PDA

View Full Version : 50AK in 1/18 suggestions

charger 1
08-15-2007, 06:53 AM
If'n you's were rebarreling in 50 ak and you were going 1:18 twist(out of necessity) what bullet weight would you's think? I know heavy chevy is the norm but I'm also a 0-100 yard point and click kinda guy. Our animals here are seen in milisecond flashes only. They allow for absofreakinlutely no drop compensation calculations. So I'm thinkin 425-450 gas checked with a 75% or .384 frontal dia and trying to bop em out round the 2000. What ya's figure?

45nut
08-15-2007, 11:44 AM
I use the Lyman 515141 and find no flaws. 450gr and it is a current offering.
Check wild west guns website for load data & do a google search, it will pay off.
What platform is the 50AK going to be in?

charger 1
08-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Its going on that 86 frame. I'd like to go gas checked

Bullshop
08-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Of the half dosen or so 50 ak I have had made I have kept ony one. They were built on 71 winnies and brownings and siamese mausers but my favorite and my keeper is on an origonal 86 win. This is the long barrel and full length mag tube and has such superb ballance for off hand shooting.
I went with a 1/22" twist as at the time I thought I may shoot some really heavy boolits. Even this was faster than needed so your 1/18" may be counter productave for lite for caliber boolits at fairly high velocity. I am wondering if you are using a machine gun barrel. I did build one from an surplus aircraft barrel with about that twist. It shot real good with hard 700gn gc boolits. It would get close to 1900 fps with that boolit.
For my 86 I had MT Dan cut an 510gn (ww) wfn gc that works wonderfuly well. I dont push the 86 too hard, my pet load pushes the 510gn at 1750 fps.
So far nothing up to the size of moose has stopped one.
We have shipped some of these to Canada but I dont think it was to you.
My feeling was that boolits in the 400gn range are about perfect for the 45/70 so going up in caliber would need a bit more weight. After the fact I feel I wouldnt change anything about this boolit as I am pleased in every way with its performance. Good fortune with your project!
BIC/BS

charger 1
08-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Of the half dosen or so 50 ak I have had made I have kept ony one. They were built on 71 winnies and brownings and siamese mausers but my favorite and my keeper is on an origonal 86 win. This is the long barrel and full length mag tube and has such superb ballance for off hand shooting.
I went with a 1/22" twist as at the time I thought I may shoot some really heavy boolits. Even this was faster than needed so your 1/18" may be counter productave for lite for caliber boolits at fairly high velocity. I am wondering if you are using a machine gun barrel. I did build one from an surplus aircraft barrel with about that twist. It shot real good with hard 700gn gc boolits. It would get close to 1900 fps with that boolit.
For my 86 I had MT Dan cut an 510gn (ww) wfn gc that works wonderfuly well. I dont push the 86 too hard, my pet load pushes the 510gn at 1750 fps.
So far nothing up to the size of moose has stopped one.
We have shipped some of these to Canada but I dont think it was to you.
My feeling was that boolits in the 400gn range are about perfect for the 45/70 so going up in caliber would need a bit more weight. After the fact I feel I wouldnt change anything about this boolit as I am pleased in every way with its performance. Good fortune with your project!
BIC/BS

Your right it is a machine gun barrel thats been machined down. I'm wondering why there will be a prob? I always thought there was no such thing as to quick a twist(within limits) Thats what uncle Veral told me.LOL. The lott shoves that 460 grainer along at 2400 and puts em on a pin. I guess my ignorance will not allow me to see why 1/18 is a prob

Bullshop
08-15-2007, 10:54 PM
I mentioned the twist possibly being a problem with light for caliber boolits because it is fast for caliber and with the lighter for caliber boolits having less bearing surface and being pushed hard may leave something to be desired for accuracy. For the most part shouldnt be a problem but when you pour on the coal is where the differance in bearing length makes a differance.
BTW the fella that chambered my air craft barrel told me he would never do another. He said the chrome plating chipped his reamer several times. Beware!
Yea there is such a thing as too fast a twist. Thats why a 458 winny at normal pressure for the cartridge wont shoot boolits as good as a 45/70 at the same pressure with what is a standard twist for the 45/70.
That 1/12" or 1/14" for the 458 is for bullets and the 1/18" or 1/20" in the 45/70 is for boolits. Sure nuf both can shoot boolits good but they will do it at differant pressures.
BIC/BS

charger 1
08-16-2007, 05:28 AM
I mentioned the twist possibly being a problem with
That 1/12" or 1/14" for the 458 is for bullets and the 1/18" or 1/20" in the 45/70 is for boolits. Sure nuf both can shoot boolits good but they will do it at differant pressures.
BIC/BS

I know the 458 WM dont shoot cast, but I was of the opinion thats its because of the mile long tapered throat in the chamber. Cause if I pipe that same load outta the lott, due to the boolit being properly supported we go right back to 45/70 accuracy. Not being argumentative, just what the findings have been among the shooters I know. Now having said that I'm probably going to try to get my hands on something around 1-30 just cause if I dont and I go against popular opinion I'll hate myself if it goes screwy having never dealt 50 cal before. Just finding one in this country is no mean feet

Bass Ackward
08-16-2007, 07:31 AM
Throat condition is very important to starting a bullet off. But a faster twist rate on lighter bullets means you have less of a lead bullet to hold the rifling.

I had two 458X2s, a 14 twist and a 20. The 14 is now dismembered because of this. It was superbly accurate if I wanted to stay soft and stay at 1000 fps. It was OK (MOA) at 1300 fps. But leave the "zone" for 45 caliber and you needed rocks or accept 4" groups. My 20 twist isn't as accurate a barrel down low, but at 2000 fps, it goes sub MOA. And I can do it with ACWW. Both cut with the same chamber reamer on the same machine, by the same guy, one right after the other.

Now ask yourself what is the life of a machine gun barrel? And how do they expect it to be abused? Do you think they take their time when they make those? What are the tolerances for acceptance in this case? Is that what you want for lead?

rockrat
08-16-2007, 09:25 AM
If you haven't turned down the barrel yet DON"T DO IT! If it is a decent barrel, you could probably sell it for around $500 and just order you a barrel from somebody to use for your 50AK. 50bmg barrels are scarce nowadays (MG barrels that is) and worth $$$. My AK has a 1-22 twist, but can't report on how it performs yet as just starting to work with it.

charger 1
08-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Just ordered a 1:32 from Douglas. It will be .510 I will shoot .512 in it. This will be good no?

Bullshop
08-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Now yer cookin with gas!
BIC/BS

charger 1
08-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Now yer cookin with gas!
BIC/BS

Well yer kinda right. I'm cookin with $'s I dont got which is givin me gas. Does that count?[smilie=b: