PDA

View Full Version : Boolit for 9mm AR 15

crabo
08-15-2007, 09:43 PM
I am looking for a good bullet for my 9mm AR. I want to use it for small game/plinking. The gun has a 16" barrel. It is a flat top with a red dot mounted on it. I would like decent accuracy out to 100 yards.

One of the bullets I am looking at is the H&G #81 which is a 127 grain swc patterned after the H&G 68 for .45 acp. I would get it in a plain base.

Do you think this would be a good bullet for the carbine or are there better choices? I am not interested in a tumble lube bullet. Do I need a GC bullet?

I would also like to shoot this bullet in my 38 super.

Thanks,

Crabo

MT Gianni
08-15-2007, 09:54 PM
I like Lymans 356402 truncated cone or the rn 358242 in the 9mm. The 402 would probably be the better small game bullet but not by much. Rabbits and squirrels go down with the rn but I hate looking for brass. gianni

mstarling
08-16-2007, 08:36 PM
I've shot a boat load of the 358402s in a 9mm AR. Is good bullet that shoots and feeds well. I usually run a 4 cavity mould in rotation with soime other rifle mold ... in other words I kinda get'm free as I am casting something else just to keep the molds at the right temperature.

I use Carnauba Red and see essentially no lead fouling with WWs.

medicstimpy
08-26-2007, 03:19 AM
I still haven't gotten my 9mm AR. RockRiver said 10-12 weeks but I'm going to try the Lee 105gr SWC in it and see if it feeds.

Had problems casting so I still don't know if they will feed in my Ruger, either. Want to try a club member's XD9 and see if they feed in that, too as that's next on my "to get list". I have to see if the club still has the rental XD9to try them. I think they sold it. :(

Check back in a few weeks and I'll let everybody know if it works or not.

I ordered this one for mainly indoor use as it qualifies to be used on the Pistol Range as well and 9mm is a lot cheaper and easier to reload than my .233

crabo
08-26-2007, 09:46 AM
One of the boolits I am going to try is the Lyman #356637 -124 Grain Devastator Hollow Point Bevel Base. If it feeds well, I will probably have the bevel base removed if it doesn't group as well as I would like. The biggest problem with that boolit is that I only have a single cavity mold.

I will be looking for another boolit that I can cast in a 4 cavity for mass consumption.

The gun shoots really well with jacketed ammo. There is a range about an hour away that is going to start having steel challenge type matches again that said I could shoot my AR instead of my pistol. Should be fun.

I took a brass catcher and modified it so I could use it on my carbine. I have a flat topped Olympic arms, with the collapsible stock and a red dot on top.

Let me know what you end up using.

CRabo

medicstimpy
09-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Update... the Lee 105gr LSWC for 38/357 that I've been casting and resizing for my 9mm does work in my new AR15-9mm. The things are great. Nice clean, round holes coming out of an AR15!!! :twisted: