PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Yugo?

brotherdarrell
03-12-2013, 09:18 PM
I got talked into this one today

Trying to find out exactly which one I got.

I slugged the barrel and it was interesting; four lands and grooves, and the grooves are almost flat bottomed. If I mic the center I get @ .3248" and on the edges I get @ .3265". I slugged it twice with a .350" round ball and once started I pushed it through, no hammer required. Near as I can tell the bore is just under .311". Seems like a perfect PP candidate to me.

I got 30 rounds in clips but no brass so I have no idea what the chamber looks like.

Over all it seems in ok condition but one thing that irks me a little is the lack of a sling. It seems to me that for $175 I outa get a sling with it.[smilie=1: Fortunately it did come with a really nice steel cleaning rod. That should come in handy!!!

Darrell

ps - I am actually tickled as can be and the last paragraph is my feeble attempt at humor. I am actually much funnier in person.......really!!!

pss - all numbers match.:-D

junkbug
03-12-2013, 09:42 PM
M-48 Yugoslavian Mauser.

Congradulations.

P.K.
03-12-2013, 10:43 PM
That's a beaut!

Kraschenbirn
03-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Yup...definitely an M48! Three weeks ago, I acquired its one of its younger brothers...my S/N's in the 85,000s. Dunno 'bout yours, but mine didn't appear to have been fired after it was refinished. When I got it home, after I slugged the bore (.3235-.3240), I ran a patch soaked in Sweet's 7.62 to check for copper fouling and, except for a bit of carbon(?), the patch came out clean. Took it to the range, tried the CB loads I shoot in my M38 Turk, and after a few shots to get the POI on the paper, got a couple 1"-1 1/14" 5-shot groups @ 50M. Switched to 100M and had no trouble keeping my shots on a 6" paper plate.

Bill

brotherdarrell
03-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Well, the ser# is 51,xxx. Don't know what that amounts too as I have never collected military rifles. Kinda curious what the history is on these rifles.

Of course the main question is will any molds drop boolits in the .327"-328" range? I doubt if I will ever shoot jacketed from this rifle.

As I like to know as much about the firearms I own I will gladly accept all the education I can get.

Darrell

Dutchman
03-13-2013, 12:44 AM
Stock is elm, btw.

Dutch

sav300
03-13-2013, 06:36 AM
Brotherdarrell,that would cost you on a average of $800 here and that is without a sling !
(usedguns.com.au)

Combat Diver
03-13-2013, 07:04 AM
Very clean looking, congrats. Any crest on the reciever bridge? I've had a M48 BO (without markings) for a long time. Still haven't casted for however.

CD

Argentino
03-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Brotherdarrell,that would cost you on a average of $800 here and that is without a sling !
(usedguns.com.au)

Well thatīs even cheaper than here...one like the posted above will go for no less than 1200$.

Congrats to brotherdarrell

brotherdarrell
03-13-2013, 06:45 PM
After getting a look in the light of day it appears to be a m48a. Don't know what that means but that is what it is

I also got a piece of brass to do a chamber slug. I feel a lot better now, this rifle was checking out too good.

Throat? Who needs a throat? Well, it sorta has a throat, kinda. Instead of being .3265" like the barrel it is a hair over .327", but only one hair. The rifling is not full depth at the start, maybe by half. And the answer to the next suggestion is "no" due to the fact that my smith does not have the tooling to throat it. I do live in a 3rd world state after all.

So there it is, another typical gun for me. Like all the rest I will come up with a way to deal with it.

Thanks to all.

Darrell

junkbug
03-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Some people snivel and complain that they cannot get a bullet (or boolit) seated out far enough to touch the rifling without making the cartridge too long to fit in the magazine. It does not appear that you will have that problem.

brotherdarrell
03-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Some people snivel and complain that they cannot get a bullet (or boolit) seated out far enough to touch the rifling without making the cartridge too long to fit in the magazine. It does not appear that you will have that problem.

Yup, and if I can now find a 90 gr. boolit I will be good to go.:-D

Combat Diver
03-14-2013, 02:56 AM
There are three main versions of the M48.

M48: 1950-1952- The initial version of the M48, with full crest and all machined steel parts.

M48A: 1952-1956- Inclusion of stamped parts. the M48A used sheet metal stampings for the magazine floor plate. These changes sped production while lowering cost. The critical bolt and receiver which contain the pressure of the burning propellant within the cartridge case retained the same material requirements and design tolerances (i.e. were machined from forged steel) in the A and B variations.

M48B: 1956-1965- Additional sheet metal stampings incorporated. The most critical factor to understand about this model is that it continued to be stamped on the receiver ring M48A. There was no change in markings. The specific changes in parts is unverified but include stamped barrel and H-bands and the magazine spring follower. The most significant change and external appearance whereby the M48B may be identified is the trigger guard. Whereas previously, the trigger guard/mag well were machined from a solid billet of steel, it was changed to an assembly fabricated from stamped parts. The new trigger guard has a rib running around the exterior of both sides. While the exact number of changes made to this model have not been specified, the impact on production in 1956 were extensive and drastically reduced the number produced that year. There was a specific reason for this. From 1956 on, all M48 production was intended solely for export.

M48BO:1956-1965*- The "bo" stands for "bez oznake" and translates roughly as "unmarked" or "without markings." These were identical to and manufactured concurrent with the crested M48B but were not stamped with any national or manufacturer's markings.

M48/63 Zastava Arms currently (2011) manufactures the M48/63 sporting rifle which is a short barreled variant of the Model 1948 rifle

Also
http://www.surplusrifle.com/yugom48/index.asp

CD

TheGrimReaper
03-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Very Nice Indeed!!!

brotherdarrell
03-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Combat Diver - first of all thank you for your information, it helped a lot. Based on the guidelines you laid out I will say it is a M48B due to the trigger guard being exactly as you described.

I would really like to get the stock off and get a look underneath to clean but the bands holding it on will not budge. I can see where someone has tried to pry a little to no avail. I figure about a month with the humidity in the low teens should shrink the stock enough to try again.

Other than the throat, or lack thereof, I am very pleased. The bore is smooth and shinny and the trigger is more than acceptable as is. I would say it is around 4lbs. and fairly crisp with little or no creep. I just need to hunt down a mold that will drop around .327" and I will be set.

Thanks again

Darrell

runfiverun
03-15-2013, 11:07 PM
lee makes one for the 8x56 and the 8mm lebel
I remember it making about 314 ish on the nose and about 330 on the body.
I sent it along [a pif thing] as I only needed 324.
and now wish I had kept it for the lebel rifle I have.
i'd check noe though I had them cut me a 140 gr boolit which shoots alright
almost as good as the ideal mold I have for the 32 Winchester.

khmer6
03-16-2013, 01:31 AM
That is a fine looking yugo! I picked mine up last year for about 50 bucks. Bore is beautiful. Bolt works like butter. If I remember correctly mine slugged at 324 :confused: