PDA

View Full Version : Accurate 31-235A in 308

DeanWinchester
03-10-2013, 01:08 PM
So I was posting some first time out results in another thread for this boolit.
It's not a very suitable boolit for the typical 308 in know. Seated as deep as I can without exposing a lube groove, it's still waaaaaay too long for most chambers. I can't get more than 3 rounds in the magazine without it binding which is fine by me. It fits the throat quite well, as most milsurp rifles have roomy throats.

The rifle is an Ishapore with a 1-12 twist.

Starting out with Trail Boss just to see how things shoot, I sized .311, lubed with Bens Red over a charge of 13.0g. I shot 50 (yeah, fifty) rounds as one group and all printed inside 4 inches. They aren't entirely stable as I could see by the oblong holes in the paper. I'm not unhappy about that actually. A boolit that tumbles beats any amount of expansion. Zero leading.

Trail Boss isn't the best powder I know so I'm on the hunt for something a little more suitable. I could always hit the tried and true 10.0g of Unique but I bought a pound of H4350 for a project I'm not going to go through with now.

Reckon H4350 would be a good powder for a 235g plain base boolit? Where would be a good place to start? Not interested in pushing it much past 1400-1500 fps.

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Ben
03-10-2013, 01:40 PM
I personally think the 4350 at any reasonable velocity for the plain base bullet ( less than 1,600 fps ) would burn with so much trash and debris as to be useless.

Step up to 10 grs. of Unique and see what happens.

Also try 14.0 - 15.0 grs. of 2400

That 1 - 12 twist with a bullet that long is going to be a challenge.

Ben

DeanWinchester
03-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks Ben. I'll start on unique next.
I've got Universal and RX7 to try too. BUT, as my experience has gone thus far, there's very little if anything that 10.0g of Unique won't sling acceptably.

Ben, you ever use Universal in rifle? I have about 8 lbs left over from my shotgun days. Need to burn it. It's my understanding it's awful close to Unique. I don't even begin to know where to start on RX7. That's the curse of casting your own I suppose, data can be troublesome.

Thanks again.

Ben
03-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Universal should be fine.
Just look at a burn chart , make some " comparisons ".
Start out " conservative " and move up slowly.

Might be just what you're looking for.

Ben

Marlin Junky
03-10-2013, 03:53 PM
...I don't even begin to know where to start on RX7. That's the curse of casting your own I suppose, data can be troublesome.

Thanks again.

Re7 starts about where 4759 leaves off... hang on a minute while my PC boots up.

OK, here we go... assuming a boolit 1.335", (hope you have a fast twist) a COL of 2.85" and a new batch of Re7 (from a black container), I would start with 16 grains of Re7. If you get significantly more than 1200 fps and too much unburned powder, please let me know (assuming a .308 Win with a 22" barrel).

MJ

DeanWinchester
03-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Awesome guys thanks!

Yeah, it's not a fast twist (1/12) so it's an uphill battle. BUT as I said, not being perfectly stabile is good for me.

Marlin Junky
03-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Awesome guys thanks!

Yeah, it's not a fast twist (1/12) so it's an uphill battle. BUT as I said, not being perfectly stabile is good for me.

I really need to see some 50 and 100 yard targets when you get around to shooting that missile at such a low velocity. I don't think your 1:12" is going to cut the mustard... actually, I don't even think a 1:10" will do it past 50 yards.

MJ