PDA

View Full Version : 45 acp overall length

enfield
08-15-2007, 06:55 PM
this is my second question of the nite so I hope I'm not exceeding my limit.[smilie=1: I have been loading 45 acp for my norinco with 230 gr lee t/c tumble lubes and rn/hp and was having feeding problems unless I loaded them to about 1.17" O.A.L . I see the spec calls for max length of 1.275 ". Am I seating these too deep, can this cause presure problems ( using about 4 - 5 gr bullsey, 231 etc ) or is it only a problem at the max load range ? thanks.

danski26
08-15-2007, 08:53 PM
I assume a 1911 norinco?

For feed problems in the 1911 the first things i look at are magazine and crimp. I would not go shorter than recomended length as pressures in the small case can rise quickly.

I don't want to argue with anyone. Enfield, I suggest you try a Wilson mag and a taper crimp. I will be surprised if it still has feed problems . (For anyone wanting to argue this advice i suggest you just ignore me) Thats just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck enfield.

rugerdude
08-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Well, 1.17" is a bit short for any 230 gr. bullet that I can find in my manuals. However, Alliant lists an overall length of 1.19" with a 230 gr. lead bullet over 4 gr. of bullseye giving a chamber pressure of 13,900 psi. Hodgdon lists an overall length of 1.20" with the same bullet over 4.3 gr. of 231 giving 12,200 psi and 5.3 gr. giving 16,900. What you have to keep in mind is that seating a bullet just a bit deeper than recommended can drive pressures up very quickly. If you stay with the starting loads or just a bit more (.1 or.2 of a grain tops), you shouldn't have problems. If your gun is +P rated, you will have a bit more room, pressure-wise, to play with. As always, work up carefully and watch closely for any signs of excess pressure.

trickyasafox
08-16-2007, 01:00 AM
for what its worth, i always had problems with feeding if i go over 1.25

KCSO
08-16-2007, 09:19 AM
The Norinco guns sometimes had out of spec barrels with too little leade. This caused the bullet to jam into the rifling and keep the slide from closing. I have had to re cut the chambers on several of these. As long as the bullet won't slide in any deeper you should be all right with your load.

9.3X62AL
08-16-2007, 09:49 AM
In keeping with KCSO's text, I generally load my Lee and other TC designs with about .020"-.030" of the front drive band exposed, then a light taper crimp. This goes for 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm, or 45 ACP. I start low on the powder weight, and work up slowly toward the "standard" velocity of the boolit weight involved. If loading data specific to that boolit/bullet gives a recommended OAL, I start there--but I don't know of any such guidelines for the Lee TC's. I don't have any of the Lee loading literature, though--maybe someone with that source available could help out here.