PDA

View Full Version : .32 lovers

leftiye
08-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi Y'all,
This may or may not interest youse guys. But here it is anyway.

After all the lovesick moaning and crooning that I've heard here about .32/20s, and etc. I lost my mind today and thought I'd check at Numrich arms and see what they might have for Kframe S&Ws. Kframe 38s can be had at J&G Sales fairly cheaply- when they have them. Get the ones with the adjustable sights. It's cheaper than installing one later.

They had (in their catalog) .32 long 6" barrels, but no cylinders. On the next page were cylinders for .32 H&R mag Model 16s, and on the next page were 8 3/8" barrels for same (the only length they had). Kinda pricey, about $127 for the cyls, and $140 or thereabouts for the barrels. If any one is interested, after I got through calling Numrich arms, and buying one of each, they still have several of each.

Dale53
08-16-2007, 12:32 AM
leftiye,
I have all of the .32's that I need (and then some[smilie=1:) but I appreciate the information. That might interest someone who has been hoping to score a S&W 16-4 (luck with that one). This will allow them to "get in the game".:-D

Dale53

9.3X62AL
08-16-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm pretty well-stocked with mid-caliber handguns here, But there is always room for one or two more if the price is right. Need has nothing to do with it, but addiction might explain it more succinctly.

leftiye
08-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Dale,
That's how my mind was working when I looked. The 16-4s are rare as hen's teeth. So I figgered that I'd make one so to speak.

I don't have a Ruger double action. I'm prejudiced I guess, I've just never handled one that I liked, except maybe the Redhawks. And I prefer double action revolters. But I LOVE S&W K frames!!!

The Kframe is plenty strong for the hottest .32 caliber too. Unlike many, I like 8" barrels better than anything shorter. The barrels made by Smith for these Kframes weren't very heavy, and with the light recoil the balance & etc. are great to my feel. Even with having to buy the parent gun to modify my cost is still going to be less than the cost of a new S&W titanium 2" snubby in this caliber (shudder).

BOOM BOOM
08-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Hi,
A Frekin Puny 32.
And Here I Thought You Were In Love With The 454.

leftiye
08-16-2007, 06:43 PM
Hey' Can't a MAN love more than just one gat?

Dragoon
08-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Wonder what a good gunsmith would charge to swap the parts out?

kidmma
08-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Why not try a Russian Nagant revolver? They are inexpensive and can be loaded using 32/20 brass and the Lee 7.62 Nagant dies. The revolvers are going for about $100. The reloading is a bit tricky to get everthing just right with the cylinder advance but it shoots a 100 gr DEWC very well. :)
It's not built like a Smith or Ruger though.

Scott

EMC45
08-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Is the 16-4 the K frame Smith with the full under lug?

Dale53
08-17-2007, 02:37 PM
>>>s the 16-4 the K frame Smith with the full under lug?<<<

Yes, it is. They were made with 4" and 6" barrels ( I have the six inch) and I have heard that they made a few with 8" barrels, also. This 6" 16-4 is probably my favorite revolver of all time. That is a bit of a stretch, probably, since I have and REALLY like a number of others[smilie=1: . What is NOT arguable, however, is that I shoot my .32's more than any of the others. They are VERY accurate and pleasant to shoot. Here is the picture of my 16-4 with a Bushnell Red Dot.

Dale53

9.3X62AL
08-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Just like mine, but mine is lacking the "camper shell". Easily my most accurate revolver, and arguably my favorite too. A pig of lead and a pound of powder go a LONG way in this one.

The Nagant 1895 revolvers are an interesting little design, and I can concentrate and ring dinger plates at 35 yards once the front sight and bore line are pointing in the same direction. Its single action trigger is atrocious, and double-action is impossible. Don't look for it on the line at Camp Perry/"any centerfire" venues.

I can't help wondering what Russian servicemen thought when the fine S&W No. 3 variants were pulled from service.......and replaced with these little contraptions. Even more amazing were the Izhevsk and Baikal revolvers put up in 7.62 x 38R for target venues. Just strange.

leftiye
08-24-2007, 05:36 PM
My barrel, and cylinder for an S&W Model 16 from Gun Parts Corp. arrived today. They appear to be new, never installed or fired condition. The barrel has the full length underlug. I had worried a little about it being too heavy, as it is an 8 3/8" barrel. Doesn't seem at this point to be too haevy though. May actually be a better weight than the light ones without the underlug. Not even remotely like the .454 Raging Bool. Thought I'd post this for further info on the parts in .32 cal available at Numrich Arms.

