PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to remove lube from cast boolits?

Dragoon 45
03-13-2013, 06:52 PM
I got a quantity of cast bullets with a rifle I bought recently. Trouble is the lube is full of dirt and other crud from not being stored properly. I would like to use these bullets for fireforming some cases, but am really hesitent on putting them down the barrel of a rifle. There are too many of them to sit there and scrape the lube out with a small screwdriver and the suggestion was made to put them in near boiling water and let it melt the lube out. I don't know what the actual lube is, but assume it is some type of BP lube. Will this work? What other methods have some of you used?

Thank You.

Freightman
03-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Boil them! or melt and re- cast!

Don McDowell
03-13-2013, 08:30 PM
You can hit them with one of those hand held hair dryers, or put them in an oven at about 200*. But boiling them will get the dirt off and give you a nice sheet of lube that can be used for lube cookies.

johnson1942
03-14-2013, 11:14 AM
i asked this question quite a while back and the answers was soak them in paint thinner. they will come out whistle clean. i did and they did.

joec
03-14-2013, 11:41 AM
I got a quantity of cast bullets with a rifle I bought recently. Trouble is the lube is full of dirt and other crud from not being stored properly. I would like to use these bullets for fireforming some cases, but am really hesitent on putting them down the barrel of a rifle. There are too many of them to sit there and scrape the lube out with a small screwdriver and the suggestion was made to put them in near boiling water and let it melt the lube out. I don't know what the actual lube is, but assume it is some type of BP lube. Will this work? What other methods have some of you used?

Thank You.

I do it often as most of the lead cast bullets I buy for 45 Colt get the lube changed for black powder. I take a baking pan put several paper towels in the bottom and preheat the kitchen oven to between 170 to 200 deg max. Once there spread the bullets out on their sides on the paper towels and put it in the oven. In about 10 minutes take them out and the paper will have the lube on it but little to none on the bullets. Let the cool and ready to re-lube be it pan lube or some other method.

Dragoon 45
03-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Thank you for the ideas.