PDA

View Full Version : Uberti 1885 replicas

badgeredd
03-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Does anyone have a low or high wall replica by Uberti? If so, what do you think of them?

littlejack
03-09-2013, 06:26 PM
I have the Highwall 45-70. I am not like a lot of fellas here that have the $$$$$$$$$ to get one of those fine made in USA rifles.
I like my rifle very much. It was put together nicely, fit and finish is very nice. The load that these fellas here on the forum helped me work up shoot great with the charcoal. I have one target that has one raged hole with 5 shots at 100 yards, using the CHEAP David Pedersoli mid range sight.
Don McDowell, Kenny, Rick, Montana Charlie are all well established men on the forum with the black powder rifles. There ARE a lot more shooters here, so you will not have any problem with input. All that being said, the first four are NOT big fans of the Pasta Rifles.
One of the members had a lot of trouble with his Cimarron 38-55. I believe it was Buckshot. Correct me Buckshot if I am wrong.
Reguards
Jack

Kraschenbirn
03-09-2013, 06:59 PM
I've had my Uberti .38-55 Highwall for three or four years with no complaints. Fit and finish are every bit as good as my Pedersoli RB and yesterday...Lee Shaver sights, shooting off cross-sticks...I put ten consecutive rounds inside a 2"x2" sighter square @ 100M.

There once was a long 'sticky', initiated by Buckshot, on the topic but I don't seem to be able to locate it.

Bill

badgeredd
03-09-2013, 07:15 PM
I've had my Uberti .38-55 Highwall for three or four years with no complaints. Fit and finish are every bit as good as my Pedersoli RB and yesterday...Lee Shaver sights, shooting off cross-sticks...I put ten consecutive rounds inside a 2"x2" sighter square @ 100M.

There once was a long 'sticky', initiated by Buckshot, on the topic but I don't seem to be able to locate it.

Bill

Sounds like some decent shooting to me. I looked for the sticky or thread and couldn't find it either. Thanks.

badgeredd
03-09-2013, 07:17 PM
I have the Highwall 45-70. I am not like a lot of fellas here that have the $$$$$$$$$ to get one of those fine made in USA rifles.
I like my rifle very much. It was put together nicely, fit and finish is very nice. The load that these fellas here on the forum helped me work up shoot great with the charcoal. I have one target that has one raged hole with 5 shots at 100 yards, using the CHEAP David Pedersoli mid range sight.
One of the members had a lot of trouble with his Cimarron 38-55. I believe it was Buckshot. Correct me Buckshot if I am wrong.
Reguards
Jack

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the answer.

Don McDowell
03-09-2013, 07:46 PM
I had a 38-55 with the double set triggers. It was not a bad gun, but for the money of a brand new one I'ld sure be chasing down one of the recent Winchester/Miroku's.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-09-2013, 08:28 PM
I have a Uberti Hiwall in 38-55 which I bought from Jon K several years ago. It has a Lee Shaver tang sight. I love it. I own several single shot rifles and if it came to pass that I had to give up all but one it would be most difficult to pass on this one.

rbertalotto
03-09-2013, 09:17 PM
I have a Uberti High Wall in 38-55 and a Winchester (Japan) BPCR in 45-70..........The Uberti shoots like a Benchrest gun. Amazing accuracy. I never got the Winchester to shoot worth a darn. I have 6 other 45-70 rifles that are all acceptable to extremely accurate. Just never could get the Winny to cooperate!

ktw
03-09-2013, 10:23 PM

This was the sticky thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?19451-Uberti-1885-38-55&highlight=uberti+1885

I had a single trigger version of the rifle and am satisfied with it. Buckshot bought the double set trigger version and had problems with it.

-ktw

John Boy
03-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Own 2 Uberti HiWalls: 45-70 and 38-55 DST - shoot all black powder reloads
* 45-70 shoots accurately to 1000yds using a vernier rear sight
* 38-55 shoots accurately to 500m using the Ideal 375166 bullet
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/38-55/Ideal375166.jpg

Here's the stock on the 38-55:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/38-55/ButtstockFigure.jpg

littlejack
03-10-2013, 12:39 AM
John Boy, that is some nice wood.
I would have liked to have gotten the pistol grip stock like yours when I bought mine, but there was none on the rack. I will have to be on the lookout for one floating around.

