PDA

View Full Version : front sight height,,goes-intas..........

mainiac
03-10-2013, 05:54 PM
i put a adjustable rear sight on my ruger 1911,,now my front sight is to low.With the rear all the way down, im hitting an average of 6 inches high,@25yards.

Plan on tig weldin the front sight,making it taller,then file down.

Was wondering if any of you fellers could tell me how much higher my front has to be,so i can get into the middle of my rears adjustment??thanks,,,,

I'll Make Mine
03-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Easiest way to tell is to measure the minimum height of your new sight from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the leaf, then do the same for the one you took out. Add the difference on the front, plus a few thousandths (to be sure -- you can adjust the extra out, within reason).

backroad
03-10-2013, 08:10 PM
There is a formula for calculating this google front sight calculator

Tom Myers
03-11-2013, 10:53 AM
i put a adjustable rear sight on my ruger 1911,,now my front sight is to low.With the rear all the way down, im hitting an average of 6 inches high,@25yards.

Plan on tig weldin the front sight,making it taller,then file down.

Was wondering if any of you fellers could tell me how much higher my front has to be,so i can get into the middle of my rears adjustment??thanks,,,,

Assuming that the sight radius on the Ruger 1911 is 6.5".

Sight error at 25 yards is 6"

25 yards = 900 inches

6.5" / 900" = 0.007222

6" * 0.00722 = 0.043 inches of sight height adjustment .

No, add to that 0.043" plus one half the distance your rear sight moves from the lowest adjustment to the highest adjustment to get the adjustment to the mid point of your rear sight

So, your new sight should be slightly more than 0.043"+ the midpoint adjustment value taller than your old one and then you can carefully file it down to bring point of impact to where you want it.

If your sight radius is not 6.5 inches , just substitute the actual value and do the math.

Just remember to only file off one half of what you think is needed and the recheck the point of impact. Then redo the calculations and again take off one half of what you think is needed. If you try to take off the correct amount the first time, invariably you will take off too much.

One file stroke can take off quite a lot of front sight.

mainiac
03-11-2013, 08:03 PM
thanks,,,, i built up my sight this morning,,its now about .100 taller,so ill have plenty to file down.
While i was at it, i tigged the silly white dot shut,,now i wont have to look at that foolish thing....

dont know what kind of metal ruger uses in there sights,but man,,aint it hard! File wont hardly scratch it. Although it welded real nice,with 70 series rod.