PDA

View Full Version : Rex Powders

GP100man
08-16-2007, 10:28 PM
powder valley is going to have some no. II powder in 2 weeks & i was thinking of ordering some but i want to order enuff to sort of blend out the haz mat fee !!!
does any body use rex powders ?? any input is appreciated!!!
ive already searched several forums & input is scarce !!
on one forum i found one thread that said it was sorta like reddot & dirty???

:cbpour:

GP100man

Doughty
08-17-2007, 11:12 AM
GP100man,

Rex 2 is my favorite powder in .45 Colt. I use 7.2 grains under 255 grain bullets, for standard loads. My friend uses a little more for "magnum" loads. Besides liking how it shoots, it works good in my progessive loader. Then to top it off, the price is real good. I got it for $20.00 a can, which are 2.2 lbs I think. I think it would work good for reduced power rifle loads. Given time, I intend to find out.

GP100man
08-18-2007, 09:08 PM
thanks old vic
seems that pistol shooters are scarce that shoot rex powders ,& published data is too !!!
i was planning to load 357 & 44 mag with it &
they have data publish on 38+p but mothing on 44 mag.
jeff has got the 4759 clone & will get it to my door for $13.07 # & i have data on it so im leaning towards it .

GP100man

scrapcan
08-18-2007, 10:26 PM
I have been shooting rex powder in the shotgun for about 5 years. Shot a bunch of it. It shoost well in 12 ga trap loads. It is not any dirtier than the old red dot. I have tried it in handgun and cast rifle loads, just not enough to report anything good. It was reasonable when used like the cast bullet load that you would load up using red dot. You have to load by weight becasue bulk density is somewhat different than red dot, i.e. cannot use the same bushings or Powder measrue settings. But we should always check our weight measures anyway right?

bradh
08-21-2007, 09:11 AM
I see powder valley is currently sold out of 2.2 pound REX II. Where is this
powder made?

GP100man
08-21-2007, 12:56 PM
brad
if interested give them a call, there supposed to be some coming in this week.
if memory serves i think in my research i found its made in hungary.
powder valley phone# 1-800- 227-4299 , but dont ask about the data all they know is on the site , just click on the dinosaur.

GP100man

Single Shot
08-23-2007, 08:40 PM
ANOTHER SOURCE OF REX POWDER

http://www.grafs.com/page/about

But they are out of Rex 2. It is made in Hungary.

This site has Rex 2 in stock http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=3838&cat=1093&page=1

smokemjoe
08-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Would like to try some in the 9MM, Anyone tryed that yet. Been going to pick some up at Grafts on the way down to the Lakes of the Ozarks, but alway out, Thanks

nelsonted1
09-07-2007, 12:43 AM
Rex powder webpage

http://www.rexpowder.com/

has a small amt of data on the following:

9mm, 38super, 38 sp, 40 and 45 acp

========================================

American Handgunner > March-April, 2002

The T-Rex of powder - Hand Loading
Charles E. Petty

There was a time when smokelss powder was a virtually negligible cost of handgun reloading. That was back when you could buy Bullseye for $2 or $3 a pound. Today, powders can be $20 or more, so anything that can improve the economy of reloading is worth investigation.

That brings us to Rex powders distributed by Graf & Sons. The powder has a suggested retail price of $22.95, but the packaging is in the European style of kilograms. That, for metrically challenged Americans, is 2.2 lbs. That amounts to a big savings.

Rex powders are made in Hungary by Nitrochemia and illustrate yet another point. We tend to think only in terms of our U.S-made powders, but the simple fact is that there are gunpowder plants all over the world and only two left in the U.S.. A lot of the powder we use is imported, so this really isn't a big deal.

The Rex powders are primarily for shotguns, but we all know that scattergun propellant can often be useful for handgun loading as well. Shotgun powders tend to be pretty fast burning which usually is just fine for all but the heaviest magnum handgun loads.

