PDA

View Full Version : lee dies

greg gremlin
03-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Gentlemen; anyone else having trouble with lee dies that do not resize corectly. Several Lee calibers sucked.[smilie=b: 30-30, 45 colt and one other. Problems disappeared when I used rcbs, Hornady. thanks for letting me vent, greg

Wal'
03-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Never had problems with my Lee Dies, do the same job as my RCBS, Hornady,Redding dies, have at least a dozen Lee calibres.

Cane_man
03-11-2013, 09:53 PM
lots of variance in sizes with Lee... it all went away when I switched to Redding and Forrster

cutter_spc
03-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Never had any problems with their pistol dies, but the newer rifle sizing dies suck. For some reason they all have rough, and I mean rough necks and shoulders.

Shakey Jakey
03-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Lee makes some great stuff. Their percentage of good stuff is probably no worse than any others.

slim1836
03-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Issues may also be with the alloy you are using, I believe Lee sizes per 20:1 alloy, but correct me if i'm wrong.

Slim

VHoward
03-11-2013, 11:26 PM
I'm not sure the OP is talking about bullet sizing dies. It sounds to me like he means the case sizing dies. I haven't had any problems with the ones I used. 9mm, 357 mag, and 223.

Recluse
03-12-2013, 12:00 AM
The last set of Lee dies I bought was three or four years ago and were for 45 Colt. Zero problems with them.

I have a number of Lee dies as well as RCBS and Hornady dies. As of recent, I'm really liking Hornady's new dies a lot. I've always like Redding and Forrester as well.

Biggest gripe I have with Lee (dies) is their short length can sometimes present a challenge with other than Lee presses. For that reason alone, I've quit buying them.

:coffee:

nhrifle
03-12-2013, 12:19 AM
I might be one of the lucky ones but I have never had a problem with their dies. The only problem dies I have had have come from RCBS.

BAMB
03-12-2013, 02:28 PM
I have had better luck with Lee dies than with Redding, RCBS, or Lyman. They have resized cases and seated bullets more consistently than any others for less money. Lee is all I buy now.

TheCelt
03-12-2013, 02:36 PM
I have Lee dies in 38/357, 45ACP, 45 Colt, 223, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 338 WinMag, 38-55, and 45-70, never had a lick of trouble with any of em.

Love Life
03-12-2013, 03:04 PM
I've never had issues with Lee dies. I love their collet neck sizers. I use those along with a Redding body die and all is right with the world.

GT1
03-12-2013, 04:53 PM
I own eight sets of Lee dies. They all do what they are supposed to do. I see no reason to ever buy any other brand. I have no issues with the die body lengths, they fit in my Dillon 650 with plenty of thread for lock rings(I guess it was an issue years ago).

Hogdaddy
03-12-2013, 05:31 PM
I use Lee dies in hangun cal only.. Narry a problem with em ; )
H/D

Moonie
03-13-2013, 11:55 AM
I have a fairly new set of 45 Colt dies, no issues at all, what seems to be the problem you are experiencing?

joec
03-13-2013, 12:28 PM
I have a two year old set of 45 Colt I use with a collet FCD like a rifle. I have recently bought (last year) some 45 ACP and 9mm both 4 die sets as well as some 45-70 Gov steel 3 die set and a collet FCD. I've used them without any problems at all. They work perfectly as any die should. I do own some RCBS Cowboy dies in 45-70 Gov. that I have never used that someone gave to me and the RCBS Cowboy die set for MagTech Brass shot shells that I do load Black Powder brass shells with..

Bullet Caster
03-13-2013, 01:36 PM
I've never had any problems with Lee dies. They do what they're supposed to do and they make some pretty ammo. I use Lee dies on a Lee press so I guess I'm doing it right. My problem lies in that I don't trust the Lee Imperfect Powder Measure. I weigh every charge after dropping the powder into the case. I've loaded over 2000 rounds with that powder measure and it should be broke in by now. I simply do not trust it to throw the same charge twice in a row. So I cautiously weigh every charge. It takes me a long time to reload 1000 rounds weighing each and every charge but then I guess I err to caution. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I do not use Lee FCD on pistol ammunition. I've heard about too many problems using the Lee Factory Crimp Die on pistol ammo. I do, however, use them on rifle ammo with great success. My 2 cents worth. BC

Norbrat
03-13-2013, 05:47 PM
My problem lies in that I don't trust the Lee Imperfect Powder Measure. I weigh every charge after dropping the powder into the case. I've loaded over 2000 rounds with that powder measure and it should be broke in by now. I simply do not trust it to throw the same charge twice in a row.

