PDA

View Full Version : How do you use the NOE RG molds?

hornady308
03-10-2013, 01:58 AM
Today I sat around and cast up a bunch of hp boolits using my Lyman 429215 and a new NOE 359-190. Once the lyman got hot, I cast 84 boolits. 81 of them (96%) weighed 207.7 grains (+or- 1.0gr). I thought that was pretty good. Next I got the NOE RG-2 mold hot and cast 100 boolits. 24% weighed 173.1 to 175 grains, 40% weighed 171.0-173.0 grains, 32% weighed 169.0-170.9 grains, and 4 were lighter than 169.0. The problem with the NOE was that I couldn't figure out the best way to open the mold. If I just ripped it open, the mouths of the bullets were torn off. If I tried to open the mold slowly the boolits would get stuck on the non-pin side and it would take precious time to get them out. This allowed the mold to cool down just enough that the next boolits would have a rounded base or the hp would not fill out completely. So, how do you guys use the RG molds? Is there a specific procedure or do you just make it up as you go along?:confused:

.22-10-45
03-10-2013, 02:48 AM
Hello, hornady, with most of my moulds...and they are mostly iron..Ideal/Lyman, Brooks & Leeth, I sometimes tap hinge-pin with small hickory handle at same time my fingers force handles apart.

Blammer
03-10-2013, 03:23 PM
I get my NOE RG's hot enough that it takes a bit for the sprue to cool, then wait a tad or so longer, crack the sprue, making sure I didn't do it too soon as to smear the bottom of the sprue. Or I touch the sprue on a damp towel to cool quicker, I turn upside down, tapping the hing of the handles gently while I open them JUST enough to let the boolits fall out. Most of the time the pins don't even pull on the boolits at all to get them out. Then turn right side up, close quickly, move sprue into place and fill right away.

I think you're opening the mould too far, gently tap it and that should help them fall out and off the pins.

bigboredad
03-10-2013, 04:51 PM
That is the same method I use. Just several little taps and just let the mold open on its own and the bullets will fall off. I have also taken the pins out and tried to smooth them up as much as possible. I also always start with the temp as high as possible and turn it down as needed

wrench
03-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Boy, what a timely thread!
I did my first casting today with a new NOE 45cal mold. Had a heck of a time opening the mold and getting the boolits off the pins without breaking them.
Tried it hot, then cooler, waiting longer and shorter...very frustrating.
Finally figured out the slight opening with tapping routine.
Kind of a pain in the neck, though.
More experimentation is in order.

TCFAN
03-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Just what the others have said..Upside down and tap gently on the handle hinge pin and they drop off easily...........Terry