PDA

View Full Version : chrome bore rechamber?

JHeath
03-10-2013, 01:34 PM
What are the issues in reaming a chromed chamber? I think it requires diamond honing to remove the hard chrome first, no? What kind of hone do I use?

After reaming, is the chrome more likely to strip where it meets the unchromed steel that's been reamed?

In this case, I have a Tokarev pistol. I'm considering reaming the only the chamber neck by a few thou to accommodate .313 boolits. It's a common issue with Toks that the bore is oversize but the chamber neck is too tight for bullets much over .308 - .309.

While at it, I might ream the chamber neck deeper and form long-necked cases (28mm case length) out of 5.56 milsurp brass. The point would be to provide a longer neck for 115gr boolits. It's work forming cases, but if I can get acceptable accuracy I could have .327 ballistics in a 9-shot pistol a little bigger than a 1903 Colt Pocket.

Blanket
03-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Hard chrome will trash even a carbide reamer, a lap may be an option Russ

W.R.Buchanan
03-11-2013, 02:31 PM
In this case there is no good way to remove the chrome, because if you remove it chemicallly then your bore size will increase as well.

You can't just remove some of the chrome as when you put it back there will be a step where the transition from old to new is. If you lapp it out then there will be a transition there and the chrome will peel.

If you did remove it chemically, then ream the chamber to your new specs, then have the barrel sent to a very good chrome outfit that actually knows how to plate the inside of a barrel, all of the inside would be plated to the same depth.

Important note: You would have had to ream the chamber oversize to accomidate the chrome build up from re-plating as well. Your reamer is probably "on size" and not "oversized."

Anytime you are dealing with plating as a final operation all dimensions have to be considered and modified from what the drawing says to include whatever plating you intend to finish with so as to be what the drawing calls for "After Plating."

When dealing with holes you must allow twice the thickness of the plating, when dealing with threads you must allow 4 times the thickness of the plating.

Then you must rely on the skill of the platers to deliver exactly what you ask for, other wise the parts are junk! Been there done this many times!

This may be way more trouble than it is worth. :idea:

Randy

JHeath
03-12-2013, 01:09 AM
Thanks. The above replies tell me exactly what I need to know. I will leave the chome bore alone. I might try with an unchromed barrel. I *really* appreciate both of you sharing your experience.