PDA

View Full Version : BP in a Lee Enfield 45-70

MikeS
03-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Hi All.

I just got a Lee Enfield, one of the ones rebuilt by Navy Arms (or actually their rifle building company Gibbs Rifle Co) in 45-70. My other 45-70 rifle is an old spanish rolling block that I shoot only with BP. I'm planning on shooting the Enfield with the same loads, rather than having 2 different loads, one for the roller, one for the Enfield. Is there anything I need to lookout for when shooting it with BP?

Another question, currently I'm sizing my boolits to .458 which after slugging the bore of my rolling block I determined to be the right size, and so far I get zero leading. I haven't slugged the Enfield yet, but I think it might have a larger bore than the roller, when I take a 457125 and stick it in the muzzle of both rifles it goes much deeper into the muzzle of the Enfield than it does in the roller, so if I find after slugging the bore that I need to size the boolits larger, would the rolling block have any problems shooting these larger size boolits?

I really don't want to have to make 2 sets of ammo in the same cartridge if I don't have to which is also the reason I'll be shooting BP in the Enfield. If it does need larger boolits, then I only have a couple of moulds I could use, as all my Lyman moulds drop right at .458, but my 2 Lee moulds the 405gr HB and the 500gr pointed boolit both are spec'ed to drop at .459 but both seem to drop a bit fatter, between .460 - .461 so as long as the Enfield's bore isn't larger than that I should be all set. If I need to load separate ammo for the Enfield, then I might still load BP assuming it won't be a problem for the action (which I doubt, but it can't hurt to ask), although I might load some SP as well.

Boz330
03-11-2013, 07:23 PM
BP should slug the boolit up to groove size with no problem in the larger bore if you are using a lead tin mix such as 20-1. Depending on the nose design and fit accuracy may suffer. All depends on the level of accuracy that you are looking for.
Can't see any reason that there would be much difference in the 2 rifles. Clean up etc should be the same.

Bob

Jim
03-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Mike, I've got one and have had it since right after they came out over ten years ago. DON'T LOOSE THE MAGAZINE! One per customer.

I load Lyman 540s in mine over a compressed charge of 7383. The primers barely flatten, but that load will make your retinas detach.

enfield
03-11-2013, 07:50 PM
more than likely you will end up with 2 completely different loads for the 2 rifles, way to many variables to expect 2 completely different rifles to shoot the same load with equal accuracy, I think. besides its no fun having a bunch of the same loads, otherwise we wouldn't have all those containers sitting around with different brass for different guns , several moulds for one caliber, different sizers and lube. our only limit is shelf space and the number of plastic containers we have ! Ha.

MikeS
03-12-2013, 02:29 AM
If my rolling block was a modern one then I would have no problem loading SP for the enfield, but with my luck I'll have a cartridge loaded with SP kind of on the hot side (but well within the limits of the Enfield), and accidentally get it mixed in with my loads for the rolling block, get to the range, and only remember that it was a smokeless load as the roller is coming apart in front of my eyes! And worse yet, that would be the one round where a buddy says "Let me shoot that old gun"!! Yes, I think I'll stick with black powder :) much safer that way. And if I do try a smokeless round, I'll mark the primer with red nail polish so I know it's SP and marked in a way that's hard to remove.

StrawHat
03-12-2013, 06:05 AM
You might have to play a bit with the load, but working up one load for two rifles is not that tough to do. If it were, how is it that the factory and the military can come out with "target" loads? Will it be the best possible accuracy from each rifle? Probably not but are tehse your target rifles or for hunting and plinking? I quit trying to milk out the last .00001" from my loads years ago and found I started to enjoy shooting a lot more. Decide on the accuracy level you are willing to accept and work up loads to satisfy you.

Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.

MikeS
03-12-2013, 06:23 AM
Well, I'm just plinking with both guns at the moment, so getting the last bit of accuracy out of either gun isn't something I'm worried about at the moment. Eventually I would like to work up an accurate load for the rolling block. as I would imagine that it has more capability for accuracy than the Enfield, and so I'm sure whatever load I work up for the roller should shoot with plinking accuracy in the Enfield. Of course nothing is foolproof, as soon as something is, a better grade of fool comes along! :) For this reason I'll stick to BP in 45-70.

TRX
03-27-2013, 05:09 AM
Mike, I've got one and have had it since right after they came out over ten years ago. DON'T LOOSE THE MAGAZINE! One per customer..

Old Western Scrounger has them... but they're $80 + shipping. Best not to lose the magazine. <grin>