I've had good results with the Lee powder measure. I bought one when they first became available here in Oz and immediately sold my CH measure for twice what I paid for the Lee!

I've advised a few folks wanting to get into reloading to get a Lee anniversary kit to get started, and no-one has ever complained about the gear.

Last Saturday I showed a new chum how to reload using his new Lee kit. Rather than run a pound or so of powder through the measure to get some graphite onto the moving parts, I dismantled it and wiped some powdered graphite onto the relevant parts. Initially, it did throw a bit inconsistently, which I tracked down to some granules of powder hanging up in the aluminium volume chamber. It seemed to be due to static, but after I wiped some graphite powder into that area, it dropped every charge within 0.1 gns.

This is using extruded stick powder, ADI 2206H (sold as IMR/H4895) so YMMV if you use other types of powder.

1hole
03-13-2013, 06:16 PM
"My problem lies in that I don't trust the Lee Imperfect Powder Measure."

Nothing is perfect but Lee's PPM measure just may be the most consisitant measure on the market, especially so for coarse tubular rifle powders. Anyone denying that simply has little experience with others.

Recluse
03-13-2013, 07:49 PM
I've never had issues with Lee dies. I love their collet neck sizers. I use those along with a Redding body die and all is right with the world.

Yep, dunno how I forgot about their collet neck sizers. For all of my fireformed brass, I ONLY use the collet neck sizers on them. I also really like the FCD for rifle loads and in fact, I have a load in .45 ACP in which I use the FCD and get awesome results and with no leading. Everything logical in the world of cast boolits says it shouldn't be that way, but it is and since it ain't broken, I ain't looking to fix it! :)

"My problem lies in that I don't trust the Lee Imperfect Powder Measure."

Nothing is perfect but Lee's PPM measure just may be the most consisitant measure on the market, especially so for coarse tubular rifle powders. Anyone denying that simply has little experience with others.

I bought a Lee PPM back in the late 80's when I bought my Challenger press--which I still have and which still gets almost daily use for things like de-priming, expanding, boolit sizing, etc.

Along the way, I've gone through just about every other powder measure and brand and keep coming back to my little $20 Lee powder measure because it IS simply the most consistent measure I have. I like the Hornady real well, am so-so on the RCBS, don't like the new Lymans, and DO like the Redding premium powder measures, but you can dang near buy a new handgun for what those things and the accessories will cost you.

Now. . . I've never tried to use the Lee PPM mounted on a powder through die or in any auto/progressive set-ups. It's strictly a single-stage "one charge at a time" tool and I'm fiercely loyal to it.

:coffee:

Para82
03-13-2013, 09:35 PM
I also have the Lee perfect powder measure and find it really consistent.Also have auto disk measure. Also have 380acp,9MM,38,357,10MM,45acp,22hornet,7X57,8x57 dies and have had no problems so far out of them.They are mostly older Lee dies though.YMMV
Para82

Lloyd Smale
03-14-2013, 08:00 AM
only lee dies i ever had a problem with were my first set of 50beowulf and it was common knowlege that they let a bad batch of those out. Im not one to worry about cost when it comes to loading gear and buy what i like and after saying that ill tell you in handgun dies at least i have more lee sets then all the others combined.

ukrifleman
03-14-2013, 01:09 PM
I load 14 calibres, 3 pistol and 11 rifle all with Lee dies and have never had a problem.
I also use their Perfect Powder Measure and find it throws very consistant charges, but ONLY if you follow Lee's instructions and run a hopper of powder through when new. This is to coat the surface areas with graphite to minimise static. Failure to do this will cause it to throw erratic charges.
ukrifleman.

engineer401
03-15-2013, 07:29 PM
I have not had the best of luck with Lee FCD dies. I got rid of them. The sizing dies seem to work fine for me. I'm not a big fan of the O rings used for the lock rings or die adjustments but that may just be prejudice.

Someone earlier stated in this thread he had problems with RCBS dies. No one produces perfect product every time. I had a 357 magnum set that sized the brass so small it was difficult to seat bullets.

