PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Food

TXGunNut
03-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Seems the comfort food season is about over but it was windy, rainy and a bit stormy tonight; good night for comfort food! Had a wild pig liver thawed and just couldn't help myself. Seasoned up a small bowl of flour and cut a liver from a nice young hog into thin strips. Fried them in Crisco & olive oil and was beginning to wonder if any would make it to the table, I was eating them as soon as they cooled off a bit. Pan fried a few potatoes and a medium onion and I was in hog heaven, so to speak. :mrgreen:
I know liver & onions don't trip most folks' trigger but I figured that was as good a way as any to start a thread about comfort food.

wch
03-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Gumbo!
Seafood gumbo, chicken and sausage gumbo, gumbo yaya, duck gumbo with wild rice-any kind of gumbo is the supreme comfort food!
(And don't forget the red beans and rice!)

L Ross
03-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Came home from ice fishin' in the rain all day. My wonderful wife had a fire in the wood stove and fixed ground venison patties, sauteed home grown aspargus, and home grown heirloom German butter potatoes, baked with butter and sour cream for supper. Washed down with one of her home brewed creepin' charlie brown ales.
Very comforting.

Duke

TXGunNut
03-10-2013, 02:12 AM
Amen to the red beans and rice. I started a pot of frijoles pintos a little late today but they should be ready in time for breakfast. I have some leftover egg/sausage/tater breakfast taco filling that will go nicely with them.

SciFiJim
03-10-2013, 02:51 AM
My ultimate comfort food is skillet fried potatoes. I would add onions, but my wife can't eat them. I add onion powder to the ones on my plate.

Serve these with meatloaf and I will curl up and feel warm and fuzzy afterward.

gbrown
03-10-2013, 09:48 AM
To me, it's all comfort food, just depends on which level of comfortable I want to be. Sausage, eggs and pancakes or Beans and rice with greens and cornbread or Gumbo (about any flavor) or Dirty rice or Sauerkraut and sausage with oven roasted potatoes, or as said, about anything. I love liver, but no one else around here does. I'm going to be home alone for a few days, so it sounds like a good time to make some.

TheGrimReaper
03-10-2013, 11:10 AM
I love good ole Homemade Pinto Beans and cornbread!!! My mouth waters thinking about it. With a little chopped white onion on top.

Love Life
03-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Pulled pork sandwiches!! Oh, and home made wine. This month the raspberry will be ready...

oldscool
03-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Any food that does not induce a gag reflex is "comfort food" to me:bigsmyl2: even if I scream ice cream when it is leaving, it was worth the taste.

Bad Water Bill
03-11-2013, 02:26 AM
For a different flavor try soaking your liver over night in milk.

In the mourning drain & replace the milk.

Now gently pour off the milk and slide the liver from the bowl into the frying pan.

Do NOT try to pick up the liver and put it in the pan as it will come apart in your hand.

Serve with bacon fried sliced potatoes and fried onions.

CAUTION Not responsible for damages done by the RUSH to the table.:bigsmyl2:

Bulldogger
03-11-2013, 10:11 AM
She got a sister?

Came home from ice fishin' in the rain all day. My wonderful wife had a fire in the wood stove and fixed ground venison patties, sauteed home grown aspargus, and home grown heirloom German butter potatoes, baked with butter and sour cream for supper. Washed down with one of her home brewed creepin' charlie brown ales.
Very comforting.

Duke

Kull
03-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Mincemeat pie. Give me a fresh warm piece on a cold snowy winters day and I'll about slip into a coma.

Bad Water Bill
03-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Mincemeat pie. Give me a fresh warm piece on a cold snowy winters day and I'll about slip into a coma.

Add a scoop of ice cream and I will be right there.

DHurtig
03-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Comfort food = home made bean soup. I love those microwave cooking bags too. Put in some green beans or brussel sprouts cut in half with some slivered garlic, sliced onions and a teaspoon of herb butter. Nuke until tender and dust with some parmesan cheese when they come out. That's a meal that'll warm you clear through to your soul. Dale

L Ross
03-11-2013, 06:51 PM
She got a sister?

