PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 223 conversion kits?

Jimmydaux
08-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Anyone have a dillon 550b .223 conversion kit theyd like to part from?

Sundogg1911
08-17-2007, 03:25 PM
i'm using RCBS .223 dies in my Dillon 550b. The one thing that I notice is that for the taller cases (rifle) you should go with a sizing die specifically for a progressive press. I have to go at a slower pace or I crunch a lot of cases because the RCBS sizing die doesn't flair enough at the opening which means they have to be in perfect alignment or they won't go directly into the die. This doesn't happen on short cases because a slight movement at the bottom isn't amplified at the top. I only load "Blasting" ammo for rifle on my Dillons. My hunting ammo is usually done in my rock Chucker. I'm not saying that the Dillons wouldn't work. It's just the way i've always done it. I only use the Dillons for .223 Rem, and 762 x 39 russian rifle. I do load 10 different pistol rounds with my Dillons though (I have a SDB for .45 ACP and 2 Dillon 550b's for the others) I have almost all RCBS Dies, and have found the problem with taller pistol brass too. (.44 mag especially) I eventually plan to swap out sizing dies to Dillon dies for them. :Fire:

Jimmydaux
08-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Hey killer input! I was playing around with some 44-40 pistol ammo and crushed a bunch of brass just like you mentioned. I could see how youd have to be really careful to line the bullet up just right. Do the dillon dies flare more? I really think the only rounds ill reload are 223 and 9mm, but from what im reading the bug seems to spread far beyond initial intentions.