PDA

View Full Version : Adaptations for conditions

OeldeWolf
03-10-2013, 04:07 PM
I know a lot of us here have had to make alterations to things we all do, because of physical problems.

I used to store my lead ingots in ACDelco water pump boxes, about 65 lbs a box. I am now putting it in smaller brake pad boxes, about 15 to 17 lbs ea. And finding those to be pretty heavy.

I am unsure if I can deal with my old mil surp rifles' recoil, either. Going to have to see if I still can. So I am going to try and buy a couple fo polymer AR lowers while they are still legal. How does the recoil of a 300 blackout compare with a 7x57, or 303 brit?

What adaptations have others found, so I have some good ideas to steal?

Blacksmith
03-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Eyes and hearing. I don't do either as well as i used to.

x101airborne
03-10-2013, 06:28 PM
The blackout will recoil considerably less than the 7x57. And a good slip on recoil pad works real well at making that more comfy also. I don't care for the sharp edges of military buttstocks. Even when I shoot my O3-A3's and Garands, I typically use a PAST recoil pad. I prefer the thinnest ones because it is not the recoil I don't care for, it is that uncomfortable metal and the rear.

garym1a2
03-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Put a compensator on the blackout and recoil is almost nothing.

Wayne Smith
03-11-2013, 03:52 PM
I got a PAST pad when I was working up BP loads in a Trapdoor. I use it whenever I am dealing with a steel buttplate.

shooter93
03-11-2013, 06:23 PM
I'm a builder and I've wondered for years how with each passing year rooves get farther off the ground and floors get lower.

P.K.
03-11-2013, 09:35 PM
I know a lot of us here have had to make alterations to things we all do, because of physical problems.

I used to store my lead ingots in ACDelco water pump boxes, about 65 lbs a box. I am now putting it in smaller brake pad boxes, about 15 to 17 lbs ea. And finding those to be pretty heavy.

I am unsure if I can deal with my old mil surp rifles' recoil, either. Going to have to see if I still can. So I am going to try and buy a couple fo polymer AR lowers while they are still legal. How does the recoil of a 300 blackout compare with a 7x57, or 303 brit?

What adaptations have others found, so I have some good ideas to steal?

If I may toss out a few others to consider if your not stuck on a .30 cal are the 6.8SPC (.277) and the 6.5 Creedmoor(.264). There is another .30 cal option in the AR-15 to consider too and that's the 30 Rem. All are mild recoiling and with the right butstock comfortable to shoot. All in all the buffer will suck up most of the felt recoil and a light push to the shoulder is about the extent of it with these. My experiance with the 6.8 is from 90gr-115gr when loads are considered and none have left me wincing because of felt recoil. There are other options for the AR platform as well like a hydralic buffer, stiffer spring and heavier bbl to reduce recoil. Great platform to work with.

Good Luck!

DIRT Farmer
03-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Volicitys got lower and gauges lighter. I love to shoot modern skeet. If I can't break them with the .410 I go up to my big bore, a 28 ga. My muzzle loading trade gun is a 28 ga also. Loading sub sonic keeps the mil-surps fun.

Recluse
03-11-2013, 11:05 PM

The hearing in my right ear is going fast and I find myself either turning my left ear towards people when they speak or watching their lips a lot closer. For me, the hearing loss is partly hereditary and partly self-induced from too much time on the weapons range before proper hearing protection came around.

The eyesight is driving me nuts. I have to have prescription reading glasses in the cockpit, but the problem is that those glasses do me zilch good when shooting. Increasingly, the front sight gets fuzzier and fuzzier which makes it harder to hold a good sight picture.

Friends tell me that red-dot sights are my friend, but I'm a stubborn, ill-tempered purist and cannot fathom putting a red-dot sight on any of my beloved wheelguns short of buying a Ruger Super Redhawk and then "building it up" to include a red-dot sight.

I had a bad accident when I was in the service and of all the damage that was done, my right shoulder was dislocated and torn up pretty bad. Compound that with the fact that I was a longtime competitive swimmer from age 5 as well as a baseball catcher from age 7, and the shoulder now feels and sounds like fresh gravel grinding against itself everytime I rotate it.

That makes shooting the heavier caliber long guns somewhat painful after eight to twelve rounds, so I've resorted to slip on recoil pads which make the guns feel funny but they sure help the shoulder.

I love my Enfield MkIII .303, but hate the heavy wood and brass buttplate, so therefore rarely shoot it--even though I have some really primo loads for it. I've finally decided to order a lightweight stock for it and have a custom recoil pad installed by a guy I know who is a wizard at such magic. I'll scope the gun as well. A few purists (ha, comes back to bite me) have bemoaned me planning to do such a vile thing to such a fine old war weapon, but guns were made to shoot and if this is what it takes to get me to shoot it AND be able to enjoy it, then so be it.

