PDA

View Full Version : whats with the brass

KinkBreaker
03-12-2013, 11:02 AM
on the left are cleaned up after black powder, on the right after smokeless
did i do something wrong?

nhrifle
03-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Nope, that's what happens. Give em a good tumble and you will be happy.

cajun shooter
03-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Did you use Lemi-Shine by chance?

KinkBreaker
03-12-2013, 11:52 AM
got home from the range and dropped the casings into a jar of soap water while i cleaned the rifle and had a cig and all that. so a few hours i guess. then set them out to dry. later that evening deprimed and put in the tumbler and there they are

fouronesix
03-12-2013, 11:54 AM
They look textbook normal to me.

KinkBreaker
03-12-2013, 11:56 AM
i guess its cool then that im not messin anything up. i was gonna be like dont put palmolive dishsoap on the brass it screws it all up

dagger dog
03-12-2013, 04:51 PM
They get prettier if you don't tumble,the nickel plated look even better.

I put a couple capfulls of Palmolive in a large plastic coffee container 3/4 full of water and set it under my stool, as soon as I pick it out of the chamber I drop it in the container, when I get ready to go I put the container in the back of the truck,by the time I get home they are good and clean, I rinse in warm water and deprime by hand, set 'em out to dry.

Don McDowell
03-12-2013, 06:06 PM
I'ld say you didn't have enough polish in your tumbler media. The cases should come out looking like almost brand new. Also don't forget to rinse the cases in clear water after they come out of the detergent water.

Seth Hawkins
03-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Like Don said, that's how they look coming out of clean water. If you run them thru a tumbler with, say, ceramic media and some sort of polishing solution (I use a burnishing compound) they will come out looking brand new - the appropriate "brass" color you're looking for. If you just use water and some dish soap to clean them they'll look like yours. There's nothing wrong with using just water and dish soap. That's all I used for years when all I was doin' was CAS shootin'. Once I started BPCR shootin' I got a tumbler and ceramic media and the rest of it to clean my rifle brass. It cleans not only the outside, but the inside, too. Now that I have the kit, I use it to clean all of my brass - CAS & BPCR. Nothin' shoots better than clean, shiny brass.