Sadly no, but she is a rare and unique woman, and I am blessed. All of her cookin' is my comfort food.

Duke

Dale in Louisiana
03-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Gumbo!
Seafood gumbo, chicken and sausage gumbo, gumbo yaya, duck gumbo with wild rice-any kind of gumbo is the supreme comfort food!
(And don't forget the red beans and rice!)

Yessir! Down here in Louisiana, cold, drizzly, nasty weather is called "gumbo weather".

dale in Louisiana

Blanket
03-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Ahh I have so many, Potatoe cakes made with shredded onion, fried pork chops, pork brains cooked as scrambled eggs, a smoked country ham, yeast bread, corn bread with sorgum and milk, Oat meal and toast, and the list goes on Russ

gwpercle
03-12-2013, 07:32 PM
I like a big bowl of chicken and dumplings.
Gary
I enjoy fishing but ice fishing in the rain just ain't right.

Junior1942
03-12-2013, 07:39 PM
She got a sister?+1 on the "she got a sister?" + I'm probably better lookin' than Bulldogger.

Reverend Al
03-12-2013, 08:57 PM
We had a big Turkey dinner with the family last week, so I simmered down the carcass into a nice broth and added carrots, celery, sauteed onions, and handful of various seasonings and a double handful of white rice near the end. Huge big pot of Turkey Vegetable Rice soup that is as thick as a stew! :D
(I froze about 4 containers full of it for quick meals on cold days too ...)

gbrown
03-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Did exactly what I said I was going to do. Home alone (Good grief! It's so quiet!), got a pound of beef liver, floured and seasoned, fried in a little Crisco, made a roux and a good gravy and added thick sliced onions. Threw the liver back in and smothered it down. Whoooeee! Was it comfort food or ecstasy? I'll try it again tonight and see.

Bulldogger
03-13-2013, 11:57 AM
+1 on the "she got a sister?" + I'm probably better lookin' than Bulldogger.

Hey, my nickname is from raising bulldoggs, not looking like them! :-D

Anyway, sounds like we're both out of luck.

BDGR

Bad Water Bill
03-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Even my Girty is better looking than that guy from Looozianer.:bigsmyl2:

TXGunNut
03-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Did exactly what I said I was going to do. Home alone (Good grief! It's so quiet!), got a pound of beef liver, floured and seasoned, fried in a little Crisco, made a roux and a good gravy and added thick sliced onions. Threw the liver back in and smothered it down. Whoooeee! Was it comfort food or ecstasy? I'll try it again tonight and see.

Sounds great! Still have another pork liver in the freezer, may have to try it your way next weekend. I'll have to go ahead and pan-fry the potatoes in another skillet. Shouldn't be a problem, plenty of cast iron around here.

gbrown
03-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Sounds great! Still have another pork liver in the freezer, may have to try it your way next weekend. I'll have to go ahead and pan-fry the potatoes in another skillet. Shouldn't be a problem, plenty of cast iron around here.

Yessir. You nailed it! First night was over rice (SETX/SWLA staple), with broccoli/tomato salad, second was with home fries in the skillet and another b/t salad. Comfort food to the MAX!

Gliden07
03-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Shepard's Pie made with ground Venison cooked in Bacon fat (crumble bacon up) a little bit of oil garlic onion salt and pepper, Cheddar cheese soup mixed in meat, Corn and Mashed Potatoes topped with some shredded Cheddar cheese and the crispy bacon. Pour meat mixture into baking dish layer corn on then the mashed Potatoes throw some shredded cheddar on and the crumbled bacon. Cook at 350 45 min or so until heated thru and the cheese is golden and crispy! This works good with chicken or Turkey too!! Also you can omit Cheddar Cheese soup and add a little flour to meat and some water or milk to get a gravy then assemble the same way! Works good with Venison Stew meat cut small too!!

