PDA

View Full Version : I've mounted a Red Dot on my 625-8 JM Special

Dale53
08-16-2007, 12:49 AM
I received my B-Square scope base from Midway along with the rings (excellent service, by the way). The base is extremely well made and obviously designed for the "N" frame S&W. However, the front end of the mount interfered with the front sight base (wouldn't happen on a longer barrel - mine is 4"). I pondered a bit, thought about shortening the base, but realized I might need the full base length for various optical sights. So, shortening was out. Then, I saw that I just needed to remove a bit of material from the bottom of the front end of the mount to just clear the front sight base. H-m-m-m, who do I know with a milling machine? Wait a minute, I only needed to remove a small bit - how about a hillbilly milling machine? What's that, you say? That is a file. A few strokes later, the base was installed and appeared to be perfect (the filed area is hidden by the base itself).

I'm going to shoot it tomorrow and will post a picture of the "new" revolver with the Red Dot. If the targets are good, you may see them, if they are not, they will be conspicuous by their absence[smilie=1:.

As an aside, my shooting buddy ordered an exact match to my revolver (he was with me when I got mine) and he has it now. I also installed a scope base on his and he will pick up a Red Dot tomorrow. A third shooting buddy was with us at the range yesterday and he has now ordered his![smilie=1: The disease is catching...

For those who may be thinking of a .45 ACP revolver, I also received a little gadget called "Moonclip case extractor" for the munificent price of $.3.29 plus shipping (it is a Ranch product). It is slick as can be. You can unload a full moon clip in just about a case a second with NO effort.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=395607

Trying to remove them with just the fingers is a PAIN (capitals intended). I also have a California original "De-mooner" coming. It is a pliers type of unit that removes two cases at a time with little effort. It won't be here for a couple of weeks as I ordered it with an order of polymer moonclips that will allow you to unload the empties with your fingers easily (the steel ones retain the cases better and I will reserve them for "serious" work).

Of course, you can eliminate all of this case falderol by buying a thousand Starline .45 Auto Rim cases and use this piece just like any other revolver. However, I have several thousand .45 ACP cases, they load faster with the clips if needed, and I save about a $140.00 a thousand. That is reason enough for me.

Dale53

singleshotbuff
08-16-2007, 01:50 AM
Amen on using the 45 ACPs Dale. Tis how God intended it LOL. After all, these are 45 ACP revolers. I have been shooting my 625 5" since the first year they were produced (1989?). I wasn't even old enough to buy a handgun then, had to have Dad buy it for me. I do have a couple hundred auto rim cases, but use mostly ACP brass. Easier to load and unload that way. I have a good selection of full moon, half moon and 1/3 moon clips that work well.

Used to use the gun for bowling pin matches where speed was king. Full moon clips were the rule then.

SSB

Calamity Jake
08-16-2007, 10:08 AM
My avatar is a 625-5 with red dot mounted on a clamp on base I made along with custom made King Wood grips.

I love that 625.

redneckdan
08-16-2007, 11:31 AM
It doesn't matter how much coin you have tied up in equipment/tooling, any machinist worth his salt will have a set of files and the proper tools to use/maintain them.

Nice work by the way.

Newtire
08-16-2007, 12:03 PM
how about a hillbilly milling machine? What's that, you say? That is a file. A few strokes later, the base was installed and appeared to be perfect (the filed area is hidden by the base itself).Dale53

I got the Weaver base for my RedDot at the same time I got the Red Dot and the spacing on the mounting grooves didn't work so had to do a bit of filing myself but it all worked. As long as you measure and have a good file you can do alot. I used a file to make a new cylinder base pin for my recently acquired H & R Trapper pistol.

Dale53
08-17-2007, 04:06 PM
I got out to the range yesterday morning, but didn't get there until probably 10:30 A.M. That was a mistake as it was 94 degrees by 11:00 A.M. and peaked out over a 100 degrees. I started out just fine and got the revolver (625-8) sighted in and shot five targets while so occupied. The better groups were running from 1"-1.5" (I was using some thirty year old ammo from a local "custom loader" that I had taken in a trade). It was good stuff but I wasn't holding too well. In fact, I was almost overcome with the heat and humidity (94% humidity). We apparently were having an inversion as the air was bad (you could taste it)> That is not the norm around here and I had to call my session short (saved everybody from having to call 911:( :( .)

I re-learned something that I already knew - it is a BEAR to try to unload those full moon clips with just your fingers. I used my new .$3.29 tool and it worked well but I hungered for something better. Today my prayers were answered. I had previously ordered a California Compettion Works Demooner tool - it arrived today. It is available from a number of suppliers. Here is a picture of it (scroll down to the bottom as I got the Delrin plastic one for around $20.00 or so incl shipping:

https://www.moonclips.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=47&cat=S+%26+W+-+Unloading+Tools

The plastic appears very sturdy and it EASILY strips the full moon clips with little effort. This is definitely a "Very Recommended" item for anyone who uses the steel moon clips.

I should take delivery of the RIMZ plastic clips in a week or so (they are running behind) and I will give you a personal report on those (there are a number of favorable reports on the web).

