PDA

View Full Version : French 7.65mm Longue?

Ragnarok
03-13-2013, 12:15 AM
I see just a bit of custom ammo made for the 7.65mm French auto-pistol round...most seem to use .32 S&W Long cases machined to spec.

I have .32 S&W Long cases to play with..does anybody have any experience re-working .32 S&W Long brass into 7.65mm French Long brass??

primersp
03-13-2013, 01:46 AM
i think it's better to go with 30 m1 cases ,32 long are for 8m/m

ANDRE

Cactus Farmer
03-13-2013, 03:38 AM
Turn the rim down and cut an extractor groove. Trim to length. Load with 32 S&W Long dies,no crimp. Load with 32 Auto data. Nice pistol. Hard to shoot well when your worried about loosing the brass you worked so hard to make down a rat hole.

Ragnarok
03-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Turn the rim down and cut an extractor groove. Trim to length. Load with 32 S&W Long dies,no crimp. Load with 32 Auto data. Nice pistol. Hard to shoot well when your worried about loosing the brass you worked so hard to make down a rat hole.

Yeh...I own a Steyr M1912 in 9mm Steyr...pitches empty brass over your head where you can't keep an eye on where it lands!!

Just dredged up this cool French pistol...looks like 7.65mm French long is a dead caliber as far as commercial production...

As far as M1 carbine brass conversion to French pistol..seems you either have to machine the exterior of the base down or swage it down...just as easy to convert S&W Longs...if I can machine the groove...

bob208
03-13-2013, 09:33 AM
it is one dead cartrage. the only other case that it could be made out of is the .30 pederson. good luck finding them. they are collector items. i have 2. they were made for the pederson device that went into the mk1 03 springfield.

45 2.1
03-13-2013, 09:59 AM
The 32 S&W Long case conversion works fine. The only problem is some of those French guns have a very strong extractor spring... if so you will need to lighten it or the extractor will cut a big groove in the rim making them unserviceable in a couple of shots.

primersp
03-13-2013, 10:52 AM
fiocchi made cartridge for it

Cactus Farmer
03-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Copy the exteractor groove in 32 auto, if I remember what I did 30+years ago. They can be converted to shoot 32 auto by sleeving the chamber and a simple mod. to the mag. Again 30 years ago.......

rintinglen
03-13-2013, 11:57 PM
I made some brass from 30 Carbine. It was a heap of work. I drilled a hole in a piece of half inch steel and polished it out to .340. I used a hammer to drive lubed cases through that hole, then cleaned up the rims with a file. The cases were trimmed to length, then reamed with a 5/16th reamer, then loaded with an RCBS 32-84 boolit over a forgotten charge of bullseye. I believe I got the charge from Barnes"s Cartridges of the World.
I spent the best part of a weekend on this project, with only a couple dozen rounds to show for it.
Good luck!

Ragnarok
03-14-2013, 09:05 AM
I think I can drink beer and re-machine .32 S&W brass to French spec...or I could back-order some ammo from Buffalo Arms...which from the picture looks to be custom made stuff at 50 dollars a box...I'm betting it's .32 S&W brass and lead bullets too.

Don't know?...I may do both...order some from Buffalo Arms..and make my own while I wait.

The pistol I have is a SACM Mle 1935 A...the supposed predecessor to the Sig P210(which does look a bit like the French pistol)

340six
09-16-2014, 08:51 PM
So any updates on any conversion? I have Moms old gun it is a 7.65 French Long Dad had 250 loaded rounds from Quality Cartidge it was 32S&W converted cases with Speer FMJ's
They shot well, we shot 25-30 of them and saved the brass.
He put them right back in the box with the unfired rounds. As things would have it, someone stole them. I have just one converted case and 2 fired steel ones from 1950.
A RCBS 7.65 French shell holder and a 32auto set of dies. Oh and a Mihec 32 cal mold I was going to use in this and 7.62x25 Tokarev and size accordingly.
So wondering how everyone did for brass.........Sorry to bring up the old thread but have been reading it a long time and seeing little to no updates

crazy mark
09-16-2014, 11:01 PM
A while back I bought some brass from Buffalo Arms. It is 32 S&W long reworked. I talked to a person who was shooting 32 ACP out of his. Luckily he wasn't having too many issues except for some didn't eject properly. I tried to explain the difference but he said I was full of it and just wanted to buy the pistol cheap. Of course I already have one and about 100 rounds of old ammo. Had more but too many fail to fires. I'm keeping the old stuff for historical reasons.
32 long french. The following are loads I found on the web. Use at your own risk.

