PDA

View Full Version : XD vrs Glock

KCSO
08-16-2007, 10:18 PM
On another thread i said that the XD is the gun Glock should be and I thought this deserved a thread of its's own. I am not a fan of any plastic gun but since I have to use and teach them I try and keep up. Now if you have an altercation the Glock will get the job done, but I do think the XD has several advantages on the Glock:
The XD has a conventionally rifled barrel and a fully supported chamber. You can shoot lead alloys from wheel weight to super hard with no problem and in 357 Sig and 40 S and W you can reload your cases. Glocks in these calibers stress the brass a whole lot and when I sort I trash the Glocked brass. I have never heard of a KABOOM from an XD, if anyone has and can verify it I would like to know.

The XD comes with STEEL sights and a steel guide rod, these are the two most often replaced Glock parts.

The XD has an ambi safety for the rookie lefties. I have used my trigger finger lefty for so long I don't much want an ambi.

The XD slide is locked by the grip safety and will not push back in a fast reholster.

The XD HAS a grip safety, I only wish it had a thumb safety too.

To most of the rookies I have on the line the XD is a more natural pointing pistol. The Glocks take some getting use to for a lot of folks.

The XD has a somewhat better trigger pull and can be set to 4# crisp by a good gunsmith. The Glock trigger was designed for the lowest common denominator and even then some agencies are still not happy. All the XD's I have had pull between 4.5 and 5.8 pounds and have a defined let off point.

The biggest down side to the XD right now is in the acessories field and the factory parts. SA is just now releasing parts to dealers. I have noticed that wiht either the Glock or the XD you need to drop the slide from lock rather than hand chambering for the best accuracy, either one will throw the first round off an inch or so if you run it up by hand.

And I see that I am not the only one who is leary of plastic as Brownell's is now selling a cast STAINLESS STEEL frame for Glocks.

If I have to carry and shoot a Gock I do, but I don't like it. If I have a choice between the Glock and the XD I go with the XD and if I can carry what I want I pack a 1911.

singleshotbuff
08-16-2007, 10:37 PM
+1 on the XD, best plastic fighting handgun available IMHO.

Trigger pull is decent out of the box, much more managable for me than a Glock.

Points more naturally for me than a Glock.

XD comes with steel mags, VS plastic glock mags, if this matters to you.

Not to knock glock, it's a helluva good handgun and is street proven. I just prefer the XD.

I want an XD 45 acp tactical next.

SSB

txpete
08-18-2007, 08:22 PM
I bought a XD-9 several years ago.excellent pistol and it is a shooter.the wife scarfed it up quick:-D .
I am down to 2 9mm pistols now.a cz75 pre-B non import and the XD.both fine pistols and "both" like cast bullets.
pete

KCSO
08-18-2007, 10:46 PM
I came off range yesterday with a fellow instructor who is a Glock man. He tried the XD and said it sloped too much and didn't feel solid in his hand. But he is most comfortable wiht a Glock 21 so i guess it depends on what you like. But I did beat him!!! As one of my rookies said when I showed up wit my wheel gun, "Gee your gun is older than I am".

ReAX222
08-19-2007, 12:32 AM
I can't keep anything stock, so my 22 has a lot of mods, including an aftermarket barrel. If stock barrels were great, why are there so many companies making replacement? Glock or other wise.

It took a little time, but I do prefer the simplicity of glock. I don't use safeties on any gun, they are a bad habit. The glock goes boom when you pull the trigger, no other devices to change.

I also think the glocks look cleaner/smoother. It's all personal preference, there is no Best.

KCSO
08-19-2007, 09:12 PM
This is why most PD's prefer the glock types. You don't have a lot to teach and pull it from the holster and pull the trigger is hard for a rookie to forget.

ANeat
08-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Ive had several Glocks and XD's in various calibers. Both are fine weapons in my opinion. If you must; pick one and learn how to shoot it well. If you have the luxury, get both and decide for yourself. Be happy we have such a selection of fine weapons to choose from. :Fire:

My only complaint about the XD was the complex disassembly compared to other guns. 1911's are great in that respect as are Glocks.

danski26
08-20-2007, 01:04 AM
ReAX222 "I don't use safeties on any gun, they are a bad habit."

Hmmmm?

C A Plater
08-20-2007, 02:48 AM
I've had a Glock 23 .40 caliber and it worked flawlessly but the grip just never felt right to me so I sold it off. I now have 2 XDs, the 5" 9mm with for a "sport" pistol and the XD-45. For my hand the grip feels better an points more naturally. Both function perfectly to date and the only after market parts I've installed were sights. Adjustable set for the 9 and a XS express night sight on the .45. I replaced the .40 with a Sig-229 because of the near perfect hand fit and pointing. My favorite shooting auto is still the 1911 though.

MGD
08-20-2007, 07:58 PM
The XD is a good pistol. It was designed ten years after the Glock so they were able to put some user feedback into the design. Look at the Smith M&P it was designed ten years after the XD and finally Smith has a decent semi-auto.

