amount of money spent if you can adapt to it's limitations ( none of which are safety related ) it is a fine loader. Kinda like owning a 6 cylinder Chevy......not as flashy as a " Caddy ", but you are still going to get there in a reliable and dependable fashion...............

I think we should all remember here that if it weren't for Lee, we would all be paying $100 + for a set of 38 Special reloading dies now. I think Lee has done a good job of holding prices down in the fair market place of all the other reloading equip. manufacturers. Lee's prices have always been competitive.

Thanks,
Ben

DanM
08-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Ben....About your case feeder....Lee will tell you not to do this, but it works for me. The square rod that the slider actuator arm rides on. Not sure of terminology, but that rod that sticks out the right side at an angle. loosen the set screw just enough to move the rod with a 1/4" wrench. Turn it counter clockwise in very small increments till you get positive slider movement. If you go too far it will interfere with the case slider. Mine works best at about 20-30 degrees off square. Also the screws on the rod slider must be tight. I have replaced the top one with a slightly larger flanged sheet metal screw. Other basic stuff is involved in the slider set up, but I assume you are good with all that. Lee says to lube with a little STP, and they are right about that.

LarryM
08-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. You all convinced me, I went out and bought a Lyman T-mag II.:roll:
I did give it a lot of thought though. But the way I want to handle primers and as anal as I am about verification of each step the Load-Master just doesn't seem to me like a good fit for how I want to do it.

Darn good discussion on the merits and demerits of Lee presses though.

Now I got to go figure out how to mount this thing...

Larry

Ben
08-18-2007, 04:44 PM
LarryM:

Speed is nice in reloading, but if you have a system that you're using that meets your needs and you're comfortable with it, I say ..." Go for it ! ! " Good luck with your T-Mag II. You've got a good press.

Ben

KYCaster
08-18-2007, 06:40 PM
I used a Load Master for about four years to load .45 ACP to feed my IPSC habit. Had chronic problems with case and primer feeders that others have described. I got the case feed working fairly well, but had to clean and lube it before every loading session.

The primer feed never worked well, inverted primers and high primers in about 12 to 14% of loads. Called Lee on several occasions and actually talked to Richard Lee himself....I was impressed that he actually manned the tech line occasionally. Never solved the problem, he kept telling me if I oriented the primers correctly in the tray they would feed properly 'cause the machine couldn't turn them over.

We finally had a pretty heated discussion of the merits of his design and he told me that I may be better off with a press from some other company. I took his advise....smart feller, that Richard Lee.

Jerry

Castoff
08-18-2007, 10:43 PM
TO Larry M.
I have 5 Dillon Presses. 4- 650's and one 550.
They all have ABS ( Plastic) indexing pawls which a re easily broken
and the worst problem is that the Dillon Powder measures have a + or - 1.5 grain limit on accuracy , according to the Dillon factory. I have spoken to them numerous times about the inability of a Dillon Powder measure to throw a charge better than + or - 1.5 grains of the set amount.
Dillon has told me many times their powder measures cannot be made more accurate. This means that if you are loading a 10 grain powder charge, you might get 8.5 grains and you might get 11.5 grains..........or somewhere in between.

I have used all types of powders from Bullseye to Unique and numerous others. This lack of both accuracy and consistancy is just not acceptable to me and I feel it is a dangerous situation. I have stopped using ALL 5 of my Dillon progressive presses.

I have no interest in arguing about preferences of products nor to "bash" any one company, I am only passing along what Dillon has told me personally.

Your call, buy what makes you happy.

crabo
08-19-2007, 12:57 AM
This might help

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1231

Lloyd Smale
08-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Ive had a load master and a pro 1000 and if anything the loadmaster was even more problem prone then the 1000. Everything in my shop is blue now. I guess if I had to prime and size in a seperate operation id be looking for another press as the reason i went to progressive presses was speed in the first place. I use to do it with case that required lube and then after sizing and priming id tumble but for about the last 5 years i usually just tumble the loaded rounds about a 1/2 hour and ive yet to have any problems doing it.

38-55
08-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Hey Guys,
What type of problems do ya'll have with your 1000's or loadmasters ? I have a 1000 here that has well over 150,000 rds through it with no real major problems other than operator error. I like it for pistol stuff but would not recomend it for anything riffle....
Just my 2 cents
Calvin

redbear705
08-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Regarding case feeder problems.....here is a vidieo that will help......JR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW5fuw9KaVA

trickyasafox
08-19-2007, 04:28 PM
i have a couple pro 1000s and 1 turret. the turret won't index for me lately. . . but i didn't have time to tinker with it. i'm sure its a small problem that is easily fixed.

the pro 1000s have worked well. my only complaint is that i have no room for a FCD and must do so on a single stage after i make my run of ammo. still pretty quick though.

i bought mine used and think they were totally worth it.

Lucky Joe
08-19-2007, 06:21 PM
I would try a Lee progressive, in fact that is what I was looking for years ago more or less because of price. I've used a lot of Lee stuff and been pretty satisfied. Along came a Hornady Progressive at a really good price, like I said I would buy a Lee but I can't get my Hornady to stop.

