PDA

View Full Version : Picked up an old beater part deux

Alan
03-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Wandered into my favorite gun shop on Tuesday last week, and noticed a ratty old Marlin as I wandered down toward the counter. Squinted at the tag and saw that it was the ill-favored .35 Remington. Saw that it was in no better than 95% condition, and a half-magazine to boot, so dismissed it and took care of business (new sight installation for a Win Model 67), and left. Was in again Thursday, and on a whim I asked to see the Marlin. Unhandy 24" barrel. Hmmph. Looked at the barrel and noticed it didn't have the coveted "Microgroove" (tm) stamp. At this point the salesman is almost in tears begging me to take the thing off his hands. Asked to see the Henry .45 Colt next to it. Brand new gun for not much more money. Asked to see the Marlin one more time. Took pity on the guy and hauled the gun home.

Sure enough, checked the serial # when I got home, and discovered that in fact it is a 1950 vintage, and has cut rifling. Gave up all hope of getting any accuracy out of it, and just placed in the corner where I can sneer at it. And pick it up every once in a while & fondle it, oh yesssss!:bigsmyl2:

BruceB
03-10-2013, 11:04 AM
95% condition is "ratty"?

The .35 Remington is "ill-favored"?

"Unhandy 24" barrel"?

Ballard rifling leads to "gave up all hope of getting any accuracy out of it"?

"placed in the corner where I can sneer at it"?

PLEASE tell me that this is all tongue-in-cheek! My Marlin .35 is much like what you describe...condition is closer to 100%, but that's minor. HOWEVER.... it's accurate, fast-handling, and I most certainly don't sneer at it.

I DO hope you're just poking a little fun. If not, I'd bet that the storm is about to descend upon you!

onceabull
03-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Gent (a member here) had wandered through 3/4 of our last gun show with one of those slung over his shoulder B4 arriving at our display..Said he had already taken a raft oof xxxx over his rifle and didn't need to hear any more from us...lost his nerve ,broke down,and almost gave that useless *** to me,to avoid having to carry it back through the crowd..those are about as rarely seen here on the edge of ION country,as they are in the heart of Humboldt River country..Expect I'll have to use an internet auction site to recover any part share of what I had to give him.(If I'm lucky)....Oncebull

izzyjoe
03-10-2013, 11:35 AM
sounds like 336A .35 Rem, i was looking for one for awhile, but i give up cause everyone i found was $600+ sounds like you hit the jack pot!

TXGunNut
03-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Great find. No idea what you'll do with it but now there's more room on the rack for a nice, modern stainless/synthetic bolt gun or maybe even one of those wonderful AR/AK/SKS works of art. :kidding:
How about some pics so we can point & giggle?

Alan
03-10-2013, 12:41 PM
sounds like 336A .35 Rem, i was looking for one for awhile, but i give up cause everyone i found was $600+ sounds like you hit the jack pot!

Bingo. Don't give up. Only took me 20 years of looking....

I order a Lyman receiver sight for it and dies the next day. I knew things were tight, but I couldn't BELIEVE that Midsouth and Midway were out of .35 Rem brass and dies and bullets. Wound up getting a set of cheap Lee dies to tide me over. Found a box of ammo at the gun show. Gonna have to settle for 358156 'til the new group buy ships.

pietro
03-10-2013, 12:53 PM
FWIW, 1950 was the 1st year for the .35 Remington in the Marlin 336.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/Pete44ru/V383.jpg

BruceB
03-10-2013, 12:59 PM
My .35 M336 was made in '51, and has the 20" barrel.

It really makes a very nice and responsive package.

RickinTN
03-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Good find. I bought my first model 336-A last week for a little under $400 in about 90% condition in30-30. It's a 1948 production....first year. I have 35's, but not an "A" model. I guess the search continues.

nekshot
03-10-2013, 01:07 PM
last week I saw a short barreled marlin 35 for the humble price of 799.00. I imagine it was a maurader at that price.

northmn
03-10-2013, 02:10 PM
I went through the same situation. Saw one similar to it in the ill favored 35. Cartridge is only a little less marginal on deer than the 30-30. Tried to find and interesting gun rack for it and found this.
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/Buck%202011/Buck2011002.jpg
Mine had a compass in the stock which got cracked and I would love to replace it. 24" Ballard rifled barrel also and is not all that bad to carry. Now wears a 1.5-4 power "shotgun scope" which my older eyes really appreciate. Did not get this one at a low price but thought that I would likely not see one again.
I have been just shooting factory untill I get a store of Brass. Cartridges are fairly common and not too expensive like the 300 Savage I also like.

