PDA

View Full Version : Question about RCBS Piggyback II

timspawn
03-13-2013, 11:52 AM
I just picked one up that is new in the box. I did some research and most of the reviews were negative. I am wondering if I should keep it or sell it. Has anybody here used one? What is your opinion?

bullet maker 57
03-13-2013, 01:38 PM
I have and use one for large primers. Got to frustrated trying to make the adjustments for small primer. Has to be kept clean. Once it is dialed in, It works pretty good. Almost as fast as my Dillon. Good luck.

Randy C
03-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Hand prime if priming is a problem and take a look at your brass while you are priming a lot of lee users do it that way.

Smokin7mm
03-13-2013, 02:52 PM
I have been using one for 20+ years. Mine is one of the first they offered with auto indexing. The newer ones are manual index. I had to send it in once about 14 years ago because it stopped indexing properly. They replaced it with new unit without a question (great customer service) and has worked ever since. I did upgrade to their new powder drop system that is actuated by a case directly in lieu of the side rod type. I only use it for my pistol cartridges and a few that are based on the 223 case as that is what it was intended for. I still load single stage for all my rifle stuff. I guess it depends on what you got it for. When I bought mine new it was only about 100.00. Havent priced them lately but I know that are quite a bit more.

Bret

alrighty
03-13-2013, 03:02 PM
I have never tried the piggyback but IIRC it is the same system that I have with my ammomaster.As stated the system must be kept clean or the primer system will bind and cause problems.It can run and run well once you get the hang of it.Although I never had any trouble with it ,I never trusted the powder drop linkage so I swapped it over to a case activated unit.Also the loaded round ejector can be improved from the simple L shaped wire to stronger hand bent looped wire.It can be made from spring steel or tig welding rod.

Catshooter
03-13-2013, 11:17 PM
I've been using one for more than 15 years. I like it. I also use their Ammomaster which is the same unit just growed up for rifles.

Cat

pt4u2nv
03-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Have been using one for prob 15 years also. No problems...keep it if you can use it. Use mine for every thing from .380 to 30-06. I forgot .....I did have trouble with the spring not returning the powder measure rod back to position.

timspawn
03-14-2013, 02:57 PM
I guess I'll give it a try. Worse case is I put it back in the box and sell it.

dragonrider
03-14-2013, 04:31 PM
I had one for a few years and it was a very smooth running. All I loaded with it was 357. But I loaded alot with it. But after a while I stopped using it as I got a Lyman AA and I like using that instead and I needed my Rock Chucker more often so I sold it while back.

mold maker
03-14-2013, 05:42 PM
I've loaded lots of hand gun ammo on mine. Just remember not to short stroke it.

TCFAN
03-14-2013, 10:18 PM
I have one that is auto index. I upgraded to the case activated powder drop. No problems at all using it only for 357 mag. for my marlin. I don't like the primer tube not having a shield of some type on it. Other than that I would like to have another one for the right price............Terry

Randy C
03-14-2013, 10:33 PM
I think all progressive presses have to have the primer slide kept clean I know the first time I let my guard down on my RCBS PRO 2000 it jammed and I took it apart cleaned it and I know better than to let it get dirty. I have a can of air for when I think it needs a little dusting off. If you can use it in manual mode at first it will help you get the feel for what you have to learn to use the press and get the right rhythm. That is what I did on my PRO press.

1bluehorse
03-15-2013, 12:27 AM
I also have a couple of the Ammomaster's, the big brother to the Piggybacks, as has been said change out the "pendulum of death" powder drop for the new case activated linkage. Not sure about the hub-bub with the primer feed, mine have worked pretty much flawlessly. It sits below the expander die so not sure why it would get "dirty" other than room dust...since changing to the new case activated linkage I've not had any issues with "misplaced" powder charges which was a real possibility with the old system (which was also case activated, but sometimes the activator didn't activate when it was supposed to :lol:) ...I think if RCBS had made the Ammomaster Auto the size of the Piggybacks and had the current powder linkage system of today we may never have seen the Pro 2000 [smilie=1:....give the pig a break, try it before you decide. ;-)

timspawn
03-15-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm going to set it up this weekend.

A pause for the COZ
03-15-2013, 04:01 PM
I have had one for a couple years now. It is no different than any other machine. It does some things really really well and some things not so much.
I use mine primarily for 45 ACP , .380's. But I have loaded most other calibers also. It just rocks for 45's.
The primmer system works well when adjusted, at least I have not had a problem.
But what I have found, if like me your willing to decap and prime off the press.
You can put the hammer down when loading. I use a universal decaping die and a APS bench top priming tool. So having a couple thousand ready to load cases is not a problem.

The powder drop system on the Piggy 2 is junk. A double charge or a empty charge is just waiting to happen.
Good part, You can use any other system you want. I upgraded the powder drop to the RCBS case activated linkage, but for 45 acp I found the LEE auto disk pro is the bomb.

I also use a powder check die and I also use a bullet feed die. I use the Dillon 1 inch die rings.
There is not much a Pro 2000 can do that I can not do.
Play around with it, you may like it.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8602.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8191.jpg