Lloyd Smale
08-19-2007, 09:16 PM
cast off ive got 6 dillon presses. 5 square deals and a 550 and ive never found a problem with inconsistant powder charges unless i used a big flake powder anything like bullseye and ball powder and even powders as course as unique and herco run though it just fine. Only thing i find there measure lacking for is extruded powders like 4350 which to be honest i havent found a powder measure yet that worked with them. One trick to any progressive is to do the operation smoothly and the same every time. If you go easy one time and slam it the next you will get varitations in any progressive press. To not trust your dillon is kind of silly. I know people that load commercialy on 1050s with the same measures on them and if its safe enough for them to crank out ammo in this sue happy society i guess i can trust them too.
TO Larry M.
I have 5 Dillon Presses. 4- 650's and one 550.
They all have ABS ( Plastic) indexing pawls which a re easily broken
and the worst problem is that the Dillon Powder measures have a + or - 1.5 grain limit on accuracy , according to the Dillon factory. I have spoken to them numerous times about the inability of a Dillon Powder measure to throw a charge better than + or - 1.5 grains of the set amount.
Dillon has told me many times their powder measures cannot be made more accurate. This means that if you are loading a 10 grain powder charge, you might get 8.5 grains and you might get 11.5 grains..........or somewhere in between.

I have used all types of powders from Bullseye to Unique and numerous others. This lack of both accuracy and consistancy is just not acceptable to me and I feel it is a dangerous situation. I have stopped using ALL 5 of my Dillon progressive presses.

I have no interest in arguing about preferences of products nor to "bash" any one company, I am only passing along what Dillon has told me personally.

Your call, buy what makes you happy.

charlie / sw mo
08-19-2007, 10:48 PM
gents i believe i would try a loadmaster if i had room on my benches. i have always believed that the less you fiddle around with these progressive presses the better off you are. i have 7 lee 1000 presses on my benches and while i agree that you have to keep your eye on them as far as adjustment and clean goes i still would not trade them for anything else. iv had two in use since 1987 __45 acp and 38/357-- they still work fine. i use a dillon 550 for rifle only (11 sets of dies there). iv got a rockchucker and a rockchucker jr with the hornady lock and load bushings in them. i have 3 lyman turret presses i leave set up for one caliber or another. iv got two truline jr presses with 7/8 holes in the turrets that i havent decided what caliber to set them up with yet. if anyone has a truline jr and wants to convert it to the 7/8 dies i think iv still got the guys address who makes them---about 50 bucks apiece tho. i use the dillon moterized trimmer and have it mounted on a c-h press. i shoot cast bullets in all my weapons and use mostly alox for lube. altho iv got 5 sizers on the bench i use the lee push thru most. i keep 4 of them on a lyman all american press. i guess if anyone realy wants to get rid of a loadmaster i could help them out---allways room for another press
charlie in sw mo

rbstern
08-21-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm a big Loadmaster fan. I have one, dedicated to 38 special. I usually sit down to crank out a batch of 200 to 300 rounds at a time, and with rare exception, I just add powder, make sure I have primers in the tray, and dump the cases in the sorter/feeder. Works every time. Takes me about 30 minutes to make a batch, and I'm off to the range.

Every once in a blue moon, I'll clean out the powder flakes from beneath the shell plate, and clean the primer shute. Other than that, she just keeps running like a top. Good machine.

Petander
08-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Here is one Lee 1000 for 9 mm only. I got it from a friend "because it doesn´t work".

Well it has worked for me . Ammo is not premium quality ( there are tolerances for that I guess ) but it is acceptable. I´d like a fourth station, too. I use a Hornady progressive for more accurate work - and for some rifle calibers.

My friend may actually want his Lee 1000 back now , I just need to show him how to use this. I´ll probably get one for myself again, this is not bad at all. Also very fast, especially if you have someone else filling up the case tubes.

38-55
08-26-2007, 09:03 AM
trickyasafox,
There is a philips head screw at the base of the turret just above the ram. Turn it til the turret clicks into it's detent and the turret will be 'timed'.
Calvin

largecaliberman
08-29-2007, 03:41 PM
I recently bought a Load Master. The biggest grief is the priming mechanism. I had bent, flipped sideways, etc, etc. The priming mechanism IS THE weakest link in the loading process. What I do now is remove all the dies except for the sizing and depriming die and remove the bolt to prevent from the lever from engaging the priming mechanism.

I know that this defeats the purpose but I do the sizing and depriming first on the press, then hand prime each casing then feed the primed cases into the press without the decapping pin and the priming mechanism.

In order for Lee to keep the Loadmaster in the market, Lee has to improve on the priming mechanism.

Just an added note----the bin that catches the loaded boolits---- that red bin could be purchased at a hardware store for for less than $15.00 for a 12!!!

largecaliberman
08-29-2007, 04:04 PM
I recently bought a Load Master. The biggest grief is the priming mechanism. I had bent, flipped sideways, etc, etc. The priming mechanism IS THE weakest link in the loading process. What I do now is remove all the dies except for the sizing and depriming die and remove the bolt to prevent from the lever from engaging the priming mechanism.

I know that this defeats the purpose but I do the sizing and depriming first on the press, then hand prime each casing then feed the primed cases into the press without the decapping pin and the priming mechanism.

In order for Lee to keep the Loadmaster in the market, Lee has to improve on the priming mechanism.

trickyasafox
08-29-2007, 08:55 PM
38-55 I think thats on the pro-1000s. . . the screw that indexes the shell plate? on the turret its a bit different, you have to loosen a screw towards the back, and i know i have it over tightened now. i'll play with it come thanksgiving when i home on break :)

thanks for looking out for me!