PDA

View Full Version : Kool-Aid Pickles.

TheGrimReaper
03-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Any of ya'll ever had Kool-Aid Pickles? Seen them on Bizzare Foods awhile back on a show about the Missippi Delta Region. Made a jar of Cherry flavored ones the night before last to try. Everthing I read on them said they are tasty!!!

Duzy
03-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Sounds weird.

TheGrimReaper
03-13-2013, 04:11 PM
I thought so too, but gonna have to try them anyways.

Doc_Stihl
03-13-2013, 04:19 PM
How do you make them? Vinegar+Pickling Spices+Kool-Aid?

xacex
03-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Alton Brown did a segment on one of his shows showing how to make them. If you do a search for Alton Brown cool-aid pickle recipe it will pop-up somewhere. Never tried them myself because I already have a blue ribbon pickle recipe that I don't want to ruin with cool-aid. Have you tried squash pickles? I pickle the little yellow squash, and small zuc's in my pickle recipe 1 for 1 and they taste great, and have a snap to them. toss some baby carrots on the jar and it is a good way to get veggies in a kid.

xacex
03-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Kool-Aid Pickles
(Koolickles)

1 46 oz jar of dill pickles
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
2 packets of cherry Kool Aid
Drain and discard the pickle juice. Slice pickles in half lengthwise. Return pickles to jar and set aside. Mix the Kool Aid and add to jar until pickles are covered. Let soak in refrigerator at least 24 hours – the longer the better. I like to use the giant jugs of pickles and I double the amount of Kool Aid. For Halloween I will be making orange koolickles.
Don’t knock til you try it – I’m really looking for other people who have tried it and may have other recipes or ideas for using them – stories about seeing them in the south – that kind of thing
Don’t knock til you try it – I’m really looking for other people who have tried it and may have other recipes or ideas for using them – stories about seeing them in the south – that kind of thing – Thanks!

TheGrimReaper
03-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Kool-Aid Pickles
(Koolickles)

1 46 oz jar of dill pickles
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
2 packets of cherry Kool Aid
Drain and discard the pickle juice. Slice pickles in half lengthwise. Return pickles to jar and set aside. Mix the Kool Aid and add to jar until pickles are covered. Let soak in refrigerator at least 24 hours – the longer the better. I like to use the giant jugs of pickles and I double the amount of Kool Aid. For Halloween I will be making orange koolickles.
Don’t knock til you try it – I’m really looking for other people who have tried it and may have other recipes or ideas for using them – stories about seeing them in the south – that kind of thing
Don’t knock til you try it – I’m really looking for other people who have tried it and may have other recipes or ideas for using them – stories about seeing them in the south – that kind of thing – Thanks!

I basicaly used this one but used the pickles juice instead of water.

SciFiJim
03-14-2013, 01:17 AM
I had never heard of this before. I eat lots of pickles and have the cool-aid on hand. I will have to try it!

TheGrimReaper
03-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Oaky, first jar was ready today.......they are AWSOME!!!! Sweet and sour is the best way to describe them.

John Allen
03-18-2013, 03:37 PM
It just does not seem right to mix kool aid with pickles but now I have to try it.

dudits
03-18-2013, 04:16 PM
i love pickles!
have never tried this but i will go get some koolaid and try some modified claussen's.
i keep claussen spears and milwaukee baby kosher dills on hand at all times.

please post back everyone as to which flavors ya try and how ya liked them.

thanks TGR for the post

SciFiJim
03-18-2013, 10:41 PM
I started a jar of cherry cool-aid pickles over the weekend. I will give them a couple of weeks before trying them.

rush1886
03-19-2013, 07:16 PM
do the above recipe, then throw in a teaspoon of red pepper flakes, or a whole dried chile'd'arbol, for a little--ready?--wait for it!!---PUNCH!!!