rush1886
03-18-2013, 09:25 PM
polish sausage & sauerkraut, both preferably homemade, over a pile of garlic smashed potatoes! simmer up the sausage in a splash of ale, and pour that over the kraut, slice up the sausage, mix into the kraut, bake while fixin up the taters!! don't forget a good glob of butter on the taters, before pouring on the sausage and kraut!

finish up with extra sharp cheddar shredded over hot apple pie, & a cup of fresh PERKED joe, sweetened with a splash of ameretto!!

country gent
03-23-2013, 12:39 AM
I make a really good bean soup. Ham Hocks smoked then cooked in the slow cooker over night on High with bones in. Get up in the morning and shread meat off bones add to broth add soked navey beans and set to low. Salt and pepper to taste shread up a little carrot and dice a little onion also. Let simmer till suppertime. Serve with cornbread real butter and mollassas. I take a pot over to mom and dads and thier waiting at the table LOL. I smoke the ham hocks for 2-3 hours over apple wood chips at a temp of around 180 degrees. To give them that flavor. What a way to warm up a winter evening.

gbrown
03-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Lordy, lordy. Whew! Just finished a plate of smoked baby back ribs, nice helping of sauerkraut (homemade and heated in a little bacon grease) and some potatoes boiled to just done with onion, garlic and salt. Makes me think of my old buddy, Claude, "Wonder what the rich folks are having tonight?" Cardioligist might not put it on the "heart healthy" diet, but who cares? I'm sure there's better fare, just can't figure out where that might be. Like fatnhappy, Fat and Happy! LOL

TXGunNut
03-24-2013, 12:59 AM
Made a pot of beans today; 1# pintos, soaked onernight. Into the crock pot with a can of Rotel and two cans of chicken broth. Simmer all day. It really is that simple! Served them over steamed rice with cornbread on the side and shredded Mexican cheese blend on top.
Yep, I had a second bowl! Will spoon them over scrambled eggs, taters, homemade sausage & cheese tomorrow morning, top them with hot sauce and sour cream and roll the whole mess up in a soft flour tortilla.
I have a nearly famous garlic smashed potato recipe but it's late, mebbe another time. It's getting late and I'm already excited about breakfast.

TheGrimReaper
03-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Yep, babyback ribs are mighty fine eating.

Jim
03-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Janet makes a chicken & rice casserole that I would draw on ya' for the last serving.

Dale in Louisiana
03-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Today's menu is catfish courtbouillion. That's Cajun, and lest you break a tooth trying to pronounce it, it's close enough to "coo-be-yawn" to keep you out of trouble.

Use of a courtbouillion for poaching things like fish is an old technique. The french gave it a name, but in classic french cooking, the flavorful liquid is made, brought to a boil, simmered for the flavors to develop, then the fish (or other meats like chicken breast or shrimp) is put into it, poached, and then removed for serving. The liquid never gets to the table.

My Cajun ancestors said, "Oh, no! If it's good enough to cook in, then it's good enough to serve," especially since frugal Cajuns had grown/canned/paid for the stuff in the pot.

Today's version takes a full-sized can of diced tomatoes, a can of tomato paste, a can of tomato sauce, a medium onion, chopped, a handful of chopped celery and a handful of chopped green pepper. A little chopped garlic won't hurt.

I put some grease in my cast iron four-quart pot by the expedient of frying down three slices of bacon. The grease stays in the pot. The cook gets the bacon as a reward for effort. Saute' the veggies in the grease over medium heat until the onions are translucent. Don't put the garlic in until you're almost finished with the veggies. Salt, pepper, (cayenne too!) and add the tomato products and a full tomato can of water. Simmer two or three hours while you do something else. Sample a bit to adjust the salt and pepper levels.

About half an hour before serving, scoop a couple of cups of the liquid. place the fish on top of the remaining simmering liquid, pour that two cups back over the fish, put the lid on, and go sit down and talk for half an hour. Don't you DARE stir.

Oh, you DID make a pot of rice, didn't you? Cajuns eat this over rice, and in my end of the state, that's medium grain.

Okay, here's the end of it. You got a pot of rice and a pot of courtbouillion. Grab a plate, dump a big scoop of rice on it, and then scoop a piece of fish and some of the wonderful red sauce. Go sit down and eat.