Are we having fun, yet?:mrgreen: YOU DERN BETTER BELIEVE IT!!

Dale53

lovedogs
08-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Just out of curiousity, what kind of Red Dot are you using? I tried a couple of Bushnells on .44 Contenders and one .243 rifle and had to send them back. Now we are running Tru-Glo Red Dots and they're just fine. They're not expensive but work well and have a lifetime warranty.

Dale53
08-18-2007, 12:48 AM
Presently, I am running several Bushnell Trophy Red Dot's with out problems, so far. They have been used only on light recoiling cartridge revolvers, so far (.32's and .45 ACP's). They have a lifetime warranty but I haven't had to try that, yet.

I'll keep the Tru-Glo's in mind if I have problems with what I am running.

Dale53

35remington
08-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Dale, since I'm dirt cheap I just hacksawed a thin walled pipe carefully to leave a t*t on it, taped up the other end with electrician's tape and made sure it was long enough to accomodate six loaded rounds.

Best demooner ever.

Dale53
08-18-2007, 10:20 AM
35remington;
I am always ready to applaud innovation, particularly something that doesn't cost much. Why don't you give us some pictures of the tool at work. Others might be interested in saving some money.

Dale53

Dale53
08-20-2007, 04:41 PM
I made it to the range again this morning. This time I arrived at 9:30 (we don't shoot before 9:00 A.M. in deference to our neighbors). It was pretty dern nice until Noon - then it started getting HOT and Muggy, again. I shot four targets standing (40 shots with my 625-8 and the new Red Dot) and am pretty dern happy! When I did my part, the revolver sure did it's part!:drinks:

Here are a couple of pictures - the target is a 99x100 and my best one today (the worst was a 97 with a big fat 8 on it:( ). Both of my buddies had their new 625-8's there also. We had LOTS of enjoyment and all agree that the California Competition Works De-Mooner is THE answer to stripping the clips. They have both ordered ones for themselves (I threatened to start charging them for using mine:-D :-D ).

You will note that I replaced the fancy Jerry Miculek grips with the Packmayr Compacs. The original grips hurt the base of my thumb (a personal problem I have with ALL revolvers of medium caliber and above). It is now quite comfortable to shoot and I am happy, happy, happy!:drinks:

Dale53

Dale53
08-20-2007, 04:57 PM
I would like to make a comment about relatively new Smith & Wesson's. I have read on the net that newer Smith's are deficient regarding accuracy. That is certainly not the case with my and my buddies' new Smiths. I don't automatically think everybody else is "lying" but I wonder what actually has caused the dissatisfaction? This piece (the 625-8) shoots as well as any of my older Smiths. I have been shooting these revolvers for a VERY long time and I have not found any accuracy problems with any of them (nor with my Rugers, either - nor my Taurus'). I wonder if there are just an occasional "bad one" that gets loose, or...? The loads that I have been shooting have been "stock" loads or a commercial reloader's "off the shelf" target loads and nothing drastic has been done to them - just the standard good bullets and proper powder charges of normal powders suitable for the purpose. Curious, huh?

Dale53

35remington
08-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Dale, will do on the picture. I just have to find the damn thing. Time to reorganize my loading room.

Bear with me - I WILL send the pix.

Newtire
08-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Dale53

Hi Dale,

What was the distance on that target? That is some nice shootin.

Dale53
08-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Newtire;
Remember the old "Spy" show ("Get Smart")?

Would you believe 100 yards?[smilie=1:
Would you believe 75 yards?[smilie=1:
Uh-h-h, would you believe 50 yards?:roll:

Well, it was 25 yards, standing, two handed.:drinks:

I know that is not something a Master Class Camp Perry type would be impressed with but it is about the best I can do these days and at my age, I'll take it:-D .

Dale53

Newtire
08-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Newtire;
Remember the old "Spy" show ("Get Smart")?

Would you believe 100 yards?[smilie=1:
Would you believe 75 yards?[smilie=1:
Uh-h-h, would you believe 50 yards?:roll:

Well, it was 25 yards, standing, two handed.:drinks:

I know that is not something a Master Class Camp Perry type would be impressed with but it is about the best I can do these days and at my age, I'll take it:-D .

Dale53

Standing 2-hands...mighty fine in my book. I just need to keep practicing. I'm feeling a little more connected to the pistol now that I've put about 500 rounds thru it. I have a few good loads that I'm gonna stick with and maybe go up to .313" in size from .312". My best groups off sandbags are like the one you posted. I have a little more practicing to do. I plan on going up weekend after next & put the hurts to some tin cans.

Dale53
08-21-2007, 12:20 AM
My .32's are sized .313". That works quite well in all three of my .32's (S&W 631, S&W 16-4. and Ruger Sp 101). I have settled on the Keith 100 gr GB six cavity Lee mould and the bullets from it. Mostly, I am shooting, in .32 S&W L cases, 2.8 Win 231 and whatever small pistol primer that is handy. This should be a DANDY edible small game round and I will find out this fall.

Dale53