PDA

View Full Version : T/C Cherokee

quilbilly
03-14-2013, 12:42 AM
I just picked up a T/C Cherokee on a trade. It is a pretty thing built from a kit I think and since it is .45 cal, will be great for the local blacktail deer. Since I already have a T/C Seneca with a broken stock (duct tape repair), are any of the parts interchangeable without problems.

Nobade
03-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Just about all of them. They are very similar rifles, different stocks of course and IIRC the under rib is a different length. Just have to look at it and decide what interchanges.

Neat rifles, by the way. I have two and really like them. The first is a 45 cal like yours. Barrel is very worn and it wouldn't shoot balls at all. I tried the Lee 230gr. TC boolits in it that are made for the 45 ACP, paper patched. It loves those! Very accurate and plenty of power for a deer. Might be something useful to keep in mind...

-Nobade

pietro
03-14-2013, 05:12 PM
The locks, triggers & triggerguards interchange readily, but the bbl lengths differ by 3" or so - why the underrib's are different.

The stock's won't readily interchange because the forend tenon on the barrel is in a different position in relation to the lock, on each model, again due to the bbl length difference.

If your Cherokee's a kit gun, the SN should have a "K" prefix, since the factory-built rifle's SN's had no letter prefix.

I used an early double-trigger .45 Cherokee for almost 20 years on Whitetails, before I traded it & got the .45 Seneca I use now.

To tell the truth, I wish now that I had that Cherokee .45 back, instead of this Seneca, mostly since I have no use for the extra brass & bbl length on it.

quilbilly
03-14-2013, 06:47 PM
It is a double trigger design and I certainly hope it shoots PRB as well as the Seneca even with the duct tape repair. I will check that serial number. Whoever built the Cherokee it did a beautiful job on the stock with a very dark rich stain and it looks to have been just barely fired then put away for a couple decades.

bubba.50
03-14-2013, 06:51 PM
the wedges are in the same location for both guns. what affects interchangeability is the difference in fore-end length. you can put a Seneca barrel right on a Cherokee stock but there will be about an inch & a half gap between underrib & fore-end tip. to put a Cherokee barrel on a Seneca you'd have to trim the length of the rib about the same inch & a half.

quilbilly
03-14-2013, 07:02 PM
I guess I will keep looking for a Seneca stock at a reasonable price ( stop laughing!). I cried when I fell over that stump in the dark dragging that mule deer out. The sound of that stock hitting that stump remains with me....but its barrel still drives tacks even with the duct tape.

451 Pete
03-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Never have had a Seneca but I bought a nice used and well cared for Cherokee for my boys many years back in a .45 cal. Three boys here and a number of youngsters at Friendship have learned to load and shoot a muzzle loader with this rifle. Last year I ran into a fellow that had a .32 cal. barrel complete with the sights, ram rod and under rib for sale for a Cherokee so now it is a two barrel set up and one of the most versatile rifles I own. They are great rifles and I am sure you will enjoy yours.

Pete

majg1234
03-18-2013, 11:01 PM
just don't load her too heavy many of them have been broken by using too much powder

quilbilly
03-19-2013, 10:51 PM
majg1234 - been using the Seneca and 45 PRB for over 20 seasons on deer with 55 gr of Goex FFF. Hot loads were never necessary to fill the freezer.