PDA

View Full Version : 30 Cal. Loads

smokemjoe
08-16-2007, 09:02 PM
I have just about got done my 35 th. rifle, This one is 30 Cal. 1-48 twist, Mark de hass Barrel, What would be a good load with 3 fff dupont powder, .298 ball. Thanks- Joe

Rattus58
08-17-2007, 04:25 AM
I'd start with 20 grains and work up from there.

Aloha... :drinks: 8-)

madcaster
08-19-2007, 03:02 PM
I am in agreement with Rattus58,that is a good load.

RBak
08-24-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm not familiar with Dupont Black Powder, But I would be a bit inclined to suggest a starting load of 15gr Goex FFFg, and working your way up from there.....either way, I would certainly like to hear more about this .30 cal as you go along.

The lowly little .32 provides about all the fun I can stand at any one outing...a grossly under estimated little BP firearm....and, I suspect, a .30 cal would just be more of the same.

Throw out an up-date every once-in-awhile, once it's up and running.

Respectfully, Russ...

Junior1942
08-24-2007, 03:01 PM
+1 on what RussB said.

floodgate
08-24-2007, 08:35 PM
RussB;

The Old DuPont BP line was handed over to GOEX many years back, so it is basically the same stuff - but there have been substantial variations over the years from batch to batch, and GOEX has recently introduced some variants like their "Express". I still have a pound or two of the old DuPont stuff; I need to get some current GOEX to compare it with.

floodgate

madcaster
08-24-2007, 08:45 PM
This thread needs a link to pictures!!!

RBak
08-24-2007, 09:08 PM
RussB;

The Old DuPont BP line was handed over to GOEX many years back, so it is basically the same stuff - but there have been substantial variations over the years from batch to batch, and GOEX has recently introduced some variants like their "Express". I still have a pound or two of the old DuPont stuff; I need to get some current GOEX to compare it with.

floodgate

Thank you Sir.........That's good to know.
I was TOTALY unaware that Goex and Dupont were, at one time, one and the same. :???:

I havent shot "Express", but I have shot a bunch of 'Cartridge'.... which amounts to something between FFg and FFFg.
This Express Powder, or Swiss, may be something better suited for this little .30 cal smokemjoe is working on.

Perhaps others more knowledgeable will help him on this.

Respectfully, Russ...

fiberoptik
09-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Anywhere from 7 or 8 grains up to maybe 30ish. At low end you're doing about .22 lr. velocity with a long barrel, up to maybe 2000fps. I know of a guy in western Mich who uses Elephant in a .32, I use Pyro P, Goex 3F, or Cleanshot (once I get it out again and see how it works.) Swiss should work really well, as should that new stuff that's 2x as expensive as BP. Try whatever's available to ya.:Fire:

fiberoptik
09-08-2007, 06:27 PM
What's the length of barrel? Pix??