We usually had home-made pickles, some sort of vegetable, and any of several cold beverages.

I grew up with this recipe, always cooked with wild catfish caught from the nearby bayou. You can use farm-raised catfish, but the flavor is not quite the same. You can use any white fish. And like I said, you can use chicken breast, which is nice. Or you can use shrimp. Or you can let your imagination run wild. Just remember, this is a form of poaching, so you want something that starts out tender because you're only cooking it a little while.

dale in Louisiana

(And you'll find variations on this recipe. This is my version.)

gbrown
03-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Not to get cross ways with you Dale, but I was always told coubeyon was the "Poor man's" version of courtboullion. If you look up an old, original version of the courtboullion, it was the King's Court seafood soup (or chowder) made with some pretty exotic stuff. You Cajuns took the basic recipe and added what was available--like catfish, shrimp or oysters. We took big catfish caught on trotlines and fileted them out--saved the carcass and on a cold winter night, boiled the carcasses, strained the broth and removed the bones, and cooked the ingredients, as you described, added the 2 together, and about 20 minutes before serving, added chunks of catfish. Boiled for 10 minutes, let it rest for 10 minutes and then served. Really the ultimate comfort food, right ahead of a turkey/chicken rice soup (rather thick) or the Vietnamese Pho chicken soup (Pho Ga). Just right for a cold winter night.

Dale in Louisiana
03-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Not to get cross ways with you Dale, but I was always told coubeyon was the "Poor man's" version of courtboullion. If you look up an old, original version of the courtboullion, it was the King's Court seafood soup (or chowder) made with some pretty exotic stuff. You Cajuns took the basic recipe and added what was available--like catfish, shrimp or oysters. We took big catfish caught on trotlines and fileted them out--saved the carcass and on a cold winter night, boiled the carcasses, strained the broth and removed the bones, and cooked the ingredients, as you described, added the 2 together, and about 20 minutes before serving, added chunks of catfish. Boiled for 10 minutes, let it rest for 10 minutes and then served. Really the ultimate comfort food, right ahead of a turkey/chicken rice soup (rather thick) or the Vietnamese Pho chicken soup (Pho Ga). Just right for a cold winter night.

I've seen it spelled many ways on menus and in cookbooks and recipes, but the original spelling was "Courtbouillion" and the pronunciation is essentially identical in both Cajun and classic french. It's kind of like seeing 'sabayon' for a dessert recipe in one book and "Zabaglione" in another: Same recipe, just some folks can't (or won't) be bothered with the correct spelling.

Either way, the recipe is good.

Courtbouillion from my family was always tomato-based. Courtbouillon in classic french cooking is a technique and contents of recipes vary widely from simple and light to more robust versions.

BTW, I' am a big fan of pho. Was thinking about opening up a diner, naming it Pho King, so I could use the slogan "Pho King - Best Noodles in Southwest Louisiana.

dale in Louisiana

TES
03-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Fried / blackened bologna sandwiches with sauteed onions and vinegar soaked peppers. Toast the bread melt a thick slice of cheddar and add mustard......dang...ooh and home made fries with plenty of salt and pepper.

gbrown
03-30-2013, 04:04 PM
I've seen it spelled many ways on menus and in cookbooks and recipes, but the original spelling was "Courtbouillion" and the pronunciation is essentially identical in both Cajun and classic french. It's kind of like seeing 'sabayon' for a dessert recipe in one book and "Zabaglione" in another: Same recipe, just some folks can't (or won't) be bothered with the correct spelling.

Either way, the recipe is good.

Courtbouillion from my family was always tomato-based. Courtbouillon in classic french cooking is a technique and contents of recipes vary widely from simple and light to more robust versions.

BTW, I' am a big fan of pho. Was thinking about opening up a diner, naming it Pho King, so I could use the slogan "Pho King - Best Noodles in Southwest Louisiana.

dale in Louisiana

Yeah, no matter how it is spelled or you use tomato or not, it's all good. I like the slogan, but with my demented mind, I would make it the "Best Pho King Noodles in SW Louisiana." With the Vietnamese population along the coast, I'm surprised there aren't a ton down there already.