My casting sessions are shortening considerably because of the bum shoulder and I find myself sitting down to take the stress off my knees more often when at the range.

Getting old sucks. That's all there is to it. It sucks.

:coffee:

Blacksmith
03-12-2013, 04:19 AM
Recluse

Have you tried the Merit Optical Attachment?
http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html

DRNurse1
03-12-2013, 04:46 AM
I read that the Universe is expanding. Has been since the big bang (I like Isaac Asimov's take on the big bang). Maybe that is why the floors and roofs are getting further apart....!?!

I'm a builder and I've wondered for years how with each passing year rooves get farther off the ground and floors get lower.

Wayne Smith
03-12-2013, 06:39 AM
I haven't tried my Merit since I got the trifocals. Humm, wonder if I can find the right placement?

OeldeWolf
03-13-2013, 02:16 AM
thank you, those are some good observations and suggestions. I used 300 blackout as an examle, as it came to mind.

how about handle modifications for presses? And I understand swaging jacketed 5.56 is easy on a rock chucker press?

I have a thin recoil pad in a pocket sewn into a shooting vest, as a cmp competition with a steel butt plate on a Mauser could leave bruises. But additional is a thought.

bobthenailer
03-13-2013, 07:28 AM
At 65 im only loading up the lead boxes to 50 lb , only like casting for no more than a 1 1/2 hours at a time. It takes me a two hand hold with a handgun to shoot as well as i did with one hand , those shakes are there all the time now! ive dropped 10 points off my Bullseye shooting average from a few years ago which is one of the hardest things to accept as ive shot high master for over 20+ years . I go shooting for fun sometimes 2 times a week but now ony shoot around 150 rounds per trip instead of around 300 .One reason is 2 out of the 3 clubs i belong to are paper targets only as well as no rapid fire!! the other is steel or paper like they used to be even full auto on a limited basis if i go there im back up to 300+ rounds ,im just tired of shooting paper & slow. and it has nothing to do with The lack of ammo or componets.

P.K.
03-13-2013, 07:45 AM
I really don't think you'll need one for the Blackout or any other in the lower ranges, but here are some options:

Recoil Pads: http://www.brownells.com/items/ar-15-recoil-pad.aspx

Hydraulic Buffer: http://www.buffertech.com/Hydraulic-Buffers-C42.aspx

Muzzle Comp: http://www.nokick.com/Rainier_Arms_300_BLK_6_8_XTC_Compensator_p/ra-300xtc-b.htm

William Yanda
03-13-2013, 07:52 AM
.Getting old sucks. That's all there is to it. It sucks.:

Yeah, but its way ahead of the alternative.

Good to see you back Recluse

1Shirt
03-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Yep, like a friend of mine says, getting old just ain't for sissies!
1Shirt!

10x
03-13-2013, 08:12 AM

Indeed, more people tend to mumble more often than not in the past few years. And current gun makers have not found a way to get the factory blurry off the rear sight.
Not to mention my arms have gotten shorter making it difficult to read. Oh, and print is getting smaller too.

The 7.62 x39 in a single shot or a bolt action, or even an SKS will do the same job.
The 300 will feed nicer in an AR15 according to Wikipedia.
When I shoot a bullet weighing 130 grains at 1500 fps, the cartridge case it comes from does not matter - recoil is the same. Felt recoil depends on the mass of the gun. The heavier the gun, the less felt recoil.
I cast and reload for the 7.62 x 39 - that is sort of a communist block miniature 30/06.
And if I could I would have a 300 blackout. Canada is a first world nation with third world gun laws...

Boerrancher
03-13-2013, 08:38 AM
I don't own a 300 black out yet, but am working on building one as soon as parts loosen up a bit. The best reason to go with a 300 black out over all of the other choices for the AR platform, is the fact that it uses .223 rem cases to make, and uses standard mags as well. I really like the 6.8mm a couple of close friends each have one. They shoot really well, are excellent for whitetail here in Mid MO, but, they require a special magazine. You don't pick up just any mag and load 6.8mm in it. With all of the legislation flying around I would not want to be building something that I may not be able to buy or even find mags for in a few years. just my 2 cents worth.

Best wishes,

Joe

OeldeWolf
03-14-2013, 02:37 AM
Some very interesting points, there. Thank you.

Lately, even p[icking up a gallon of milk is getting psainful, so the smasller boxes for lead are definitely in my life to stay. lol