DP

jonp
03-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Gent (a member here) had wandered through 3/4 of our last gun show with one of those slung over his shoulder B4 arriving at our display..Said he had already taken a raft oof xxxx over his rifle and didn't need to hear any more from us...lost his nerve ,broke down,and almost gave that useless *** to me,to avoid having to carry it back through the crowd..those are about as rarely seen here on the edge of ION country,as they are in the heart of Humboldt River country..Expect I'll have to use an internet auction site to recover any part share of what I had to give him.(If I'm lucky)....Oncebull

Those are quite common and sought after guns in the Northern New England deer camps I grew up in.

jonp
03-10-2013, 05:48 PM
I went through the same situation. Saw one similar to it in the ill favored 35. Cartridge is only a little less marginal on deer than the 30-30. Tried to find and interesting gun rack for it and found this.
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/Buck%202011/Buck2011002.jpg
Mine had a compass in the stock which got cracked and I would love to replace it. 24" Ballard rifled barrel also and is not all that bad to carry. Now wears a 1.5-4 power "shotgun scope" which my older eyes really appreciate. Did not get this one at a low price but thought that I would likely not see one again.
I have been just shooting factory untill I get a store of Brass. Cartridges are fairly common and not too expensive like the 300 Savage I also like.

DP

Where in the world did you ever get the idea that the 35 Rem is either ill favored or marginal on deer let alone that the 30-30 is marginal? Nothing could be further from the truth.
Nevermind, sarcasm noted.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-10-2013, 11:13 PM
You of course are entitled to your opinion, but a few of your reference points are, in my opinion, simply and plainly, off-base. The 4 groove rifling happens to have done and still does an excellent job in many rifles. It doesn't have to be "micro-groove". The 35 Rem has always had a fine reputation dating back to "back in the day", as an excellent mid-range, medium game cartridge and always was well regarded for deer and black bear. "Ill-favored" is a poor choice of words and it is simply not true. The rifle was popular in its day, handled well in the woods for hunting scenarios, and was considered by many to be a handsome looking rifle. If you are contemptuous of it, don't like it, or continue to sneer at it, then may I respectfully suggest that you sell it or trade it for another rifle that is more pleasing to you. LLS

fordwannabe
03-10-2013, 11:21 PM
UHMM LLS I think you are missing his sacasm here. He is happier than a puppy with two peckers.

Buckshot
03-11-2013, 01:54 AM
UHMM LLS I think you are missing his sacasm here. He is happier than a puppy with two peckers.

............fordwannabe, Could be LSS posted that and then fired off a PM to Alan suggesting he sell the absolutely worthless thing to him? :-) BTW, instead of a puppy I heard it was a Billy Goat 8-)

...............Buckshot

madsenshooter
03-11-2013, 03:14 AM
You of course are entitled to your opinion, but a few of your reference points are, in my opinion, simply and plainly, off-base. The 4 groove rifling happens to have done and still does an excellent job in many rifles. It doesn't have to be "micro-groove". The 35 Rem has always had a fine reputation dating back to "back in the day", as an excellent mid-range, medium game cartridge and always was well regarded for deer and black bear. "Ill-favored" is a poor choice of words and it is simply not true. The rifle was popular in its day, handled well in the woods for hunting scenarios, and was considered by many to be a handsome looking rifle. If you are contemptuous of it, don't like it, or continue to sneer at it, then may I respectfully suggest that you sell it or trade it for another rifle that is more pleasing to you. LLS

If I recall correctly, the cut rifled 336 in 35Rem that I had, had 7 groove rifling.

Alan
03-11-2013, 08:32 AM

One on GB now...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331906653

jonp
03-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Im not sure im that comfy having rounds resting on a metal buttplate right under my head

onceabull
03-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Iffen you don't like that one,perhaps GB #331717126 would suit, and that guy also has a 336-SC listed.. 32 Specials,though,which most of us know are only useful for housecats,and perhaps the smaller coons..Also no inset Compass,which pretty much disqualifies them from any application east of the Ohio River.. Onceabull

pietro
03-11-2013, 02:25 PM

You guys are killin' me....................... :D

Alan in Vermont
03-11-2013, 03:23 PM
............... BTW, instead of a puppy I heard it was a Billy Goat 8-)

...............Buckshot

The way it is said around here is that one is "Hornier than a 10 peckered Billy Goat".

BTDT, but not recently.

jonp
03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
The way it is said around here is that one is "Hornier than a 10 peckered Billy Goat".