Edubya
03-30-2013, 06:15 PM
I've never known a Cajun that didn't think he/she was the best cook on earth! Cajuns and Italians, they have a well deserved reputation.
You guys are making me hungry and I just through eating dinner.

EW

smokeywolf
03-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Picked up a pork shoulder and a pound of beer brats from the local meat market a couple of weeks ago. Gave the pork shoulder a good rub down with a combination of yellow mustard, country mustard, homemade Tonkatsu sauce and "Butt Rub" & crushed black pepper. Left overnight in the fridge. At 5:00 AM I filled the firebox up with mesquite charcoal and fired up the smoker. When the temp reached 300 deg. I filled my water pan with frozen concentrated apple juice, added a couple of split logs of apple wood to the firebox and put the pork on. Temp came down to 250 from opening up the firebox and cooking chamber; let it cruise on down to 220. Made a pot of coffee and sat down next to the smoker with a big mug of coffee and a coupe of homemade cranberry-orange scones. About 11:00 AM I broke out the chips & homemade bean dip and cracked open my first beer. At 1:00 I put some marinated broccoli, mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes in the smoker and of course, the beer brats. Plus I put a batch of small red potatoes spiced with garlic, salt & pepper and olive oil and wrapped up in aluminum foil on the top rack of the smoker.
Took the brats off at about 2:10. The Mrs. had never had beer brats before; she was in heaven.
The pork reached 190 deg. internal at about 2:45. I was going to send some pulled pork over to the neighbors but it disappeared so fast I'm just going to have to do another one.

smokeywolf

gbrown
03-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Whoa! Comfort Food or ecstacy? Sounds like a day well spent! I feel like an over stuffed Pig/Chicken/Turkey?, just reading that! I love the veggies! I do Mushrooms, Onions, Summer squash, potatoes, garlic, bell peppers, and green onions with a lot of seasoning and a stick of butter in a disposable aluminum roaster (sealed).

smokeywolf
03-30-2013, 11:56 PM
A day spent eating chips and dip, drinking beer and sitting by the smoker is one of my favorite ways of wasting time.
The Mrs. made chili and cornbread tonight; no venison, but still real good. Ham and candied yams of course for Easter. Mrs. smokeywolf is an amazingly good cook. The marinade we use for veggies and sometimes cubed beef is: lite soy sauce, chopped garlic, brown sugar, and sesame oil. We call it "Mouth-Watering Marinade".
I'm going to smoke a tri-tip, veggies, potatoes and some more brats on Monday or Tues.
I too love liver & onions. But alas, no one else in the house will touch liver; even the wolf.

smokeywolf

Larry D.
04-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Dang!
I'd like to eat with any of you guys.

For me:
Breakfast would be biscuits & sausage gravy, once in a blue moon it could be chocolate gravy.
Dinner would be a fried bologna (bloney) sandwich
Supper could be beans & hocks, sausage & kraut, chicken broccoli casserole (over rice), ribs of almost any kind, or a good pot roast. Any of these with good veggies and some fried potatoes.

472x1B/A
04-06-2013, 10:34 PM
comfort food= fried eggs over easy on a bowl of steamed rice with sliced sarono hot peppers and a little soy sauce for any meal. For a little change add some chopped fried liver bits.

nanuk
04-08-2013, 07:51 PM
comfort food

fresh bread, toasted, slathered in butter

fried eggs over easy

layer egg on toast, and blacken with pepper!

eat!

fast, and Oh, so good!