I now use Dillon crimping and the rest are CH4D dies as the finish is better. I cannot say for sure whether use of the more costly dies produces better ammunition. I am not a competitive shooter. Ammunition seems to be more consistent and the customer service is very good at CH4D.

jonp
03-15-2013, 09:51 PM
I have several Lee Pistol Dies and they are all pretty decent. When I put the gauge on them after resizing they are all the same or near enough.

zuke
03-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Never had a problem with LEE dies.
But rcBS? never again.

khmer6
03-16-2013, 11:29 AM
I hear that all the time. Lots of users that move from rcbs to Lee. And from Lee to Hornady or Dillons. Whatever floats your boat and gets it done. Maybe some of us progress from Lee at a young age and move in to more expensive things like Dillons and as we get een older go back to simplistic of lee

ACrowe25
03-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Lee was my first, and after many sets I've never had a problem...

garym1a2
03-16-2013, 11:53 AM
I thought my perfect powder measure was bad, so I startefd measuring every 5th throw. I goto to the sencond trow from empty till it went off.
I was impressed, I use my Redding powder measue nowdays only cause my bench is setup much better for it and it carries a big hopper.

johnnybar
03-16-2013, 11:54 AM
No issues here.
GregG', details of you're problems would be helpful.

1hole
03-16-2013, 09:04 PM
"Gentlemen; anyone else having trouble with lee dies that do not resize corectly."

Not me. I've been reloading everything that goes BANG since '65, have some 50+ die sets in a dozen brands for more than 30 calibers and have owned others. I've never had a real die problem with any of them, nor do I know of anyone else who's had a legitmate die problem ... but I've known of several problem die users! ;-)

tom357mag
03-17-2013, 07:52 PM
I use Lee dies exclusivley and have never had a problem with them in 30 + years. I would give them a call , they have great Customer Service in my opinion

ACrowe25
03-17-2013, 08:07 PM
I use Lee dies exclusivley and have never had a problem with them in 30 + years. I would give them a call , they have great Customer Service in my opinion

I agree with the CS, always fixed my issues quick and easy. The way it ought to be in terms of CS.

1hole
03-17-2013, 08:12 PM
" . . I've never tried to use the Lee PPM mounted on a powder through die or in any auto/progressive set-ups."

To each his own but I dispise press mounted powder measures; on single stage presses it's clumsy and the constant shaking of moving turrets makes inconsistant drops a certainty. For modest pressure handgun loads I'm sure that's fine but I'm a low volume shooter so carefully dropped charges of handgun ammo from an iron stand mounted measure and trickled up charges for rifles is the only way I've reloaded since 1965.

trixter
03-18-2013, 05:40 PM
I load 45acp and .223, and every time I drop one of them into the gauge, they fit perfectly. I like them a lot. Never had one give me any trouble.

jcwit
03-18-2013, 06:31 PM
I reload for 40+ calibers, mostly handgun. I have dies from everyone except Dillon,"however I have other Dillion equipment", most of my dies are Lee. Problems? I have none with any of them.

TheDoctor
03-18-2013, 06:43 PM
I have Lee dies in every caliber I load, EXCEPT 7MM RSAUM, and that's because they don't offer it, except custom, and I don't shoot enough of it to shell out the bucks. Collet and FCD for all my rifles, ranchdogs FCD for 357, 44, and 45 Colt j-words. I do use other manufacturers dies for certain specific purposes, but the majority that I use are Lee. Didn't get to use my PPM much, sucker broke on me right off the bat, so I use my RCBS and Lyman measures.

dkf
03-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Most of my stuff is Lee and all my dies thus far are Lee. I had issues with a .380 carbide sizer die. Had horrible neck tension with jacketed bullets. Tried several brands of jacketed bullets, many brands of brass and even went as far as not flaring the case mouth. Even with no flare I could push the bullet into the case with my fingers. Sent it to someone on a another site for him to test and he found the same thing. Called Lee sent the die back to them. Got the "nothing wrong with it" speech and he tried to sell me a U die both times I called. Guy did not see to care one bit that the die did not work. I asked him why they sell a U die if the original dies are "within spec". His answer "some guys like to shoot smaller diameter bullets in .380". Sounded like BS to me, usually you go bigger than .355" with bullet diameter, not smaller. Put a sour taste in my mouth for the company. I do not know if they are not loaders, they just do not care and/or they think their customers are stupid.

josper
03-18-2013, 09:58 PM
I have a new set of Lee 45colt dies ,the 4 die deluxe set . I was hesitant in buying Lee as I have always used RCBS. I was surprised how well the Lee dies worked .I am very pleased with them. No problems wit the FCD either.

EDG
03-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Lee full lenght sizer dies in 7.65 Mauser are too long from the head to the headspace datum line by .010. This is well known and I have a copy of the old chamber drawing that caused it.
For the most part Lee sizer dies internal dimensions match other companies internal dimensions. I have measured a number. I have 7 or 8 Lee dies sets but rarely use them. I began loading long before Lee started making dies so I have a lot of experience (more than 50 sets) with other brands and I find the Lee dies last by far due to the very poor expander design for straight case rounds and the seater dies in general.