Cap'n Morgan
03-10-2013, 04:14 AM
I have an Uberti 1885 in 45-70. The firing pin is slightly off center, and combined with a weak mainspring the gun would fail to fire every other time - Strangely the seller never mentioned this little problem:shock: - The mainspring is made from piano wire and putting a bend on it cured the problem. Other than that it's a nice rifle.

badgeredd
03-10-2013, 10:13 AM
This was the sticky thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?19451-Uberti-1885-38-55&highlight=uberti+1885

I had a single trigger version of the rifle and am satisfied with it. Buckshot bought the double set trigger version and had problems with it.

-ktw

Thanks...that is very helpful.

Edd

6.5 mike
03-10-2013, 02:25 PM
I have one in 30-40 Krag I got from a member here. 30" bbl, single trigger, nice wood. It is a good shooter & turns heads when it comes out of the case. The only fault was a heavy trigger, but not all that hard to fix. I do wish someone made a single set one for them. I added Lee Shaver front globe & his midrange soule rear sights. Mine likes 200 gr pp'ed. Planning on working up a light gallery load this year with a 311410 only cuz it's the lightest 30 cal mould I have.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-10-2013, 03:33 PM
John Boy, I think it would be a grand gesture on your part or as the French would say, la beau geste if you would trade your Uberti butt stock for mine. After all it is common knowledge that well figured wood is much less stable than straight wood which sadly leads to poor accuracy. Also when you consider that I am a Korean War vet, almost homeless waif and all around nice guy, you must ask yourself, why not? I should add that another sandy might hit at anytime and blow your beautiful rifle over into NEW YORK CITY.

badgeredd
03-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Well guys you've convinced me to go ahead with ordering the Uberti Low Wall I've been looking at. I decided to get a Low Wall in 38-40...just because ...

I really don't need a larger caliber as I have more than enough BIG rifles to set my shoulder back for years, but I dearly love the Winchester 1885 design so I'm gonna take the leap. Thanks for all of your input. It is appreciated.

larryp
03-10-2013, 07:38 PM
I love my Uberti Hi wall. Cal .45-70. Bought it from a pawn shop for $600 and it shows only slight signs of use. Still working up a good handload for it but it does well with the various factory loads I've used.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/lwrnc1963/hiwall001.jpg

march41
03-10-2013, 11:47 PM
I have 2 Umberti highwalls a 40/65 and a 45/70 they both shoot 1" at 100yds.The wood is outstanding on both,but not up to Johnboys. The 45/70 has a tang sight rear and globe front,the 40/65 has my MVA scope on it.I like the 40/65 and the 45/70 is going up for sale.They are about the finest rifles for the buck I have run across.

BCRider
03-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Badgerredd, do think about the .38-55 option. When loaded to a cast lead friendly 1400'ish fps muzzle velocity the round generates a very mild recoil. Especially in a heavy single shot rifle.

nhrifle
03-11-2013, 02:35 AM
I had one of their Highwalls a few years ago, mounted a Soule tang sight, and found it to be one of the best paper patch boolit shooters I have ever had.

John Boy
03-11-2013, 07:22 AM
John Boy, I think it would be a grand gesture on your part or as the French would say, la beau geste if you would trade your Uberti butt stock for mine.
Gopher, yes I lucked out but here's the story behind that stock which may change your mind:
Looking at the new rifle more closely one day, I noticed a 3" hairline crack at the tang where it must have been whacked at the factory to fit to the action. Called Buffalo Arms for a replacement - nope, call Cimarron. Called Cimarron and after they looked at the picture of the stock, was told I'd play hell ever getting a replacement stock from Uberti equal to this one.
So, I repaired the crack, it is a 'broken' gun and I wouldn't want to have another owner have a piece of wood that is defective!:grin:
PS: The forearm is just as nice!;-)