TXGunNut
04-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Don't think I've posted these breakfast recipes around here, doubt they're original but I developed them on my own, FWIW. Both are very flexible, more of a formula than a recipe:

Breakfast Tacos, serves about 4

1. Saute 1/2 lb breakfast sausage in a 12" cast iron skillet. I prefer home made sausage, just cook it til it's grey and set it aside...we'll get back to it.
2. Increase heat a smidge and add 2-3 Tbs ea of olive oil and butter, when it gets hot add 2-3 medium diced potatoes and brown.
3. Add 2 grocery store jalepenos, thinly sliced. If you swipe one from my garden, stick with just one.
4. Add the partially cooked sausage and 3-4 sliced fresh mushrooms. Stir until all are hot. Season to taste. Hint: BAM!
5. Scramble 4-6 eggs and pour into skillet. Stir 2-3 times. Slide a stack of soft flour tortillas into the microwave for at least 1 minute.
6. When the eggs are thoroughly cooked throw a big handful of Mexican blend cheese on top and turn off the burner.
7. Hurry to the table with the sizzling skillet and serve with warm tortillas, sour cream and salsa.
8. Cancel lunch.

TXGunNut
04-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Thought I'd save the next dish for tomorrow night but I still have a full glass of wine, so here goes. Wish me luck on the editing. This recipe is also very flexible. Bacon, different cheeses, salsa, you get the idea.

Sunday Morning Breakfast Sandwiches (serves two)

1. Toast 4 slices of bread or a couple of sandwich rounds.
2. Saute 3 sliced fresh mushrooms in a little olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. When brown spread on two slices of bread, top with provalone cheese slice.
3. Reduce heat to medium and fry a 2-3 oz sausage patty. Slide onto the base of the sandwich, top with another (!) slice of cheese, I like Swiss or pepperjack.
4. Fry a couple of eggs, over easy for a nice messy sandwich! Season with a dash of Tabasco. Slide one on top of each growing sandwich.
5. Spread a bit of mayo or verde sauce on the top slice of bread and place on top of your little monuments to cholesteral.
6. Enjoy!
7. Once again, cancel lunch.

fourarmed
04-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Makes me think of a big skillet of venison sausage gravy and a batch of biscuits.

TXGunNut
04-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Makes me think of a big skillet of venison sausage gravy and a batch of biscuits.

Now you're talking!

Shiloh
04-14-2013, 09:33 AM
+1 on the "she got a sister?" + I'm probably better lookin' than Bulldogger.

How's things down on the bayou Junior?? I would imagine your comfort food starts with something you hooked or shot eh??

Shiloh

TXGunNut
04-19-2013, 10:18 PM
How's things down on the bayou Junior?? I would imagine your comfort food starts with something you hooked or shot eh??

Shiloh

Works for me!

timberhawk
04-22-2013, 09:03 AM
This is something we fix at the deer lease 'cause it's easy.

Cube two or three potatoes
Chop an onion
Cut a pound of summer sausage into bite size chunks

Pan fry the potatoes and onions and set aside

Fry the summer sausage. Drain and combine with the potatoes and onions.

Pour a can or two of your favorite beans into the mix and reheat. (I like Ranch Style beans, but my wife likes Pork & Beans)

Season with salt and pepper and enjoy.

You just can't go wrong with fried potatoes and onions!

jaysouth
04-25-2013, 09:35 AM

In my last restaurant, we could get 10-12 lb whole salmon at a good price. They arrived gutted but otherwise whole. I would filet them out and use the meat in three or four different menu items. Only the skin was discarded. In a very large pot, I would sweat a couple of quarts of diced root vetetables (mirapoux). When the carrots onions and celery were 'shining' and gave off a strong aroma, the salmon bones and head went into the pot with a bottle of white wine. After boiling for a couple of hours, the pot got strained and the boullion frozen for future use.

The things that I poached in that fish stock (fume blanc) were amazing. Poached eggs for the oysters benedict, salmon filets, and vegetables to be served with fish dishes. It was also the stock for several soups and sauces. One of the dishes that gave me bragging rights was soft shell crab eggs benedict. When the hardshells started to molt in May, I put these on the menu every day that my supplier had them available. I poached the softshell in the fish bouillion, served it over a thin shaved slice of country ham on an english muffin, put an egg poached in the bouilion on top of that and covered it with hollandaise sauce. I never had to throw away a soft shell.

