PDA

View Full Version : Pistol primer sizes (warning)

johnstonab
03-10-2013, 03:22 PM
To all the reloaders out there be aware that some manufactures are using small pistol primer pockets on some of there brass that usually uses large primer pockets. These are both 45 ACP cases by the same manufacture. The one on the left is small primer vs the large primer on the right. 63596

GRUMPA
03-10-2013, 03:33 PM
That's been going on now for awhile.

LUBEDUDE
03-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Yeah, for well over a year now when I inspect my brass after tumbling, I flip it over to check for small primers - just in case.

Good post, since we have a lot a new reloaders now.

Bwana
03-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Just as an aside, concerning your statement, "These are both 45 ACP cases by the same manufacture.", that is not quite true. While they both have Federal on the headstamp the one on the left is made on the Speer/CCI machines and the one on the right was made on the Federal machines.

dragon813gt
03-10-2013, 06:32 PM
You are a few years behind. Federal, and the companies under the same corporate umbrella, are the most plentiful SPP brass you will find. But there are others such as Fiocchi that use them as well. This is nothing new and has been known about for years.

shooterg
03-10-2013, 06:37 PM
And some folks LIKE it, so they only need to hoard one size of primer for 9,.38, .45/etc.

ACrowe25
03-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Yep, seen this for awhile. Notice the two colors. Never had them switched between that, smalls seem to always be SPP (as long as I can remember correctly?)

Only spp I've came across so far is: Blazer, 50% Federal, and I THINK Speer if I'm not mistaken.

Though after looking through 1,000s of brass comparing LPP and SPP it's pretty easy to tell the difference.

johnstonab
03-10-2013, 10:45 PM
I realized this had been out there for quite some time reading other forums. I have been reloading .45 APCs for about ten years now and had never seen one. Dad and I were searching for brass online and saw listings for SPP brass and decided to look into it a bit more. After we found this info, I went and looked at a few of his. A few weeks ago we were loading 45s on his press and had a few not get primed. We thought the problem was with his press. Grabbed one of his that we loaded and didn't have a primer, sure enough, SPP.

As was said, this isn't the newest of information but there are tons of new reloaders out here and it is good info to redistribute.

USMC87
03-10-2013, 11:42 PM
I learned real fast when I tried to put large primers in small pockets.

alfloyd
03-11-2013, 12:00 AM
"so they only need to hoard one size of primer"

No, they only need to STOCK UP and STORE one size of primer.

Lafaun

jdgabbard
03-17-2013, 11:31 AM
I keep both sizes. And thats been going on for more than a year or so. This is something that has come on gone for decade from my understanding. It used to be more common in imported ammo. Which may be a sign of something....

ReloaderFred
03-17-2013, 04:03 PM
I have a .45 acp case that is headstamped 1957 that has a small pistol primer. It's Berdan and came from Europe, but it's really nothing new. It's been in transition in the U.S. for about 5 years now.

Hope this helps.

Fred