PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up dirty 22lr cases

Sliver Shooter
03-13-2013, 03:08 PM
I have seen postes on here about cleaning brass and I have tryed cleaning in my media vib cleaner as well as my sonic cleaner. I've cleaned in soapy water and I've cleaned in vineager solution. How in the world do you guys get such nice shiney clean brass? Or do you just take pics of the best stuff? LOL..

BT Sniper
03-13-2013, 03:30 PM
After you derim it (using rotary) and possibly after you seat the core (using vibrating tumbler) follow these steps. It is what I do.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?181682-Secret-to-making-better-more-accurate-bullets!&highlight=

Houndog
03-13-2013, 03:59 PM
I use a ultrasonic cleaner with 1 teaspoon of Citric Acid and a squirt of Dawn dishwashing liquid per quart of water to clean the brass BEFORE derimming or anealing and do it again after annealing and derimming. I also wash my squirted cores in Acetone and let them sit at least 3 days before I seat them in the jacket to let them SLIGHTLY oxidize so they grip the jacket better. Brian is 100% on target that you NEED absolutely clean comopnents to make good bullets!

Sliver Shooter
03-13-2013, 04:16 PM
This ceramic media, where and what size stuff do you use?

BT Sniper
03-13-2013, 05:41 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/513681/lyman-replacement-ceramic-media-for-moly-bullet-finishing-kit-175-lbs

The new Stainless media will probalby work just as well if not better

BT

Bonz
03-13-2013, 05:46 PM
and the Stainless Steel Media company actually advertises on our site, look at the top of the webpage

Thats where I bought my wet tumbling setup from. There is also a member of this site that makes his own out of PVC pipe and sells them on his website.

Here is a photo of some brass that I just washed

Some of the cases are stained but the wet tumbling cleans them 99%

fredj338
03-13-2013, 06:46 PM
SS media, Lemishine & a bit of dish soap in a tumbler makes them look shiney new. I don't do my brass cases for reloading this way, but my derimmed 22lr jackets look awesome. Left is ss media, right is ss & copper BB media.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/223jackets_zps1ef125b8.jpg

bullet maker 57
03-13-2013, 07:18 PM
If you go to the Lyman website They sell the same ceramic media in a 2 lb bag. It is the same as Midway, just more of it and at the same price.

DukeInFlorida
03-13-2013, 09:16 PM
The picture that Bonz posted is what I get out of the low cost, home made wet tumbler system I made last summer:

http://youtu.be/5u4mSA6BbRc

BT Sniper
03-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Just picked up a tumbler and SS media as well. Got the 40# model for the large lots of brass I need to clean.

As far as preclean/prewash the 22lr brass I boiled mine in some citric acid and dish soap with decent results, be sure to use an alunimum pot or you will copper plate a steel one.

BT

algunjunkie
03-14-2013, 01:33 AM
I use the STM for all my brass and jackets. Lemishime and dish detergent with warm water does the job wonderfully. Had similar results in a sonic cleaner. I clean the jackets before derimming and again after annealing. Then when they are all done I clean one last time for 30 minutes and the are almost mirrored finish.

Lizard333
03-14-2013, 10:18 AM
SS media. If you don't overload the media, too much brass to pins, they come out looking like new. Not cheap, but the best way in my opinion to clean brass. A little lemi shine and a small amount of soap, and they turn out awesome. My wife won a contest on STM's Facebook page using my brass of a before and after. Got me one of their hats.

anotherred
03-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Haven't tried the SS media on .22 shells yet, but it really is amazing on all other brass. 2# brass, 1 tsp. lemishine, and 2 TBS. of dawn dish soap. Tumble for 4 hrs., rinse really well and dry. Like little gold nuggets when done. Now I got to find a good way to keep them from tarnishing, as they loose some luster over time.

Sliver Shooter
03-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Bought some Lemishine today. WWWWWOOOOOOWWWW!!!! That stuff is good. I am amazed.

algunjunkie
03-14-2013, 10:47 PM
To keep mine from turning or tarnishing I simple was clean in hot water, rinse once in hot water and then rinse it again in cold clean water. I have not had any to turn or dull since then. But be warned there is no protective coating on the brass and finger prints show up real good, wear gloves. Once I lube and size brass I have not had any problem.