Making the bouillion or fume or fish stock needs only fish scraps, some root vetetables and a little white wine or dash of vinegar. Any fish works. If you have saved some shrimp shells or mussel shells, throw those in also and boil away. What you can cook in it only limited by your imagination. The fish stock, thickened with roux with herbs added also makes an outstanding sauce for serving over fish. If you are serving a fish dish, use the stock to boil green beans or asparagus to be served on the side. Ditto for rice or boiling potatos served with fish.

Moonie
04-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Ran my smoker this week in preparation for our bible study tonight. Brisket and Butt. Pulled Brisket at 193F to slice, wrapped and held for 3 hours before going in the fridge. Pork at 205F for pulling and sauced Lexington NC style. Sampled the pork, it's perfect, the brisket will be sliced tonight to share with my friends.

smokeywolf
04-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Moonie, you use rubs, sauces, marinades or combination on your Pork butts and briskets?

smokeywolf

steg
04-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Can't beat the so called "peasant food", simple ingredients and a labor of love.

Moonie
04-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Moonie, you use rubs, sauces, marinades or combination on your Pork butts and briskets?

smokeywolf

I use a wet rub on my brisket, lots of cayenne, some Worcestershire, brown sugar, some tabasco and a few other things. I've actually found that I prefer the pork butt naked when it goes in the smoker. I've used lots of different rubs on it in the past but when I've been lazy and used nothing people liked it the best.

I do use a Lexington NC style dip on the pulled pork once its pulled.

TXGunNut
04-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Can I perch on a stool in your kitchen some weekend, Jaysouth? As soon as I win the lottery I'm going to spend a few years in culinary schools but I'm thinking I could learn a few tricks from you.

smokeywolf
04-27-2013, 09:16 AM
We're pressure canning sirloin tip right now and steaming artichokes. Both of these will contribute to our breakfast this morning.

I too would like to take of few lessons from Jaysouth.

smokeywolf

SciFiJim
04-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Sometime the best comfort foods are the simplest.

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt47/SciFiJim_photobucket/IMG_20130426_134955_zps6a921cd1.jpg (http://s596.photobucket.com/user/SciFiJim_photobucket/media/IMG_20130426_134955_zps6a921cd1.jpg.html)

The first localy grown strawberries of the season.
The smell is awesome. They taste even better.

Artful
05-01-2013, 12:44 AM
Kraut baruck aka Kraut burgers or German cabbage & meat stuff rolls...
Imagine if you will a large browned roll - when you bite into it you find cabbage and ground meat spiced to perfection -
They could be found frozen in Mom's freezer to be popped into the microwave -
They could be found in your backpack after a long mornings walk through the woods -
They could be made on a cold dismal rainy day to make the house smell like home.
Often times when baked the stove did alternating duty between Kraut barucks and chocolate chip cookies.

If you want my poor substitute for my mom's hand made ones -
buy frozen roll or bread dough - let thaw

Filling ingredients
Buy hamburger (3 lbs) and Sausage (1 1/2 lbs) - I've taken to using sweet or spicy italian sausage links and just cut them out of the casings.
Dice fine an Onion - preferably sweet white but nice red will work as well
One Large heads of green cabbage shredded (you can actually find this in a bag for cabbage slaw)
Now seasoning is up to you my relatives all put in salt and pepper some add dry mustard some put in extra garlic, I've even added caraway seeds
some use Onion Soup mix - some put in shredded cheese in the cooled mix , you can add celery or other veggies if you so desire but be aware it might not freeze and thaw well like the cabbage does.
You first spice and mix and then brown/crumble the hamburger & sausage in a large pan then add the cabbage and cover until wilted (7-10 min) - set aside to cool and drain then add cheese if your going too

preheat the oven set to 350 F

take the thawed dough and make into rolled out squares about 5x5 then take about 1/3 to 3/4 cup of mix and put in center of square... amount depends upon how well you can stretch your dough ;^)
fold edges up and seal the seams of the dough around the mix. (get out all the air you can) sort of a very large pouch now.

then place seam side down on cookie sheet and let rise in a warm place usually 15-20 and then put in oven for 15-20 min until golden brown - you can brush with butter to enhance the browning.

