PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Range Test wi. T/C .56cal. Smoothbore (wi. pics)

Maven
03-10-2013, 04:58 PM
The weather today was perfect for a trip to the range. (Others had the same idea!) I wanted to see how the new (to me) SB would shoot from a proper rest @ 25 yds. As before, I used 60 grs. Diamondback FFFg + a
.550" weighed RB @ ~ 250grs. + .010" cotton twill patching lubed with "enhanced" Moose Milk (shots 1 - 5) and then Stumpy's Moose Snot (shots 6 - 11). I switched to Stumpy's MS because I thought it would prevent the blown patches I experienced last time. In short, it did. Except for shot 6 (diff lube, sic) on the target below, the greased patches produced a nice group at the 5 o'clock position.

My 2nd test was to try the above, but with a 3/8" wool felt wad, which I cut with a 5/8" arch punch, over the powder charge (still 60 grs.). Just to be clear, I was using the greased patch as well. After a minor sight adjustment (windage & elevation), I got a decent 6 (?) shot group, ruined by the 1st shot @ 3 o'clock. I also tried this offhand and was quite pleased with the result. I.e, not tiny groups (4 shots & 3 shots), but quite good considering I haven't been practicing for the last month. I'll try the felt wad again against the greased patch at both 25 yds. & 50 yds. to see whether the gun has a preference for one over the other.

Btw, the .010" twill patch isn't perfect (.012" would be better), but greasing it eliminated burn-throughs completely, and allowed me to start and seat the RB with only moderate effort. The bore, remained free of fouling as well

Fly
03-10-2013, 06:36 PM
I love range reports with pic's Maven.As soon as I get my front sight I will post some pic's
with homemade powder, & the same with Goex to compare.But I do love looking at others shooting.

It has been years since I shot a rendezvous & such.I sure miss them, but don't know of any here in
east Oklahoma.So my own compairing is what you guys post.I miss shooting with guys like you.

Fly

Maven
03-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Wish you were here, Fly and I do indeed want to see how your home brew compares to Goex. Btw, 2 of the other shooters at our range today were practicing for an upcoming interclub .22cal. [offhand] match. However, they also brought their ML's with them (came to their senses?). We all had a good time in such spring like weather.

scattershot
03-12-2013, 11:58 AM
I had one of those, and it was a shootin' son of a gun. .58 caliber Wonder Wads work well, and a .530 ball patched with denim from an old pair of jeans (about .035) over 90 grains of ffG will shoot cloverleafs at 50 yards. That load is pretty tight, but it will shoot for you.

Maven
03-12-2013, 01:21 PM
scattershot, Actually, I did try the denim patch + .530" RB last week, but got inconsistent results: see http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?188631-Range-Time-With-My-T-C-56cal-Smoothie, for ex. I'll try it again with a different .530" RB, though. I find even a .014" (compressed) ticking patch with the .550" RB to be a tight fit, but probably will retest with it as well. (It works well enough in my trade gun.) Based on my experience with smoothbores (and that of others too), using a very tight patch with a RB whose diameter is slightly less than bore diameter, say .010" - .015", doesn't necessarily result in greatly improved accuracy as it does in a rifle. I'm also looking for a ball - patch combination which doesn't require a mallet to start so I can use the gun on a trail walk.

scattershot
03-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Yeah, that load took a while to get down the barrel, for sure. Stout loading rod, too. LOL
Good luck in your search. Those .56 SB guns are often overlooked. I eventually had mine rebored and re-rifled to .58 caliber.

taco650
03-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Got pics of the rifle?

Maven
03-12-2013, 07:10 PM
taco 650, Look at this http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?188025-New-(to-me)-T-C-56cal-Smoothbore, especially post #13. The gun in the link has darker wood than mine, but mine looks like that (and it's not a kit gun).