3.1 grs Unique, std primer, 86 gr Sierra, weak, would not cycle 1935A slide
3.5 grs Unique, std primer, 86 gr JRN, mild, good function, 2" @ 15' group
3.6 grs Unique, std primer, 86 gr JRN, mild, 2" @ 15' group
3.7 grs Unique, std primer, 86 gr JRN, mid-range, 2" group @ 15'
3.5 grs Unique, SP Mag primer, 86 gr JRN, mild to mid load, 2" @ 15' group

77 grain cast RN bullet, 3.6 of Unique, 1100 fps, 206 foot pounds
86 grain "Mauser" bullet, 2.3 of Bullseye, 1000 fps, 190 foot pounds
100 grain Speer "plinker", 3.1 of Unique, 1030 fps, 235 foot pounds

7.65mm French MAS D 0.309 0.780 0.337 0.336 - 0.337 1.19 6 1935

(30 Carbine) D 0.308 1.290 0.360 0.331 - 0.354 - L 1941

Caliber Case Type BulletDiameter CaseLength RimDiameter NeckDiameter
ShoulderDiameter BaseDiameter TotalLength Primer YearIntroduced

I first tried loading with up to 2.7 gr. Unique and 110 gr. carbine bullets, but ran out of case capacity and got pie plate sized groups at 25 yards for the effort. The groups were centered at 14" above the POA and barely cycled the pistol. This path obviously led nowhere.

I also loaded 71 grain 32 ACP bullets sized to 0.308" with 231, but pressures looked high with poor cycling at the top end. Going nowhere, fast, too.

I bought a 25 round brick of Federal 32 S&W long to cut down and salvage the bullet. I cut the cases down to 0.775" and cut an extractor groove, reloading the cases with 231 and the 98 grain .308" lead bullets. Oh yeah, I was on the right path! 2.8 grains of 231 started cycling the pistol, and 3.4 grains ( as hot as I loaded it) brought the groups down to 6" above POA. All these 5 shot groups shot into about 4" or less. Right bullet, right powder.

I bought a 2 bullet 100 grain Lee mold as the bullet looked to be the right size and profile. The bullets look good from the first cast, but it is hard to get the mold blocks aligned correctly. It was easy for an imperceptable misalignment to make oval shaped bullets measuring .317" instead of the round 0.311. I'll try out these bullets next time at the range.

Depending on results I'll cut the forward grease groove out of the mold.

340six
09-17-2014, 12:06 AM
whats wrong with just trimming down 30 Carbine brass versus cutting down 32 S&W Long and putting an extractor groove as well as getting rid of the rim?
Would it not already have the extractor groove and just need cut down? I have no 30 carbine brass here to see can someone post a picture? thanks

9.3X62AL
09-17-2014, 12:07 AM
About 20+ years ago I took possession of a M1935 French service pistol. It DOES bear a strong resemblance to a SIG P-210 that got shrunk in the wash; it uses a Browning-type toggle link recoil-operated action. I got 2 magazines from TripleK in San Diego soon thereafter, and found an ad in Shotgun News that offered retooled 32 SWL brass for not-a-lot of money. I bought 100 of those. The RCBS caliber-specific shellholder in combination with the 32 ACP and 32 SWL die set completed the tooling.

I combined CCI SP primers--Unique powder from COTW/Barnes data--and Lyman #313249 sized to match the barrel's throat at .313". The little pistol runs rather well, the bullets don't lead the barrel at 1000 FPS, and it "groups" about 4"-5" at 25 yards. Hornady j-words of 85 grains do a little better. Grouping downrange and sight picture aren't closely related, and vary from bullet to bullet and weight to weight. My Walther PP in 32 ACP is a far better, more reliable, and far more accurate pistol. The whole project was one of those "Because it's there" ideas that made far more sense prior to completion than afterward. The Petti pistol design is a good one, and the caliber's ballistics resemble those of the much later 32 H&R Magnum. Sort of a "32 Super Auto". If accuracy could be wrung from the system, it would make a nice woods pistol for small game and varmints. Brass supply problems make you reluctant to shoot the thing anyplace but a range site, though. Another in my cavalcade of weird-caliber firearms.

crazy mark
09-17-2014, 12:18 AM
base dia is .337 on the french and.354 on the 30 carb. rim dia is .337 french and .360 30 carb. Have to swedge it down and do some inside reaming.

whats wrong with just trimming down 30 Carbine brass versus cutting down 32 S&W Long and putting an extractor groove as well as getting rid of the rim?
Would it not already have the extractor groove and just need cut down? I have no 30 carbine brass here to see can someone post a picture? thanks

340six
09-17-2014, 01:33 AM
would like to score a few pieces of Carbine as well as a few of 32S&W long before committing to any to try that with
Just wondering what between the 2 would be the best approach
Thanks got the ideas. Keep in mind my dad passed away and he really liked that gun. He go the quality cartridge product at a large cost to have it right. And had thoughts of reloading with my cast mold from a group buy here . unfortunate turn was someone broke into the 76 year old mans home and stole them. thinking they would fit a gun easy goof luck with that

Si now i have the trash left over to get back up and running with what i have so far thanks guys