Then try and wait for them to cool before sampling.

Found in illustration from the WWW
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/original-lauer-kraut-burgers-recipe/index.html

Artful
10-04-2013, 03:09 PM
I made some of the German cabbage & meat turnovers today - used my bread machine to make the dough
as I wanted a more sturdy dough I used 1 cup of white bread machine flour, 1 cup of spelt flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour.

Outpost75
10-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Bangers and mash with roast carrots and soda bread with onion gravy, washed down with a pint of Harp lager!

taco650
10-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Guess I'm too simple but a good mixed meat pizza and some cold beers are on my list. Homemade ice cream on almost any pie or cake is right up there too. Pancakes slathered in real butter and real maple syrup with good dark coffee and a side of thick sliced bacon is a great way to start the day... or finish it ;-).

bikerbeans
10-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Screamin' hot whitetail chili and cornbread with a couple of cold brews. I am in the "zone" with this food because I only have it at deer camp. The chili I make at home has to be toned down for mortals to eat.

BB

jaysouth
10-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Decent New England clam chowder, Corned beef and cabbage, meatloaf, chili over spaghetti, chicken pot pie, fried chicken, White bean stew called Cassoulet, Fried catfish and hushpuppies, beef stew, beef tamales, Gumbo, fried okra, fresh green beans cooked with hamhock, biscuits with gravy, roast beef and mashed potatoes, .........................Hmmmmmm......always wondered why I am so plump, it's ALL comfort food to me.

dragonrider
10-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Peanut butter on whole wheat with homemade blueberry or peach jam and a slice of American cheese. That is my comfort food.

MaryB
10-07-2013, 09:55 PM
beef stew with biscuits to dip in it, lots of butter on the biscuits.

TXGunNut
10-07-2013, 10:04 PM
I guess it is that time of year again, crock pot is coming out of reirement soon, very soon!

JWFilips
10-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Cotton Tail Rabbit w/ Brown Gravy & Dumplins.... Stuffed veal pocket ( what ever the heck that Was! ) Kidney Soup, & tripe in sauce The Stuff I was raised on! ...Oh Yeah Calves brains with eggs & "pluck soup" what ever the heck that was ! These are my childhood comfort food memories.
& I do remember my early life Friday supps with my Dad.... Consisted of a bowl of fresh Farmers butter milk ( huge chunks of butter) and a plate of smashed potatoes to be dipped in it. Those days are gone now Can't buy the proper meats because of government regs

Love Life
10-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Tonight was a big ol' plate of tacos!! I love me some tacos (beef tongue), and the Mrs. makes them even though she hates them.

Artful
10-08-2013, 12:57 AM
Now how on earth did you get her to do that if she hates 'em?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Love Life
10-08-2013, 03:02 PM
I'm incredibly good looking with natural golden hair. That's about the only reason I can think of.

MaryB
10-09-2013, 12:10 AM
Beef stew sounded good plus a found a roast in the freezer that needed using badly. I had to trim a little freezer burn off but considering it was from fall 2011... ended up very tasty, almost like it had dry aged some.

waksupi
10-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Beef stew sounded good plus a found a roast in the freezer that needed using badly. I had to trim a little freezer burn off but considering it was from fall 2011... ended up very tasty, almost like it had dry aged some.

Freezer burn doesn't scare me at all. I have found some things in the bottom of my freezer an archeological team would have liked to discover. I still have wooly mammoth and sabre tooth tiger steaks in there, I think. A bit of time marinading, and you can save nearly anything!

TXGunNut
03-23-2014, 11:07 PM
Scored half a venison liver from the deep freeze late last week, sure ate well this weekend! Liver & onions with a big side order of fried taters. Got so excited I forgot to put salt & pepper in the flour so I just hit it good when it came out of the oil. Kitchen was a mess when I got done but I didn't care. :-)

Col4570
03-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Beef stew and Dumplings.