PDA

View Full Version : Finally settled on my "urban assault rifle".....

Harry O
03-11-2013, 11:37 AM
I am now ready for zombies, werewolves, or rampaging low-information voters. I know that things have been crazy for a while when it comes to AR-15's. I actually held a brand new $700 AR-15 variant in my hands (on sale in a chain store) the weekend of the last school shooting, but could not bring myself to buy something that ugly. I handed it to the next guy in line and he nearly fumbled it reaching for his plastic.

I have dug out my Marlin 1894 lever-action carbine in 44-40 caliber. I was going to use it for CAS shooting, but for various reasons, did not. The Marlin is light, handy, and powerful enough for the varmints listed above. It is equipped with a receiver mounted peep-sight and I have settled on a handload of 18.0gr of 2400 with a 200gr flat-nose JSP. I've got about 600 cases, 2,000bullets, and 3lbs of powder put aside for this one. That is a little hot for original guns, but mine is a 1990's version that has had no problems with the load. The load gives just under 1,450fps out of the barrel and is more accurate than I am. FPE is close to what a .223 is, and the momentum is greater. It is easier to carry with a sling too.

I shoot CAS with a similar lever action (a longer barrel, different sights, and in 38-40 caliber), so I am well practiced in shooting fast and accurately enough with a lever action. I can carry only 1/3 the number of rounds, but 11+1 would certainly put a dent in the varmint population. BTW, I don't expect it will be very long before the politicians realize this, and try to ban them, too.

If it was good enough for Chuck Conners, it is good enough for me.

felix
03-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Chuck Conners was a 3rd baseman for the Dodgers before he went for a movie test on a bet. Something close to that. ... felix

Alan
03-11-2013, 12:43 PM
and you can top off the magazine w/o taking the gun out of action. With a good trigger, good sights, and a little practice, a good lever carbine makes an OUTSTANDING home defense gun.

felix
03-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Pro 3rd basemen are born with very fast and instinctive hands with above average eyesight. Prolly could have been a good fast draw candidate as well. ... felix

FergusonTO35
03-12-2013, 11:18 AM
As long as I have my 1894 in .357 I will be well defended. I can shoot it better than any autoloader and it makes a much bigger hole!