Starvnhuntr
03-11-2013, 12:33 PM
I have one in 45-70. Ive had it for about five years.very good shooter.I can shoot about 4 inches at 100 yards with the factory buckhorn rear sight.had a horrible trigger from the factory at about 5 lbs. and you could actually hear it rasp when you were applying pressure.the local gunsmith smoothed it out and got it down to about 3.5 pounds. now its very enjoyable to shoot and a beautiful rifle to look at.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-11-2013, 04:16 PM
John Boy, I have a very nice rolling block with the same problem. A friend of mine had the rifle made up from an old beat up military piece of junk. It is in 40-65 Winchester. I tried to buy the gun for several years but he wouldn't sell even though he had not fired one in a long time. After he passed away he daughter said I could buy the collection complete with safe or nothing. I bought all of them. The wood he put on the rifle was made by Treebone and while the picture doesn't show it there is a lot of figure in the buttstock. After shooting it the first time I saw a very fine hairline crack at the curve of the pistol grip. I can see what happened. When it was inletted the person doing the job didn't remove quite enough wood for the lower tang. Everything was fine untill the rifle was fired, then the crack appeared. The crack is so fine I don't know how I could get enough glue into it without breaking the stock completly. Bugger.

John Boy
03-11-2013, 05:00 PM
The crack is so fine I don't know how I could get enough glue into it without breaking the stock completely.
To fix you'll need:
* Micro drill bit and hand drill
* Low and medium viscosity super glue ... http://www.votawtool.com/zcom.asp?pg=products&specific=jmrqlnmpo

- Drill holes at the ends of the crack into the stock . With a pin, push the medium viscosity glue into the holes
- Then with the low viscosity glue, multiple applications along the crack until the glue seeps through the stock and until you can see it coming through to the outside of the wood

With my crack, can't be seen unless I showed you where it is and then have to look closely

badgeredd
03-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Badgerredd, do think about the .38-55 option. When loaded to a cast lead friendly 1400'ish fps muzzle velocity the round generates a very mild recoil. Especially in a heavy single shot rifle.

YEP, I have considered it, but i have a Greener Martini in 38-55 so I have that cartridge covered.

Sunkist
05-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Both my shooting buddy and I shoot the 1885 in .45-70. He has the Soule sight and I have the Universal with a Hadley Adj. Disk. We love them and we never feel out-gunned. We clang the gongs out to 500 yds off x-sticks with BP loads and home casts. He shoots the 540 Postell from Lyman and I shoot Hoch's #459-500 semi spitzer bullet. We haven't gotten out any farther yet because there are too damn many trees in Minnesota. The Ballards and the Sharps are sexy but we hold our own.

Jbar4Ranch
05-07-2013, 09:42 PM
I've got a Uberti High Wall .45-70 that is a mediocre shooter - I think I just haven't found the right load for it yet.

I've also got this Uberti .38-40 Low Wall that is a tack driver.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/Uberti1885LowWall38WCF.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jbar4ranch/media/Uberti1885LowWall38WCF.jpg.html)

Clark
05-11-2013, 10:58 PM
I bought a Uberti - 1885 WInchester Highwall 28" 30-30 Round NIB
on line auction Ending Date: 06/30/2005 $525 + $20 shipping + $12.50 FFL transfer

I never fired it as a 30-30.
In August 2012 I removed the 30-30 barrel, cut threads, chamber, and extractor relief on a Shilen Select match #3 taper stainless steel .257" barrel 10" twist, and chambered it for 257 Roberts Ackley Improved rimmed.
I opened the extractor from 30-30 size to 257 Roberts rimmed size.
I designed and made a scope mount/ bipod mount/ sling stud mount that clamps on the barrel.
The Norma 7x57 rimmed brass that I necked down and turned the necks, is soft as butter and I could only get 3050 fps 115 gr Nosler Ballistic tip.
I shot 4 deer with it.

I really like the 1885.
Not as modern as the Ruger #1, but it gets the job done.

badgeredd
05-15-2013, 10:30 AM
I've also got this Uberti .38-40 Low Wall that is a tack driver.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/Uberti1885LowWall38WCF.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jbar4ranch/media/Uberti1885LowWall38WCF.jpg.html)

That's the one I was very interested in and I finally decided to go for it. Love the little cartridge and am developing loads for the gun. The chamber was a little rough with machining marks (which should not have been present) so I carefully polished it to smooth things up a bit. I am satisfied with the gun and will report back when I have worked up loads that fill the bill for me in the accuracy department. Thanks guys for the input.

Edd