PDA

View Full Version : 15,000 lbs+ of range lead/copper in CA

MarkK
08-16-2007, 01:19 AM
here is the link...

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1313039&convertTo=USD

garandsrus
08-16-2007, 01:28 AM
Interesting... This auction requires that the material be "mutilated". I'm not quite sure how you could do that beyond what has already been done!

John

Frank46
08-16-2007, 03:15 AM
Yeay, nice stuff, but did you see theiur spent brass (read cartridge) 5.56mm, 9mm, 20mm,and 45auto. Seems that someone with a tractor trailer rig to play with and maybe a forklift and afew strong bodied freinds could stand to make some bucks outta that scrap. What's one man's trash is another man's treasure. Frank

Netherwolf
08-17-2007, 03:16 AM
Yeay, nice stuff, but did you see theiur spent brass (read cartridge) 5.56mm, 9mm, 20mm,and 45auto. Seems that someone with a tractor trailer rig to play with and maybe a forklift and afew strong bodied freinds could stand to make some bucks outta that scrap. What's one man's trash is another man's treasure. Frank

Actually there's not much money to be made on fired brass - I've run the numbers for myself & a commercial reloader I use to work for. Fired brass currently auctions at around $2.80/LB. The end price goes well above $3.00/LB once you tack on the govliquidators 10% buyer's premium, sales tax (if you don't have a business license &/or have filed the proper papers with govliquidators) & shipping & handling cost (i.e., diesel fuel for the big rig & paying the driver). Now, factor in what your time is worth in terms of sorting & cleaning the stuff, not to mention the time it takes to run your Gunbroker.com auction (no more brass auctions on e-bone) plus their seller's fees & you're further ahead putting your money in an FDIC insured CD paying 5%. The only people who make money on gooberment brass auctions are commercial reloaders/remanufactureres & even then the profit margin isn't all that great on the smaller calibers. As a matter of fact, the guy I used to work for won't waste his time or tie up his money to load anything smaller than .50BMG. Take it with however many grains of salt it's worth.
Netherwolf

Freightman
08-17-2007, 07:29 PM
That looks to be a headache in the making!