PDA

View Full Version : Rem 600 and 700 same barrel?

Bullshop
03-10-2013, 10:13 PM
I have recently been traded a Remington Model 600 Mohawk in 6mm Rem. It has an 18" barrel and is hidiously loud so I want to change the barrel.
I think they are the same but not sure so asking before I buy. Does anyone know for sure if the barrel threads, diameter, and shank length are the same for model 600 and model 700?
Maybe better yet someone trade me out of it. Maybe be a good cast boolit shooter for a small person. Proly be OK for cast with faster powders than what factory 6mm uses. Got some factory ammo with it and man are they loud.
Chrono says its about 200 fps below book speeds for a 24" barrel.

RickinTN
03-10-2013, 11:18 PM
As far as I know the threads and shank are the same. The contour of the model 600 barrel I think is the same as a model 700 mountain rifle contour. The standard 700 sporter contour would be heavier. I have several model 700 take off barrels, but I'm pretty sure none in 6mm Rem. I do have .308 for sure. The barrels I have would be either 22" or 24", and I think most are 22". I would be happy to check to see if you would like.
Rick

Nobade
03-11-2013, 07:52 AM
The same within tolerances. Remember Remington barrels are all unique and have to be fitted to the headspace and index properly, but the shank length +-.025" and 1.0625X16 threads are the same.

By the time I get a Remington takeoff barrel fitted up I could have properly fitted and chambered a blank and had a better job in the end. But there are lots of takeoff barrels out there so folks want to use them......

-Nobade