9.3X62AL
08-24-2007, 06:48 PM
The underlug on the Model 16-4's is sorta "overkill" weight-wise, but it feels just right to me shooting offhand. If you've ever tried a Colt Diamondback in either caliber or any barrel length, you would know what I mean. A D-back in 32 Long or Magnum.......let me savor that thought for just a moment. Nice.

Another UGLIER thought here......getting one of those 16-4 cylinders and cutting it to 7.62 x 38R. I already have a K-frame M&P in 32-20, no real vigor in re-doing that idea. No, wait.......I have enough weird-a**ed calibers and projects already, including a Nagant 1895. Never mind.

Scrounger
08-24-2007, 07:25 PM
How about that 5.7x28? None of the other kids have one...

9.3X62AL
08-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Art--

I'm not sure if the FN pistols or rifles are on the Cal-DOJ "approved list" or not. Lack of 10-round mags would make them mucho incorrecto y mala prohibido in the PRC, or at minimum problematic to enjoy. It would make a GREAT rat pistol, and the annoyance to the Birkenstock Bolsheviks in River City would just add to the fun.

Scrounger
08-24-2007, 07:55 PM
I was jokingly referring to converting a K-frame into one... DOJ list restricts guns dealers are allowed to stock and sell. technically a dealer could order one and as long as he kept it on his dealer books, he could shoot it all he wants. Or if someone could convert one from another gun, or if someone living there or moving in from another state had one, it could be legally registered. Stupid law only limits what they can sell, not own. Did you know the state DOJ has a form for people moving in to register their guns with? If I remember correctly, the fee was $14 each but you did not have to take them to a dealer and wait 10 days. Stupid law, like some felon is going to move there and register his guns, or even a legal guy register a prohibited gun... Most people, even good guys, won't even bother to do the paperwork. And they know it... but everyone that falls for it is that much more money into the state pocket.

9.3X62AL
08-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Art--

Yeah, we had masters of the DOJ form at the office for public handout. In my 5 years at Jurupa Station, I think 3 to 5 might have been requested. Folks don't exactly line up to get them, although registration is REQUIRED within 60 days of establishing residency. Total waste anyway.

A wheeler in 5.7 x 28........The K-22 From Hell, and with full-moon clips at that.

leftiye
10-22-2007, 12:47 AM
Hi, Just a note to bring y'all up to date on my project. The cylinder I bought turned out to have chambers that are .339" at the case mouth, and are about an 1/8" longer than .32 mag brass. Plus I wasn't particularly impressed with the loads available for .32 mag. So I started looking at other cartridges that I could rechamber for.

32-20 turns out to have .006" thick case necks which would be blown out to .339" from .323." Too much working of the neck, and the shoulder on a 32-20 is about .340", so It amounts to blowing the shoulder forward more than 1/8' each time it is fired.

.30 Carbine doesn't have a rim so it won't eject from an S&W, though the necks are.012" and that comes out .336 when loaded.

I tossed around making turned down .357 cases into .30 Carbine rimmed, and also just necking down .357 cases with .020" taper, and a .007 shoulder (per side). Would have some case capacity, wouldn't it!

Then I ran across some 7.62 Nagant brass (Starline) at Midway while looking up 7.62X25 Tokarev (.30 Mauser) brass. Turns out this is the exact headsize as the .30 Carbine and has a rim. Home free! Many thanks to 9.3X62 AL for supplying me with the case size data. None of my books has it entered at all.

9.3X62AL
10-23-2007, 12:55 AM
Between "Cartridges of the World"--dies for most of the mid-caliber handguns on hand--and an actual real-live Nagant revolver on staff, you start to notice stuff. I would not be the least surprised that someone at Springfield Arsenal or Winchester didn't take a 7.62 x 38R casing, then remove its rim and cut a rimless extractor groove, and shorten it back to 1.290"........and declare WE NOW HAVE THE 30 U.S. CARBINE CASING. Perfect fit in the Nagant cylinder, no slop or shimmy.

leftiye
10-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Well, wouldn't you know it! Starline is supposed to be reinventing the wheel: redesigning their 7.62 Nagant brass that is- for some reason that's unclear after reading about it on their website. Because of this, none of the reloading sources that I went on had any.

Midway (maybe should change their name to BUBBa's) doesn't even have the decency to say they're out of it on their website. I got an order together, and of course the main item that I wanted, they didn't have. I keep getting blindsided by them this way and hit for double shipping. Not this time, no backorder. Does anybody by any chance know where any might be? Not EVEN interested in that other brand (Bertram's ?) at $1 per!!