BTDT, but not recently.
lol, that's the way I remember the saying but I'm from the Northeast corner of Vermont so maybe its a Vermont thing.

onceabull
03-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Got to be a "Vermont thing" because ten peckered billy goats are NOT news worthy in Texas..in fact ,I think that those were last seen there before WWII,cause they couldn't hold up their end of the gene pool......Onceabull

izzyjoe
03-11-2013, 06:45 PM
i had my heart set on a SC in .35, i've got a 336 RC in 35, but i found a 1953 SC in 30-30, and could'nt be happier.

wv109323
03-11-2013, 09:30 PM
The Marlin 336 in .35 Remington are pretty common in my neck of the woods. I sold a shotgun and thought I would pick up a .35 Remington. I looked in some of the local shops and just found the 30-30. I walked into a pawn shop in Huntington WV and there was a nice one in .35 Remington. The gun was made in the early 80's , was in about 90-92 % condition. There were a couple scratches on the wood, a little wear on the blueing but nothing major. It wore a Tasco 3-9X scope with the "mandatory" see through mounts that are so common in WV. It was a 20" barrel that was Micro-grooved. It was marked $399.00 and I asked the owner what the cash price was. He looked at the tag and then looked at his records and told me $300.00 plus tax. It came home with me.
I bought some j-word bullets and loaded a few rounds. Accuracy was very acceptable. I am in search of a 200 gn. mold so that I can shoot real Boolits through it.
By the way the See-Through mounts came off and I replaced them with a Weaver base and rings. I got the scope down about an inch closer to the bore.

TXGunNut
03-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Iffen you don't like that one,perhaps GB #331717126 would suit, and that guy also has a 336-SC listed.. 32 Specials,though,which most of us know are only useful for housecats,and perhaps the smaller coons..Also no inset Compass,which pretty much disqualifies them from any application east of the Ohio River.. Onceabull

Hmmmm...have one of those anemic .32WS peashooters too, except mine was made by some guy named Oliver that should have stuck with making shirts. :bigsmyl2:

BruceB
03-12-2013, 01:41 AM
Dammit.... how did *I* come to get stuck with these useless, anemic, spit-ball rifles????

My lever guns only include a pair of .32 Specials (Marlin M36 and Winchester M64) and the previously mentioned 336 in .35 Remington. Whatever am I to do with such a useless bunch of scrap iron?

We do have a lot of ground squirrels..... will these cream-puffs harm a ground squirrel? Maybe I could mount bayonets, or beat 'em to death with the butts???

jonp
03-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Dammit.... how did *I* come to get stuck with these useless, anemic, spit-ball rifles????

My lever guns only include a pair of .32 Specials (Marlin M36 and Winchester M64) and the previously mentioned 336 in .35 Remington. Whatever am I to do with such a useless bunch of scrap iron?

We do have a lot of ground squirrels..... will these cream-puffs harm a ground squirrel? Maybe I could mount bayonets, or beat 'em to death with the butts???

What you do is sell them to me. I dont need them but i'll pry up stumps or something with them.

northmn
03-12-2013, 07:13 PM

Timing of this is about right. Got the slip on recoil pad off my 30-30 beater I just acquired and the buttplate was broken off on top. Can only assume maybe the previous owner thought like you did. Spent a little time mounting a thin recoil pad on the rifle just to replace the buttplate. Probably screwed up as the recoil pad is too soft for beating and will have to shoot them up with it. At least it hold 7 rounds.

DP

sandman228
03-13-2013, 12:06 PM
i had a similer situation a while back . a local classified had an old sears model 45 in 35 rem (its a marlin 336) the guy wanted 350 for it . i left it sit i guess everyone else did too . the next week same gun 300 still no takers , the following week it was down to 250 so for ****s and grins i called the guy he said he would take 200 for it he lived about 5 min from me so i went up and looked at it that night . he brings it out its kinda rough didnt look well taken care of and the lever fell open . i didnt really care if i bought it or not so i offered the guy 175 for it for a project gun he said he would take it. i brought it home field stripped it cleaned the 1/4 inch coating of sludge out of the action took the plunger and spring out of the lever cleaned the channel and streatched the spring a bit . so i put it all back together low and behold its all smooth as silk and now the lever dont fall open anymore . i got on a web sight and traced the serial number back to 1964 its a great shooter, now im glad i picked it up and have no regrets buying it . ive cleaned it up a bit stripped the wood and sprayed it with minwax poly satin finish and reblued the barrel with oxpho blue from brownells . it dont look like a new gun but at the same time it came out great looks decent but you can tell its got some age to it . im loading and shooting speer 180 gr fp and my own cast 195 gr rn bullets (.358) from lyman mold 1 1/2-2 1/2 inch groups at 50 yrds open sights . im assuming because of its age this has the older ballard style rifeling and not micro groove ?

northmn
03-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Marlin went to Micro groove sometime in the 1950's but what they did for Sears??

DP

pull the trigger
03-18-2013, 05:34 AM
I can't find one in 30-30, all I see around here is .35s. I already own one and every place I look there are more, hard to believe they are in shortage else where. st. Lawrence river valley in NY.

northmn
03-18-2013, 07:09 PM
I can't find one in 30-30, all I see around here is .35s. I already own one and every place I look there are more, hard to believe they are in shortage else where. st. Lawrence river valley in NY.
About all I ever see is 30-30's and a few 32 Specials. Funny how they can be that regional. When I saw my 35 Remington I jumped on it. Can't say that I ahve seen one since. Occaisional new ones but the used ones are rare.

DP