PDA

View Full Version : 22 magnum rimfire from 22 rimfire?

Russell James
08-17-2007, 01:49 AM
Fellas, is there such a thing as a 22 rimfire improved? E.G. Can you simply obtain a reamer and fire 22 magnum rimfire out of youre 22 rimfire.
I would be interested to hear if there is any way to do this .
Can anyone help?
Regards Russell James.

MT Gianni
08-17-2007, 01:44 PM
I read on six-guns a long time ago about people rechambering 1 chamber of a Ruger single six for 22 Mag. No actual experience. Gianni.

KCSO
08-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Depends on the gun, the locking system and the barrel. Some of the older 22's had tight bores and even if the gun is strong enough the undersize bore won't give yo a good group. Most bolt guns won't handle any extra length in the magazine and most pumps and semi's won't work either. Most of the guns that will work this way(kit gun, ruger s/s ect.) already come with 2 cylinders. Some single shots make out all right I have a 513 that was converted and it works OK. The difference of $4 bucks a box on ammo to get an extra 200 fps never appealed much to me. I did have a 22 Jet with inserts for 22 LR and 22 Mag, but the dissapointing preformance of the Jet caused me to let this one go.

JeffinNZ
08-17-2007, 05:13 PM
I know that a lot of .22RF Martini target rifles have been converted to .22 Win Mag and .22 Hornet here in NZ and in AU.

They work well as the British .22 target barrels were up the higher pressure loads however in the Hornet it is prudent to use .223 diameter projectiles due to the "tight" bore.

Russell James
08-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks fellas,the rifle is actually a 22cal lr rf Winchester model 59 single shot.
Am not sure if I will take the plunge but youre comments were well received.
Russell James.