PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Honady LNL AP got ??

fido
08-15-2007, 02:06 AM
I’m biteing the bullet and getting one of these with the auto feeder. YeeeeeHawwww.:drinks:

Anyone know what shell plates are interchangeable?
I am loading 30-06, 22-250, 243 and 45 auto which I think are all the same base. Hornady lists the first 3 using the #1 shell plate and 45 auto using a #31 are #1 and #31 shell plates the same? Can I use the #1 for the 45 auto?

I will also be loading 223 #16 shell plate and 44 M/S #30 shell plate.

I am ordering from Lock Stock & Barrel the only extras I see is an extra case retainer spring.
How does the priming system work? I think I saw in a video, a person using a vibrating thing to fill tubes. Is that an extra? How is it normally done I can see dropping one by one down a tube to fill it being a PITA.

Is there anythin else I need besides all of the plates for the auto feeder.

Maybe in the future an auto bullet feeder but I’m not sure if they feed cast/lubed.:castmine:
Looking forward for your comments.:coffee:
Thanks
Stephen

TCFAN
08-15-2007, 10:44 AM
I have a Hornady ProJector in 45acp that I use the #1 shell plate for.Works fine .I think the #31 is for the 45 auto rim.
I would like to have the case feeder for mine but I am not sure if it would work....Any body know if they can be fitted to the older proJectors....Terry

crowbuster
08-15-2007, 12:36 PM
hey fido, you'll save some money if you order through midsouth shooters supply. and don't forget the get loaded promo.

Hairtrigger
08-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Here is a handy chart.
http://www.hornady.com/media/shell_plates_shell_holders.pdf
There is a guy on another forum that has a case feeder for sale. I guess my objective is not speed or I would need a feeder. I also inspect the case before I put it in the press.
You mentioned filling the primer tube. I purchased the Vibra-Prime for filling primer tubes. I love that little gizmo but have read of several people hating theirs. I guess I got luckey and have a good one.
I have a new #5 shell plate for sale if you reload any of those calibers.

fido
08-16-2007, 10:38 PM
I will have to check that out thanks guys.
Stephen

Waldog
08-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Like HAIRTRIGGER, I also have the Vibra-Prime tool AND, I also love it. It works great but, there is a learning curve. You have to hold the tool at an angle to get the primers to feed and it takes awhile to figure out what angle works best. I use this in conjunction with my LNL (Love that press as well!!) It takes about 12-20 seconds to load 100 primers in a tube.

Now for the bad news. They are no longer being made. I had heck of a time finding one. I ultimately got one from Midway. You can check around to see if any are in stock.

Good luck with the LNL. I think you will be VERY happy with your choice. I don't intend to offend the Dillon users; THEY ARE GREAT AP PRESSES!!
But, you are going to find the Hornady Powder measure a dream to use compared to the Dillon.

fido
08-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks Walt dog I will have to lok indto the vibra-prime.

Drifter
08-20-2007, 04:01 PM
fido,
You'll love it when you get it. I've had one for about five years and like it so well I bought another one about 3 months ago. I keep one set up for 9mm and the other one for .45 cal. They're easy to change over from one caliber to another but I like being able to set down and start loading without any changeover time.
Drifter

August
08-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Rather than the cartridge retaining spring (which can be instantly fixed if it comes apart), I would suggest that you get at least one extra ejection wire and at least one extra pawl.

You will also need to get a pistol rotor set for the powder measure. Midway has these for good price. Be sure to order the combination rotor/adjuster, that's a lot less expensive than buy the two part separately.

I, too, would suggest Midsouth supply for a better price. If I'm not mistaken, Midway has this press on sale this month, but for more than Midsouth is asking, I believe.

Hornady is extremely backlogged at this time. Try to find someone with shell plates in stock -- I found some at Sportsman's Warehouse.

It may take up to three months to get the various parts collected.

Drifter
08-22-2007, 07:34 AM
August,
I've read where some people think when the cartridge retaining spring comes apart it's broken and they replace it with a new one and in a short period of time the new one comes apart and then they complain that the springs don't last very long when in fact there's nothing wrong with them. A little trick I've found is to hold one end of the spring and unwind the other end a couple of turns before screwing the ends together. This usually fixes the problem of the spring coming apart.

I've never had a problem with the ejection wire but it could be because I don't use it. I take the finished cartridge off the shell plate and put it in the ammo box instead of letting it drop in the plastic bin.

I've not had a problem with a pawl so I can't comment on it.

I used the standard pistol rotor set for several years and was happy with it and then read somewhere about the micro rotor set, bought one and it made all the difference in the world, much faster to set, I would definitely suggest it.

Cheers,
Drifter

Baron von Trollwhack
08-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Mine came with the pistol rotor and the rifle rotor. The primer tubes fill ok manually for me. Be prepared to very carefully tune it up when you first set it up: for example, polishing the tops of the primer punches, carefully adjusting seat depth, F/L headspace, that kind of thing. I use a Forster seat die for 223 and have less than 1K runout. All factory adjustments were perfect. I like it a lot. BvT

Petander
08-26-2007, 12:02 AM
It´s a nice press - I don´t have any feeders but I´m very happy with this. I have used this for about four years, .357 to 30-06. Good ammo , no sweat.

Get some extra primer tubes while at it, they get empty fast.

The pawl can break if you use exessive force when something has gotten stuck, like a primer only halfway out. I´m not telling you how I found out about that. :roll: