PDA

View Full Version : Loading boolit into shoulder area of case. OK or Not?

dblduel
03-11-2013, 08:14 PM
I was steered to this website and this forum seems the best place to ask the question. The dilemia: A Cimaaron 1876 replica in 45-75WCF that has the chamber cut with the shoulder moved forward thus producing a shorter neck than current examples. I do not want to change the chamber as it allows a larger volume of gun (not nitro) powder. I want to use boolits in the 320 to 350 grain range, but none I have found so far will allow for the suggested overall cartridge length of 2.225 inches without the bullet base being seated past the neck's base and into the shoulder area. If I seat the boolit out to not go into the shoulder the OAL is then compromised. The question: How far, if at all, should I seat the bullet into the shoulder? And if I do, what are the consequences?

Thanks in advance
dblduel

Don McDowell
03-11-2013, 08:32 PM
The worst that might happen is the base of the bullet will get severe gas cutting and the accuracy won't be near as spectacular as the leading in the throat.

MikeS
03-12-2013, 02:38 AM
First off, remember that the OAL is a suggestion, not cast in stone. That's a lever action repeater, right? Then I would find the longest length that will still feed properly, and then load to that length even if it's longer than the recommended loading length. This will either limit how much boolit is in the shoulder area, or possibly eliminate it.

dblduel
03-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Don McDowell, I have not experienced leading as yet, but that does not mean I will not. I load 72 grains of 2f with a .030 wad and that may contribute to my luck so far. I have yet to recover a bullet to be able to check the base, but I will work on that.

MikeS, Yes, the rifle is a lever gun. You have reminded me of a rule that I should have recalled. That rule is that max OAL is goverened by length of the opening for the carrier as viewed from the bottom of the rifle. That space measured at 2.320 inches and in my case that may mean up to an additional .090 inch to seat the bullet out.

Thanks Gents for the help. It's off to the loading bench to load up some dummies for expermenting.
dblduel

Don McDowell
03-12-2013, 01:16 PM
I'ld say that if you aren't getting leading and the accuracy is good, there's nothing broken so not to worry about trying to fix it.

.22-10-45
03-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Hello, dblduel. The only thing I would be concerned with was the chance of the blackpowder charge slugging up or "riveting" the bullet base larger than case neck I.D. & having then to squeeze back down to go thru?

Yellowhouse
03-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Um, for sure you don't want an over the powder wad past the neck. You didn't mention using one but thought i'd throw that in.