PDA

View Full Version : My old 1917 Colt New Service

Jim
08-17-2007, 05:57 AM
I recently discovered it is badly out of time.:groner: The gun club prez put me in touch w/ a local top notch pistol/revolver smith, so I'm gonna take it to him and see can he get it straightened out for me. I've always wanted one of these things and the nostalgia/romance is strong enough to motivate me to spend more money on it.
Actually, I ain't got that much in it so far. $150 plus the Governer's 6% to get it home and another $130 for a perfect Parkerizing job. I think I've just barely got 3 bills in it.
The smith says $30/hr. for his time and parts. He said very likely it might come in under $100. I'd say it's worth it.

9.3X62AL
08-17-2007, 09:26 AM
'Smiths or armorers willing to take on a re-time in a Colt D/A revolver don't grow on trees--at least, around here they don't. It's nice to know that someplace still has craftsmen of that description available.

felix
08-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Rare around here also. Must go to gunshow to find them. Invariably, they are from somewhere else, sometimes far away. ... felix

Char-Gar
08-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Most often the timing problems on these old Colts are the result of a "bottom hand short{ problem. The fix is to stretch the hand and refit, or replace the hand and refit. It not a difficult job if you know how.

chunkum
08-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Is it out of time or just doesn't lock up when cocked single action? The first thing to remember is that with Colts, even if the lockup is not completed with cocking, the design is such that the upward pressure continues with the trigger pull and most of them will lock up then.

However, Chargar's comments describe the usual difficulty. And the hand in a Colt New Service is case hardened and not hardened through and through as with a Smith & Wesson. By removing the hand and "peening" it so as to slightly elevate the level of its contact with the ratchet (stretch it as he states), in many instances, the lockup will again be simultaneous with the single action cocking. It's important to do the peening a little at a time with incremental "trials" along the way. Again, not difficult if you know what you are about.
Best Regards,
Chunkum

Jim
08-18-2007, 03:38 PM
I finnaly(finnaly? wotinell izzat?) finally(there ya' go) got the New Service to the smith. I ran into him at the club range and had the gun with me. He looked it over and said he could fix it, but asked me if I shoot it a lot. "No, not really". "Do you carry it?" "Nope" He suggested I accept it with its faults, be understanding and keep it.
So, the old soldier has a retirement home now. From time to time, I'll give him the opportunity to show them young pups he can still put holes in the 5X at 25 yards. And I'm grateful for his service in defending my freedom.