PDA

View Full Version : Vent: reloading equipment stolen

bear67
03-13-2013, 10:27 PM
I had two wooden footlockers of reloading tools and supplies stolen from a barn at the farm last weekend. I am in the process of moving my reloading set up from the farm to the house here at the lake and when I was over there today, I noticed that the sliding door had been broken into. I am sick. It is not the dollar value, but that some low life got my stuff, some of which I started reloading with in 1959/60.

There was my first press, a Herters, powder measures, Mec shotgun press. Ohas scales and dies for several calibers I don't use much, but they were mine and not for sale or theft--25-20, 38-40, and others, several of the Herters and several sets of quality Bystrum Dies. Four pounds each of Red Dot and 700X and 1000+ 110 G .30 carbine bullets. Lost some tools and saddles, but they stole the 2 least valuable saddles in the tack room--newer and cleaner, but cheap and one synthetic. Guess I am glad I sold 20 saddles last year.

Dang, I could shoot a thief. Or nail his scrotum to a stump, set the stump on fire and give him a hatchet.
Vent over, but not forgotten.

Sweetpea
03-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Sorry to hear...

Hopefully Karma is on your side.

double8
03-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Sorry to hear that.......There is low-life everywhere and they are becoming more prolific.
Good idea, that stump thing !!

ranger1962
03-13-2013, 10:39 PM
I'll keep my ears open maybe it will show around here never know. how far are you from Abilene?

km101
03-13-2013, 11:10 PM
That really bites! I dont have anything that I cant replace, but It has a special value to me 'cause I've had it so long, and it's MINE. So I know what you mean. And it may be really hard to replace your stuff right now, because most shops are out of everything. People like that should be TARGETS!

bear67
03-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Ranger, I live almost 300 miles east of Abilene. Know that country well though--lived at Blackwell and farmed hogs, wheat, cattle and sheep for years as well as being in oil field construction business. Thieves will probably sell it for pennies on the dollar. I called SO and filed report and as good a list as I could and personally faxed several pawn shops a list--some of these guys are friends and will look out for this stuff. Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Assn has description of the saddles--they look for these as well as stolen cattle.

LUBEDUDE
03-14-2013, 01:51 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss Bear.

May your wishes come true about these animals/

Kevin Rohrer
03-14-2013, 09:59 PM
That stuff will end up on Craig's List, a local pawn shop, or gun show. Keep your eyes pealed, and your hammer handy.

Recluse
03-14-2013, 10:28 PM
That stuff will end up on Craig's List, a local pawn shop, or gun show. Keep your eyes pealed, and your hammer handy.

Exactly. Keep an eye out on your local Craigslist. You've already notified the pawn shops, which is good. Might also send out some letters w/descriptions to local gun stores.

I've still got a week or so of medical recuperation leave left so I'll keep an out on the local Craigslist as well. If I find anything, I'll contact you. You bring the nails and hammer and I'll bring the lighter fluid.

:coffee:

DLCTEX
03-15-2013, 12:26 AM
Having been the victim of theft of guns and equipment 3 times I know how you feel. I was just thinking of a couple of the guns today and talking with a friend, Malcom (fellow member). Made me mad all over again.

Isaac
03-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Can you think of who may have had knowledge of the lockers being there?

Not knowing any more details, it seems coincidental that someone would "happen" upon your barn at the time when your equipment is temporarily stored there.

Anyone at work who may have heard a casual conversation?
Friends of family members who would know?
Did you report it to the authorities?

Law enforcment in my area have a pretty good handle on pawn shops. They also keep a check on Craig's list, etc.
Reloading gear is not something that comes in everyday.

Good Luck
Isaac

sirgknight
03-15-2013, 09:47 AM
yeah! the hammer on your shotgun....you know, the one the vp told you to buy! might also be time to put up a well hidden trail-camera. those things are great for all kinds of animals! you know what they say....criminals return to scene of the crime....the thief may make a second apprearance.

Beekeeper
03-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Now if it was me I would look for someone close at hand. "Just saying" but someone had to know the stuff was there. Isn't likely it was a random act as those things are planned out reasonably well by someone before hand!
Here we have people that drive the streets looking for open garages to check out.
Claim to be looking for garage sales when asked.

Another new trick is to turn off the electrical to see if anyone is at home and then doing a B&E through the garage door.
They even have a hand held device that will grab your random garage door opener signal and then generate its own random signal to open your garage door.

Not to point a finger but I would look for someone close at hand.

beekeeper

grimace1
03-15-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. If you catch the guy, make sure the hatchet is nice and dull.