KSCowboy
08-22-2007, 03:22 PM
I have test drove a few Glocks and they don't fit me right as the trigger pull is too long for me. The first XD I tried when they came out seemed just right. But I didn't want a 9 or 40. So when the 45 came out I was excited to test it out. It was very good but the grip seemed longer than I liked. Then came the 45 Compact, yaahooo! This is just what I wanted. So I saved up and bought one. The XD45 Compact is great for me. I can't believe how accurate the thing is it shoots about anything I load up for it and all with the same accuracy. That said SWC bullets don't work in them, period. A few guys have gotten SWCs to work but they are the exception. It is the first and only polymer, double action type, pistol I have ever owned and I really love it.

Check out XDtalk.com.

9.3X62AL
08-22-2007, 03:46 PM
This is one of the more educational threads of recent origin. Thanks to all for sharing your views on this subject. MUCH can be learned when these "Ford/Chevy" discussions stay civil and informative, rather than confrontive and noisy.

Lloyd Smale
08-22-2007, 04:11 PM
im not a fan of black guns more of a 1911 kind of guy but if i had to choose a black gun it wouldnt be either. 'It would be a H&k first followed closely by a sig. The few guys ive seen shooting xps have had alot of trouble with cast handloads and the glocks just arent made for them. The sigs and h&ks ive shot have ran like a watch.

handyrandyrc
08-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Here is one thing to consider on XD disassembly vs. GLOCK:

On an XD, you must rack the slide to locked open position, in order to flip up the lever used for disassembly. Then release the slide, pull the trigger and the slide comes off.

On a GLOCK, you simply pull the slide back a fraction of an inch, pull down the release "tab", pull the trigger, and the slide comes off.

The XD _FORCES_ you to completely rack the slide back and therefore extract something that may be in the chamber. A person should ALWAYS check this stuff anyhow, but I've seen some pictures of a couple of guys who disassembled their GLOCK and put a hole in their hand. "I've done this a million times in the last 10 or 15 years, and forgot to check the chamber." An XD forces you to check the chamber before disassembling.

I have had both XD and GLOCK models.

But I CAN disassemble and re-assemble a GLOCK much faster than I can an XD.

kellyj00
10-03-2007, 06:02 PM
I have a 4" XD 9mm, and I love it. I shoot commercially cast bullets through it all the time, no problems at all.

springfield took all the good stuff out of the Sig (except the decocker) and the good stuff from the glock (trigger safety) and the good stuff from the 1911 (thinner profile, dovetail safety) and added in a loaded chamber indicator and a cocked indicator that you can FEEL in a low light condition.

I still want to sell my XD 9mm now and get another 1911.

Ken O
10-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Its more than just a Chevy/Ford thing. I have a 5" Tactical XD45, a Glock 21, Springfield 1911, and a S&W 625. So the order I shoot the .45s from most to lest would be....
The wheelgun the most, the moon clips reload fast, I dont have to chase brass. Although the trigger is much harder than the autos.
Next is the 1911, it just "feels" right, trigger is the best, you just can't get that with a striker.
Next is the XD45, it point real well, trigger is real nice
Then the Glock, it just doesn't like cast bullets, I get keyholeing of the target, failer to go into battery. With jacketed bullets it funtions flawlessly. The trigger is horrible, I need to get an aftermarket or get this one smithed. I've had it over 20 years and just don't shoot it much, I did shoot it quite a bit for a while in ISPC matches. I guess the main problem is I don't want to buy jacketed bullets.

JMax
10-05-2007, 02:26 PM
The XD has been out for a while but we don't see many shooters campaiging them in high speed matches by middle to top level shooters. One also does not see Ruger P series in those same high speed shooting diciplines including IPSC, Bianchi cup or NRA action pistol, IDPA, the Steel Challenge and in the past . I believe that is not because of availability of accessories but due in part to the design and relationship of the bore axis to the grip. Glock and 1911 pattern pistols have a lower axis of recoil and allow for quicker recoil recovery that do the others. Other than that they are fine pistols that fit many individuals shooting needs.

I am sure that flaming will begin but I have shot them all, still shoot the Steel Challenge and am a reasonable observer.

45nut
11-21-2007, 02:32 PM
For those shooting a XD-45 or 40 Gilberts Guns is running a special right now.

http://www.gilbertsguns.com/productimages/004002.medium.jpg

3 magazines,,a hard case and a double mag carrier for 54.00 shipped.

http://www.gilbertsguns.com/Clips-Magazines/Springfield+XD+Kits/Springfield+XD+Kit+45+Cal+3+Mags-Pouch-Case

KCSO
11-21-2007, 03:05 PM
The bigest problem with the XD is a lack of good holsters. I am still waiting on a special order holster for my XD 40. It didn't help that S/A tried to close off the parts for the guns either.

45nut
11-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Springfield has opened up a lot more of the parts lately. The holster options are getting better and better also.

The mags for the .45acp are offered elsewhere from 25-35 bucks each, 3 for 54= 18 bucks each plus the free case and mag holder. Pretty good deal they have there.
Gilberts also has other specials running.

truckmsl
11-21-2007, 03:39 PM
I've shot over 35K rounds through my glock 23 and absolutely love it. I'm currently using a Lone Wolf barrel with my own cast bullets. Wouldn't trade it for anything - absolutely reliable.