PDA

View Full Version : Cimarron's Plinkerton

oksmle
03-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Any thoughts about Cimarron's Plinkerton .22 LR cal., made by Chiappa Firearms?? I'm considering the purchase of one for my Grandson.

Bulldogger
03-13-2013, 08:59 AM
You get what you pay for. It is cast pot metal with steel liners for the barrel and cylinders. It works, and some folks get decent accuracy out of them. I got one at a gunshow for $80, it was shot out and had never been lubed or cleaned. It has been an interesting learning tool for me to practice home gunsmithing. At some point it might actually hit what I'm aiming at...

It is a matter of cost, certainly, but it you could be patient and search around for a Ruger .22 or some such, I think you will be much happier in the long run.

If you want him to learn to shoot on it, buy a new one and have at it. Even a gently used on will suffice.
If you want HIS grandson to learn to shoot on that same pistol, buy a Ruger, Smith, etc., maybe Taurus if they make one. I have been VERY happy with my ARMSCOR .38 which was VERY cheap. But it's milled steel, and I can feed it to my attacker if the six HPs fly wide. If ARMSCOR make a .22lr training revolver, I'd buy one.

I won't disparage the Plinkerton, since I know some folks here have one, and are quite pleased, but there's no subsitute for quality and a milled, drilled, steel pistol can be repaired, whereas a cast aluminum/zinc steel only in the liners and small trigger parts pistol cannot.

Bulldogger