Stonecrusher
03-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Sorry to hear about this. I too hate a thief. They didn't get that nice bench priming tool did they?

bear67
03-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Recluse, you bring the lighter fluid and I have a oak stump in mind. And Stonecrusher, the RCBS tool was mounted here at the house. This farm has no one who lives where they can see the barn. They cut the fence to drive in, and pried at the metal door in the big metal shop where there are $30, K in tools, welding machines, 3 roll around tool boxes that belong to my son and I, so it could have been worse.
The horse barn was locked, but easier to break in. We have a new Sheriff and he is a friend--his detective took a good list and was going to put it our on their notice newsletter to our county and surrounding counties. Maybe some of my fault as these OD Green footlockers were labeled on masking tape as "Gun Stuff." This was where I would know what to move to the house. I have other "stuff" stored in other footlockers--30 years ago I bought a 110 of them for $75, so they are just boxes filled with stuff. I collect supplies for electrical, plumbing, cabinet making and on and on. You never have enough cheap stuff for projects. There are 3 footlockers full of electrical breakers that I bought in an auction several years ago. Detective did say he would think it is drug thugs who steel something to pawn, sell or barter for drugs. He was suprised they did not get a trailer as trailers, 4 wheelers, mules, golf carts are commonly stolen. I had a commercial electric truck there with no batteries that they could have had for free.
The reloading stuff makes me mad, but it was probably only 15% of the value of everything taken.
Thanks for the sympathy guys. I spent the day working on an ADA ramp and handrail for a Boy Scout Eagle Project today at our church, and the father of the Eagle candidate is the owner of the largest pawn/sporting/gun shops in a large area (he had 800 guns in inventory last week even with sales at record levels). He said he had a list on the gun counter registers and his guys would be looking at anything that could be mine. It's great to have friends who are willing to help dole out justice for these thieves.

wv109323
03-15-2013, 10:05 PM
I would publish a good list of what was stolen on this site. If we all keep an eye open it should show up. Reloaders are always looking for equipment and if we knew any distinguishing marks we might "find" your stuff.

Remyvtr15
03-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Bear.... I would NOT like to be that thief if u catch him.
Ofcourse, being the guy u r, ur civilized man inside would take ovr.... unless he made the wrong move.

Sorry about ur loss. There's just n safe place anymore.
Be wary fellers, as poop gets worse more and more ppl will become targets

Case Stuffer
03-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Thieves are the scum of the earth and right down there with drug dealers IMO. I feel for your lose and hope they get their just rewards. I moved six years ago and made sure all my firearms and ammo were among the first items moved. I had thousands of cast sized , lubed counted and boxed .38 WC,SWC,9MM RN,TC,.45 ACP RN ,FN, two different types of SWC along with 40 pounds of WW231 and 20K primers plus well over a1,000 lbs. of hardball alloy in my shop . Had neighboors keeping a eye on the place but some low lifes still mangeed to break into the shop and clean it out. It could have been worse as they left my RCBS Pro Melt anlong with all of my molds.

I just ordered two more cameras to add to my security system here. It is a crying shame that stealing has became so common place. I foundly remember living in a time when doors were left unlocked, power tools,chainsaws and such colud be left in the back of an open pickup bed and noone would think twice of taking anything that did not belong to them.

My present neighborhood seems crime free enough ,perhaps the fact that several of us discharge firearms on a regular bases acts as a deterient.

Taylor
03-16-2013, 09:18 PM
You might check the local pawn shops,of course ebay and craigslist as already mentioned,provided they know what they have.

SGTM9
03-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Like everyone I hate a thief. They are the lowest form of scum. My Daughter had a pistol stolen a couple years ago that I had given her for protection. I gave the police the serial number. They recovered it in a couple weeks. She just got it back this past fall. They had to hold it as evidence for the trial I guess. At least she got it back. Good luck on getting your stuff back.

ACrowe25
03-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Very sorry to hear this... Takes a real low-life to steal from someone, take something that is not theirs. But don't worry... Karma will catch up to them and give them the butt-whooping they deserive.

Cane_man
03-18-2013, 11:47 AM
may God bring justice to this situation

300winmag
03-18-2013, 11:49 AM
That bites, what a bunch of low lifes, watch armslist.com also ebay. I would post a list of stolen items on craigslist and armslist.com reward offer, maybe 1 of the buddies or a friend of the thief will roll over on the other for a small price.

http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/texas

Barnacle Brad
03-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Tweekers Suck! Hope you find the mangy critters....

bear67
03-19-2013, 10:00 PM
Had a call this afternoon, my shotgun loader "may" have shown up in a Cherokee County pawn shop. Will check tomorrow.Thanks for all the sympathy and especially the offers to help with the stump thing.

r1kk1
03-20-2013, 12:36 PM
I had my reloading shed hit in the early 90s. They took stuff that is no longer made. I went from anger to depression. Insurance money is one thing, presses no longer made is another. Some things you can't just replace.

Take care

r1kk1

itry
03-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Sorry to hear about that bear. I hope you get your stuff back and a chunk of their hide.
itry

bear67
03-20-2013, 08:18 PM
The loader at the pawn shop was not mine--looked good in pictures sent to SO, may have to go buy it.

nvald1982
05-09-2013, 07:20 PM
sorry to hear that!! any new updates from your stolen items?

bear67
05-09-2013, 07:43 PM
I really supported this Sheriff in the last campaign and I must say his guys have kept me informed. They have caught several break in perps but so far nothing on my stuff. The shotshell loader at Rusk was not mine, but I bought it anyway. I am still finding things that were in the storage footlockers that I am missing, but did not remember. Thanks everyone for the concerns--I am not over it, but will live. Somes of the stuff was not replaceable, like my first press, bought used in '59.

USMC87
05-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Hey Bear, I'm sad to hear about the loss, We have the same dealings here all the time. It got so bad with the thieves a few years back that I had to invest in 2 large German Shepherds to keep peace while we are away just to shop for grocieries.