There are four Rex powders simply identified by numbers: 0, 1, 2, and 3. Graf identifies them as similar to the following better known powders:

Rex 0 is similar to Bullseye and WW 231.

Rex 1 is similar to Red Dot and Clays.

Rex 2 is similar to Green Dot and International.

Rex 3 is similar to Universal.

Now this does not mean that we can use data for those powders to load with Rex powders. We surely cannot. But it does suggest that these powders can cover lots of bases for the American handgunner.

COPYRIGHT 2002 Publishers' Development Corporation

GP100man
09-12-2007, 10:37 PM
well fellas ive done the math & i bought hp-38 at our bass pro shop for $19.99 /lb. & ill break even as per cost liter charge & higher price verses cheaper powder & hazmat ,shipping on the 4759 plus maybe neg. feed back on metering hang ups.
now as far as rex goes ,when my head quits hurting (i hate math ,but like counting money) ill run the rex # 2 across the calculator & see if it adds up.

GP100man

:cbpour:

waksupi
09-13-2007, 08:05 AM
I've got three pounds of Rex 3. Anyone got a suggestion for pistol loads? .38, .44, .45.

45 2.1
09-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Rex-2 is a good powder. A friend and I split a 25 lb. bulk packaged box. Price was $244 delivered for the 25 lb. which works out to $9.76 per pound delivered in hand. Makes really good plinking and target loads in the 30 caliber rifles.

felix
09-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Rex 3 appears to be close to Unique from a previous posting, Ric. Worth a chance? I'd say yes, if you can live with some load adjustments. ... felix

dustinfamily
10-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one a bit frustrated by the lack of load data on Rex 2. Dad shoots Rex 1 for trap loads and gave me 8 lbs of rex 2. Glad to see a long colt load 7.2 for 255 I'll try that one.
Thanks,
Mark

Lloyd Smale
10-13-2007, 06:56 AM
id be careful with those recomendations. For one redot and clays are both faster burning then 231. If you were to use the same load data for bullseye and 231 youd get in a heap of trouble fast!! And the way i read it 1 is faster then 0. I think mr. Petty needs to ajust his recomendations a tad.
Rex powder webpage

http://www.rexpowder.com/

has a small amt of data on the following:

9mm, 38super, 38 sp, 40 and 45 acp

========================================

American Handgunner > March-April, 2002

The T-Rex of powder - Hand Loading
Charles E. Petty

There was a time when smokelss powder was a virtually negligible cost of handgun reloading. That was back when you could buy Bullseye for $2 or $3 a pound. Today, powders can be $20 or more, so anything that can improve the economy of reloading is worth investigation.

That brings us to Rex powders distributed by Graf & Sons. The powder has a suggested retail price of $22.95, but the packaging is in the European style of kilograms. That, for metrically challenged Americans, is 2.2 lbs. That amounts to a big savings.

Rex powders are made in Hungary by Nitrochemia and illustrate yet another point. We tend to think only in terms of our U.S-made powders, but the simple fact is that there are gunpowder plants all over the world and only two left in the U.S.. A lot of the powder we use is imported, so this really isn't a big deal.

The Rex powders are primarily for shotguns, but we all know that scattergun propellant can often be useful for handgun loading as well. Shotgun powders tend to be pretty fast burning which usually is just fine for all but the heaviest magnum handgun loads.

There are four Rex powders simply identified by numbers: 0, 1, 2, and 3. Graf identifies them as similar to the following better known powders:

Rex 0 is similar to Bullseye and WW 231.

Rex 1 is similar to Red Dot and Clays.

Rex 2 is similar to Green Dot and International.

Rex 3 is similar to Universal.

Now this does not mean that we can use data for those powders to load with Rex powders. We surely cannot. But it does suggest that these powders can cover lots of bases for the American handgunner.

COPYRIGHT 2002 Publishers' Development Corporation

trooperdan
10-13-2007, 06:20 PM
GP100Man, if you decide to order some powder I might piggy-back on your order and help soften the haz mat charge for both of us. I am near Southern Pines, should be kind close to you!