PDA

View Full Version : Managing recoil from the bench

Kyrifleman
03-10-2013, 05:46 PM
I've been working up a wheel weight load for my Winchester 30-30 and a full length gas check load for my Long Branch Enfield and they both destroy my shoulder from a bench. Seems like the 30-30 hits me harder shooting this way. My arm starts throbbing and I get a headache and then I start shooting shotgun patterns because I can't concentrate. What's the proper bench technique for shooting a moderately hard kicking rifle from the bench? Neither of them bother me much at all from a standing position.

wch
03-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Put a bag of shot between your shoulder and the butt.

Lefty SRH
03-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Past makes a recoil pad that you can strap around your shoulder. Do rifles the recoil pads on them?

Kyrifleman
03-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Neither has a recoil pad. I feel like I'm doing something wrong because when I shot a few weeks ago, recoil didn't seem too bad. Today it was too much to shoot well.

Shuz
03-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Something else that may help is one of those knee or elbow pads that basketball players use. As has been mentioned, PAST makes a "sissy pad" that straps to the shoulder and we use it when sighting in son's .300 Rem Ultra Mag.

missionary5155
03-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Greetings
When shooting from a bench I make sure my body is not laying down behind the rifle. I sit as upright as possible. It may take more "bags and supports" to make this possible but I find when my body can rotate behind the recoil then all is much better.
I also use cross sticks as much as possible especially with light carbines shooting heavy loads. I would not desire to shoot my 414 SuperMag Marlin 336 launching a 265 grainer at 1950 fps more than once from a "laying down" bench position.
Mike in Peru

Rattlesnake Charlie
03-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Yeah, what missionary5155 said. Get upright where your shoulder can move. More like shooting offhand. What a difference. As for the bags of sand/shot between buttplate and shoulder, they help tame recoil, but may adversely affect point of impact and accuracy. More testing, is what it takes.

Kyrifleman
03-10-2013, 08:41 PM
So you sit squarely facing the target or facing away to the right like when shooting standing?

Hyphenated
03-10-2013, 09:17 PM
You can sit squarely facing the rifle. Just make sure your sand bags are stacked up high enough you are not hunched forward. Up front under my forearm I use a big plastic Folgers coffee can filled with rice and then a sand bag on top of that. It might take two sand bags under your butt stock, but that should bring your body more up right.

missionary5155
03-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Greetings
Folgers Coffee tub with rice.. Thanks Hyphenated gonna have to add that to my shooting box.
Upright yes. I use a 8 inch cement block under a padded wood rifle rest up front. Rest has a "U" cut in the top my wrist fits in while holding the forend. Under my elbow I need about 5 inches sand bags but the coffee tub with a bag on top is a good one to try.
Mike in Peru

CATS
03-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Yes, sit up straight, use enough sand bags to get height. Get better ear gear, you may also be reacting to blast and flinching just before you squeeze the trigger, which could allow the butt to come off of your shoulder. If you are not holding firm against your shoulder you will get a kick instead of a push from the recoil. If you are doing that, a box of ammo will feel like a jack hammer.

jonp
03-11-2013, 05:20 PM
The Past Shoulder Recoil Pad looks too thin to work but does wonders. Anytime I'm shooting more than a magazine from the bench or a few tubes full with the levergun I use it. I also make sure that I have the proper mount. A little off makes a big difference. a 30-30 should not hurt to shoot.